Would You Loan It Out?

/ Would You Loan It Out? #271  
As soon as he said he can’t pay your high prices that would have been a major hit to my desire to loan him anything.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #272  
That sucks. But the first thing that struck me is in NJ any "transfer" of a weapon that is not done with the proper paperwork is illegal. They have what is called the "gun range exception" which allows someone to let another use their gun.

To loan a rifle you have to fill out a NJSP form, check that the other person has a Firearms ID card and each party keeps a copy of the form. Essentially sell it to them. Pistols may NOT be loaned.

"The applicable statute provides that the legal owner of the firearm, or licensed dealer, may temporarily transfer the firearm to another person who is 18 years of age or older, whether or not the person receiving the firearm holds a firearms purchaser identification card or a permit to carry a handgun. The person to whom the firearm is temporarily transferred may receive, possess, carry and use that weapon, if the transfer is made upon a firing range operated by a licensed dealer, by a law enforcement agency, a legally recognized military organization or a rifle or pistol club.

The law further states that the received firearm can only be used for the sole purpose of target practicing, trap or skeet shooting, competition upon that firing range, or instruction and training. Additionally, the gun may only be handled and used under direct supervision of the owner or dealer. Also, the transfer shall not exceed eight consecutive hours in a 24-hour period. And lastly, the owner or dealer shall not transfer the firearm to any person if he or she knows the person is disqualified from obtaining or holding a gun or any permit or license."
I am not in NJ.
My state requires paper work to transfer handguns, not rifles or shotguns.
This was probably 45 to 50 years ago. I learned my lesson.
It was a friend of friend, not a guy I knew. Same guy screwed over my friends parents after the rifle incident.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #273  
I haven't read all the replies, but has anyone said "no" yet? 😁

Really no right or wrong answer. Do what you want with your stuff knowing the potential consequences, meaning if someone breaks it and you get left holding the bag for repairs.

You sound like a nice guy and a good neighbor, but you need to listen to your gut. When this douchebag came outta the woodwork after no contact for a year AND not paying you the $50 for the work, your gut was likely screaming at you.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #274  
Whew, glad you got it back with no damage.
So are you going to make up an excuse next time he asks to borrow it?
or just flat out tell him no with no explanation?

You know he's going to ask again ....

/ Would You Loan It Out? #277  
WOW!! This thread blew up!

Like someone mentioned before, I think that because its resonates so well with everyone. I suspect that each of you, even the ones who have said they "never lend anything out, ever!" have loaned out something to someone at sometime. BUT, that's neither here or there. I'll continue to help those who need help. If that's doing the work, or loaning things out to TRUSTED individuals. That's my nature.

For all that missed it, I did get my tiller back! I drove the roughly 10 minutes down the road (in my slow tractor) to pick it up. It was unhooked in his driveway. I hooked up (using the hooks and balls, took me longer to hook up the PTO shaft than the 3pt) and drove the roughly 10 minutes home. I brought it up to the shop, hosed it off, and started inspecting it for damage. I didn't notice any. The oils looked good, the u-joints looked good. No dents, dings, or foreign objects wrapped around the tiller. I unhooked it in my lower lot, and went back to my other projects.

Since many of you noticed that my wife called me an idiot. She DID! She called me an idiot because she saw that I was upset. She knows NOTHING about implements or tractors. But she saw that I was having a hard time with my decision, a decision I already knew was a mistake, she said something along the lines of "Next time, don't be an idiot."

I'm the type of person, that, when asked, will do anything for you. Perfect stranger or best friend. If you ask for my help, there is a big chance that I will help you if I can. And yes, I've been taken advantage of. But most of the time, my help is paid back in some manor, be that with money, favors, or help in return. Example: I made a video of my new driveway (go check it out, link in my signature line). I casually mention that I'm "getting the hook up, from a friend who owns a landscaping supply business." He is also a neighbor! Lives about 15 minutes in the other direction of parasite neighbor. I've done many things for my helpful neighbor, his wife and mine are friends, our kids play together, and he basically installed my driveway (graded the hardpan, laid down a base, then topped it with gravel) for next to nothing! I had to pay the wages of the truck drivers and the grader operator. If I never helped out this neighbor, loaning him tools or implements, my time, etc, then I would have had to pay upwards of $20k for that road (thats what he quoted my neighbor whom I share the driveway with).

I've learned my lesson with parasite neighbors. I wont lend anything to him again. However, if YOU moved in next door, a perfect stranger, and you ask me to borrow my tiller, I'd probably let you have it.
I appreciate your attitude toward helping - it's refreshing. If the helpee doesn't behave properly, that's "on them".

/ Would You Loan It Out? #279  
I always tell anyone wanting borrow or have me do something with my tractor -- Sorry, I don't have any insurance on it or myself.
Just think if your neighbor or someone else got tangled up in that tiller while it was running.
You could lose everything you own in a lawsuit.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #280  
I have borrowed implements from other people mostly things that doesn't break very easily, but even then I hate it, most of the time they offer but even then I am reluctant to accept, but when I do I always bring it back as quick as possible and if I break it I make sure I tell them and ask if they want me to repair it or if they rather do it themselves and I pay for damage + inconvenient. With that being said I am also reluctant to let people to borrow things from me, with a stranger I would definitely say no.

For your neighbor to not pay you for the previous year service, is a good indication he has no honor and wouldn't pay you if he broke something.

You are not a idiot, you are simply agreeable. You need to practice being disagreeable and learn to say No, it is hard for a agreeable person to do so. You are not a bad person by putting yourself first.