eBay/Craigslist wow- ****** out there

/ wow- ****** out there
Ya win some and ya lose some, thats just the way it is with c-list.

Honestly, I cabt side with you on this without some hard numbers here.

What are you asking for it? What did he say he could get a new one for? What did he say the dealer said yours is worth?

Without knowing that, it is hard to say how I feel.

I buy and sell ALOT of stuff on c-list. And there are ALOT of things I run across that is WAY overpriced. Like 5 year old used implements for NEW price:confused2:

But there are also a lot of good deals to be had as well. And I too negotiate on EVERYHTING I buy, especially on c-list. But I am a reasonable guy. I will offer what I feel it is worth. Take it or leave it. If you are insulted, so be it. All you have to do is say no. But what have I (as a potential buyer) got to lose by asking?

So here is my Cl post: Mf GC2300 with FEL & TB

And here are some pricing comparos: MASSEY-FERGUSON GC2300, Used MASSEY-FERGUSON GC2300, MASSEY-FERGUSON GC2300 For Sale At TractorHouse.com - Page 1

There are some lower hour for less money, but there are also alot of higher hour for more money examples. I also looked at the "Built My MF" section of the MF website:
https://agco.bigmachines.com/commerce/new_equipment/products/model_configs.jsp

which says $13679 for a new GC2400 w/ FEL and turfs.

Guy said dealer told him he could buy a new one for $10,500 and that mine was only worth $5k- dealer being a dealer, just wants to sell a new tractor- either that or he never even talked to a dealer.

/ wow- ****** out there #22  
I have learned that things bother you only to the extent you allow them too. If someone offers me half what I am asking such as happened recently while selling a Great Plains No Till planter, I politely say we are just too far apart, wish them a good day and go about my life.

I once bought a like new S&W 649 for half its worth from a friend who was going from state law enforcement to federal where they only used issued Glocks. I told her what it was worth and what I would give her; we are still friends and my wife snagged the gun.

Life is short.

/ wow- ****** out there #23  
When I get a low ball bid, I just counter with a price higher than my original offer. When the bidder asks why the price is rising, I just tell them I thought you wanted to negoiate.

/ wow- ****** out there #24  
The problem with CL being free is anyone can ask anything they want and have nothing to lose. In the old days an average size ad cost you decent money to run and you could not start with a stupid high price (not referring to OP) just to see if there are any suckers out there.

You had to price it to market or you would be paying again to run the ad.

JB.

/ wow- ****** out there #25  
It's tough now to sell anything - if you've compared and feel your tractor is priced fairly, stick to your price. As for craigslist, the thing that gripes me is dealers attempting to sell items (cars, tractors, etc.) under the guise of being an individual. Craigslist even has separate listings now for autos and some dealers are bound and determined to place ads under the privately owned section.

/ wow- ****** out there #26  
It's tough now to sell anything - if you've compared and feel your tractor is priced fairly, stick to your price. As for craigslist, the thing that gripes me is dealers attempting to sell items (cars, tractors, etc.) under the guise of being an individual. Craigslist even has separate listings now for autos and some dealers are bound and determined to place ads under the privately owned section.

Absolutely, That's the good thing about CL, you are exposed to a huge market, way bigger and more accessible than any print ad.
If your price is even close to fair you should be able to find the right buyer.

I check out of state looking for roof slate that I use for my business. I can find ads in out of the way places, for the very specific material specs I need.
But I have to be quick and fair, I've tried bluffing, like I was not that interested, to try and get a lower price, only to have someone else buy it :mad:

You have to be fast with a good deal on CL as there are so many out there looking for the same thing as you. I lost out on some great deals because I was to slow!

JB.

/ wow- ****** out there #27  
Yup some people just dont get it. Found a bagger for my BX on CL. Guy wanted something like 1600.00 for it. He was fairly close by. Other I saw in the same condition were going 1200.00 but were much further. I offered him 1200.00 and got a nasty email from him about the offer along with some 4 letter words about me apparently. Well I lucked out and found an almost new (10 hours) at my local dealer. The guy was 70 yo and couldn't deal with putting it on and off so he sold it to me for 1250.00. Now the last add I saw for the original bagger I was gooing to get was down to 1100.00. Wonder if he was now regretting being an Ahole. I like a deal as much as the next guy but I am not going to pay more than what its worth, I am also not going to try and steal it from you. Just goes to show there are all types out there

/ wow- ****** out there #28  
.......Now the last add I saw for the original bagger I was gooing to get was down to 1100.00. Wonder if he was now regretting being an Ahole. .............

