Would You Loan It Out?

/ Would You Loan It Out? #263  
Avenger thanks for coming back with an update.
I've been on the receiving end of bad borrowers too. I guess that's how we learn.
Over 30 years ago, I loaned a friend of friend a rifle to deer hunt. I was worried, but it was not a high $$ rifle, more of beater truck gun. It came back same as it went out. He even gave me the partial box of ammo he bought for it.
The next year he wanted to borrow it again. This time I never got it back. He told my friend it was stolen from his car, so not his fault. I have not seen him since.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #264  
I was chatting with my dealer's mechanic. He told me he has a tractor in the shop with the rear end snapped out of it.
Of course I was curious.
Apparently the operator had the rear tongue hooked up to something and the slop in the thing was enough that when he hit it, the impact was enough to break the rear.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #265  
To borrow anything from me you have to be a blood relative (three sons, one son-in-law) and most of the time I supervise the use of the tool or implement. Wifey would throw me out of the house if, for example, I hadn’t lent son-in-law a pump when his basement flooded. Still, I’ve had to do repair work when stuff came back, like a snowblower that was allowed to digest a rock.
As a few previous posters have commented, tool and implement rental shops are there for a reason.

I have developed a defense which I am not really proud of - creative fibbing. The snowblower now “won’t start without starting fluid” and the chainsaw “really needs a new chain”. It’s a strategy that I hate to use but it works.

Why do you feel you need a reason (or excuse)? Why not just say "No" when someone ask? You feel better, and they know where you stand on the subject. There is no come back from them with that reply.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #266  
When I saw Malala1 I wondered if you were from there, then I thought what are the odds, then I saw Oregon and that was as far as I got.
Do you know Luke and his wife the propane people? Good people. 🇺🇦☮️✌🏻
No I don't, I actually live closer to Colton, but have a Molalla address.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #267  
Avenger thanks for coming back with an update.
I've been on the receiving end of bad borrowers too. I guess that's how we learn.
Over 30 years ago, I loaned a friend of friend a rifle to deer hunt. I was worried, but it was not a high $$ rifle, more of beater truck gun. It came back same as it went out. He even gave me the partial box of ammo he bought for it.
The next year he wanted to borrow it again. This time I never got it back. He told my friend it was stolen from his car, so not his fault. I have not seen him since.
WOW!

/ Would You Loan It Out? #268  

Yep, me too. Looks like people who stiff someone helping them (like returning something broken) must mentally calculate that doing the right thing is more expense that the relationship is worth.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #269  
That sucks. But the first thing that struck me is in NJ any "transfer" of a weapon that is not done with the proper paperwork is illegal. They have what is called the "gun range exception" which allows someone to let another use their gun.

To loan a rifle you have to fill out a NJSP form, check that the other person has a Firearms ID card and each party keeps a copy of the form. Essentially sell it to them. Pistols may NOT be loaned.

"The applicable statute provides that the legal owner of the firearm, or licensed dealer, may temporarily transfer the firearm to another person who is 18 years of age or older, whether or not the person receiving the firearm holds a firearms purchaser identification card or a permit to carry a handgun. The person to whom the firearm is temporarily transferred may receive, possess, carry and use that weapon, if the transfer is made upon a firing range operated by a licensed dealer, by a law enforcement agency, a legally recognized military organization or a rifle or pistol club.

The law further states that the received firearm can only be used for the sole purpose of target practicing, trap or skeet shooting, competition upon that firing range, or instruction and training. Additionally, the gun may only be handled and used under direct supervision of the owner or dealer. Also, the transfer shall not exceed eight consecutive hours in a 24-hour period. And lastly, the owner or dealer shall not transfer the firearm to any person if he or she knows the person is disqualified from obtaining or holding a gun or any permit or license."

/ Would You Loan It Out? #270  
I probably wouldn’t loan it to him.

But I’m blessed with a neighbor across the street who used to own a dealership. When he had a heart attack at age 72, he let me disc up a cornfield for him. Now I blow his snow, he blades off mine if it’s an inch or 2 and lets me borrow his ATV & blade to help other neighbors. He just helped me put new seals in my front spindles. I’d trust him with anything and give him my garage key to use my bucket or blower if I’m out of town.

I’m blessed with another friend a 1/2 mile away and we trade implements. I ran his 1025R to carry dirt away while he ran a mini-ex to dig a foundation for a new shop. I’d trust him to run not only my implements, but my tractor as well.

All farm kids at heart who learned to operate equipment properly. And a mutual respect for each other.