Would You Loan It Out?

/ Would You Loan It Out? #202  
A neighbor who lives down the road from me, a neighbor who I've only met once or twice, finds out that I have a tiller. I have a Woods RT72.40 6ft tiller. Last spring, he "hired" me to till his garden plot, about a half acre. And by hired, I mean, I drove down the road about 10 minutes, tilled up the sod where he had marked, and drove home unpaid. He suddenly had to leave and never did pay the agreed amount of $50, which, in my opinion, was a steal. I really didn't care about the money, and didn't push for it.

This last weekend he calls me, first time I've spoken to him all year. He asked to borrow the tiller and informed me that he has recently purchased a new tractor.

Being the nice and helpful person I am, and realizing that this wont take much of my time, I reluctantly agreed. The tiller has been sitting all winter, so I brought it up to the shop, checked the gear oil, greased it, and slipped the slip clutch. I checked it all over for damage and set it next to my garage for an easy hook up to his tractor. He shows up in a small Branson 2400 21 HP at the PTO.... and backs up to my 6 foot wide tiller. Upon learning that his new tractor is only 24 engine HP, I advised that his tractor is simply not enough. I offered to use my tractor. He scoffed and said that he knows what he is doing, and he cannot afford my high prices! I left him to his work of hooking up to my tiller, hoping, at this point, that his 3 point wouldn't even lift it. But it did and he drove down the road.

He sends me a text message that afternoon: He said that the tiller worked very well. He was able to till at "15-1800 RPM, 1/1," and he needs to borrow it a bit longer. I needed clarification. Why so low of RPM? What is 1/1? Why does he need it longer?

Apparently, he is running as slow as the tractor could go: first gear, first range (1/1), and had to slow the RPM of the engine down to move slow enough across the ground, to do a good job. He needs it longer because he has decided to not only do the garden, but expand his garden, and also put in a big back yard.

My wife called me an idiot. Am I too nice? Too helpful? Would you have loaned your tiller (or other attachment) out to someone like this? He still has it, and I haven't heard anything back. I drove by his house this morning and I saw his garden is bigger, all tilled up, but couldn't see his back yard.

What kind of damage could I expect on my tiller of running it at low RPM on virgin soil? Its gear driven, so I assume the gears are taking a beating?
"Never a lender or borrower be " I believe to be a tried and tested position, particularly in this case. Your neighbor is taking advantage of you, rein it in asap. As another put it never lend anything with more than 2 working parts, I'd say 1 working part.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #203  
A neighbor who lives down the road from me, a neighbor who I've only met once or twice, finds out that I have a tiller. I have a Woods RT72.40 6ft tiller. Last spring, he "hired" me to till his garden plot, about a half acre. And by hired, I mean, I drove down the road about 10 minutes, tilled up the sod where he had marked, and drove home unpaid. He suddenly had to leave and never did pay the agreed amount of $50, which, in my opinion, was a steal. I really didn't care about the money, and didn't push for it.

This last weekend he calls me, first time I've spoken to him all year. He asked to borrow the tiller and informed me that he has recently purchased a new tractor.

Being the nice and helpful person I am, and realizing that this wont take much of my time, I reluctantly agreed. The tiller has been sitting all winter, so I brought it up to the shop, checked the gear oil, greased it, and slipped the slip clutch. I checked it all over for damage and set it next to my garage for an easy hook up to his tractor. He shows up in a small Branson 2400 21 HP at the PTO.... and backs up to my 6 foot wide tiller. Upon learning that his new tractor is only 24 engine HP, I advised that his tractor is simply not enough. I offered to use my tractor. He scoffed and said that he knows what he is doing, and he cannot afford my high prices! I left him to his work of hooking up to my tiller, hoping, at this point, that his 3 point wouldn't even lift it. But it did and he drove down the road.

He sends me a text message that afternoon: He said that the tiller worked very well. He was able to till at "15-1800 RPM, 1/1," and he needs to borrow it a bit longer. I needed clarification. Why so low of RPM? What is 1/1? Why does he need it longer?

Apparently, he is running as slow as the tractor could go: first gear, first range (1/1), and had to slow the RPM of the engine down to move slow enough across the ground, to do a good job. He needs it longer because he has decided to not only do the garden, but expand his garden, and also put in a big back yard.

My wife called me an idiot. Am I too nice? Too helpful? Would you have loaned your tiller (or other attachment) out to someone like this? He still has it, and I haven't heard anything back. I drove by his house this morning and I saw his garden is bigger, all tilled up, but couldn't see his back yard.

What kind of damage could I expect on my tiller of running it at low RPM on virgin soil? Its gear driven, so I assume the gears are taking a beating?
I would suggest getting your tiller back as soon as possible. I loaned a chainsaw to a neighbor not too long ago, and it was never returned. The neighbor said it was stolen.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #204  
Anytime someone wants to borrow something of mine it's broken or the battery is dead.
I follow that same policy with the exception of one friend/ former co-worker. I would and have often offered him to borrow things because he takes care of borrowed stuff better than his own, and if he were to damage something, he would either repair it (or more likely) buy you a brand new one out of guilt for having broken something belonging to someone else. That's just how he is. He is a very rare breed, especially nowadays.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #205  
The only people I loan equipment to are my parents. Anyone else you are getting me and my tractor too. Even then it’s a select few friends and not the only when I need it ones. I won’t even let the talk to you once a year “friend” hunt. Once you get it back in your possession and are driving away, kindly inform him not again.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #206  
Obviously the consensus here (and I agree) is not to loan out equipment, but some of the comments have been WAY too harsh IMO. You're obviously a nice guy and just trying to be a good neighbor, world could use more people like that. But, as you found out, your neighbor is a user. On several instances when someone asks me to borrow something, my response is no, but I will come over and do your project for you, In exchange for you doing something for me. As long as both parties agree, it works out. Been doing that for years.
Like some other poster though, I will loan out tools with 1 or 2 moving parts (hammer, hedge clippers, etc) because if it doesn't get returned, I'm not out much, and it guarantee's that they will never be able to borrow anything ever again.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #207  
This thread reminds me of one a few months ago. Problem with a chainsaw. About 10 comments “sharpen the chain yet?”. The op answered yes the chain was sharp. Then the thread went on for 10 pages with about every third comment “sharpen the chain?”

HE GOT HIS TILLER BACK!

/ Would You Loan It Out? #208  
To borrow anything from me you have to be a blood relative (three sons, one son-in-law) and most of the time I supervise the use of the tool or implement. Wifey would throw me out of the house if, for example, I hadn’t lent son-in-law a pump when his basement flooded. Still, I’ve had to do repair work when stuff came back, like a snowblower that was allowed to digest a rock.
As a few previous posters have commented, tool and implement rental shops are there for a reason.

I have developed a defense which I am not really proud of - creative fibbing. The snowblower now “won’t start without starting fluid” and the chainsaw “really needs a new chain”. It’s a strategy that I hate to use but it works.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #209  
Hang on to your wife she is SMART..

/ Would You Loan It Out? #210  
We used to call people like this leaches, not a popular term now days.

Hope you get the tiller back, and in one piece.
Leach or a mooch. They will keep doing it as long as they get by with it. If you give these type of people an inch,they will take a mile.