I doubt it. That's part of the problem. I think most of them don't even know that they are. :confused:

/ wow- ****** out there #29  
My old Dad always said " you won't get it if you don't ask for it".

That goes either way, buying or selling. If people can't handle that then there is probably no advice to give them.

We would ask for it, and they would act like we were crazy. Really, my wife and I were not wanting to get an insane discount or cheat someone out of what something was worth. We mostly would look at a place, say it would sell for this if it were perfect/new, and figure out what needed to be fixed and an estimated cost. That with 1 or 2 k low would be a first offer, because the first offer should never be your final offer. That was way lower than what they were asking, and at the level where you would never get a response from the seller. Not sure what they were thinking. They were trying to take advantage of the bubble and dump their crap on someone else, and get a new house price out of it.

And don't get me started on "Garage Sale" pricing. You should be glad if someone offers what they are asking at garage sales around these parts. You'd think the stuff were brand new and gold plated with the prices they put on the stuff they put out for the garage sale.:laughing:

/ wow- ****** out there #30  
Buying or selling, they can both present challenges. One thing I have learned is it pays to be a smart shopper and do your homework first before you go out the door to buy, or before you list something to sell. This goes for anything you buy or sell (golf clubs, a tractor, a house). It just seems the frustration level can go up rather quickly the higher the dollar value of the item.

If you do your own research and have that info available when trying to buy or sell, then you have those facts to negotiate with going into the process. It can be frustrating if you are setting your price based upon your emotional ties to something, or your "feeling" about what the price should be, or based upon incomplete research of the current market for that item.

I bought a tractor a few months ago (and a new house too after 6 years of looking), did my market research first, and I can tell you the market for used tractors is tough right now for sellers. I really wanted to buy a nice used tractor, and tried to deal on a few, but I ended up buying new. Because of the tough economy right now, many manufacturers are trying to compete for sales and are offering really attractive rebates/discounts/financing. As a result of this activity on new equipment prices, I believe this is causing both the prices and sales on used equipment to stagnate unless the seller is willing to be aggressive on cutting the cost to be competitive in the current tough economic environment.

In closing, here are a few thoughts I try to keep in mind when buying or selling.
1. You MUST do your own market research first and it helps to have a folder available with the facts you can present to justify your price. Otherwise, you really don't have any solid figures to start with, or to negotiate with when the time comes.
2. Do a fair analysis of both the general market and of the item you are trying to buy or sell, to set a fair asking/starting price. This can get complicated, but is necessary, and should be done with an unbiased and objective look at all the variables that go into the final price. You can have others help with this if needed.
3. If you are firm on the price, put that in your listing so everyone knows (or should know) up front and you don't waste people time.
4. On selling used tractors right now (and houses) you need to be willing to offer a discount that a buyer will find attractive in the current market, or you need to be willing to sit on the sideline and wait for the market to change in your favor.
5. Don't let emotions come into play, just deal with your market research facts and remember that at the end of the day it's just a business deal.
6. As a buyer, set your starting price a little low so you have room to come up if/when negotiations take place. As a seller, set your asking price a little high so you have room to come down if/when negotiations take place. Decide your final price before you even begin. In my experience 10-20 percent is standard wiggle room on making a deal from the starting price, but this can vary.
7. Any offer is always a good offer to start. Just remember it is simply a place from which negotiations can begin, and it indicates interest. You can then quickly determine how serious and reasonable someone is in their willingness to negotiate and make a fair deal. If the other party is truly willing to listen objectively to the facts you have brought to the table, and you have good facts, then you are half way home. If the other party has emotional ties to the deal, or is dealing with bad facts or assumptions themselves, then you can politely part ways and agree to disagree. Remember, there is some art to good negotiations and both parties should be willing to compromise at least a little so everyone feels they have made a good deal. It's also useful to know when a deal is not within reach and it is time to politely draw a line in the sand on terms and be willing to walk away. This last part can be hard to do, but it can useful for your piece of mind and sometimes can shift the deal in your favor.
8. Learning the art of negotiating is a useful and some would say necessary life skill for survival. If you don't already have these skills, they can be learned through much patience, and practice, practice, practice. Good stuff to teach your kids :D.
9. You will encounter idiots everywhere in life. It's up to you to learn how to deal with them and make sure they don't spoil your outlook on life :)! Just remember, there are lots of good folks out there too :thumbsup:!!!