X300 42" Mower Blades

/ X300 42" Mower Blades #21  
I kinda see your point, those options are there to help us. Like when I’m using the hair dryer while I’m soaking in the bathtub it should unplug itself or like when I’m using my chainsaw barefooted it won’t start until I put boots on.

/ X300 42" Mower Blades #22  
I know a lady who cut 2 of her toes off because her boyfriend disabled the switch. It could have been much worse. She wasn't a dummy either.

Maybe not a dummy, but far from smart and knowing how a lawn mower or lawn tractor works to cut grass. Her boyfriend deserves better, IMO.

But a seat switch is disabled on my tractors.

/ X300 42" Mower Blades #23  
All those safety options are to prevent stupid people from getting hurt and also so JD won’t get sued.
I'm a retired tractor engineer and worked on many of the machines routinely discussed here. It is hard to design power equipment for the masses as there are always people on the 'fringe' that really DO need every bit of safety you can design into a product. Some safety devices (like a seat switch) really does offer real protection without much inconvenience to the user.

RIO is a different animal. It doesn't stop a manufacturer from being sued. Any manufacturer with money is always going to be challenged in court. RIO does little to prevent a backover accident either as we all know you quickly learn the 'muscle memory' needed to lift the switch, not look back, and mow in reverse. RIO DOES change outcomes in court though. On every mowing session, on every reverse motion, the machine makes YOU RESPONSIBLE for overriding. Really hard to successfully blame the manufacturer then. Disconnect RIO... same effect. EVERYBODY hates RIO but this is the world we live in now.

What bothers me is that the underlying cause of backover accidents are never discussed. There are things we can do while operating equipment that can really make a difference in PREVENTING backover accidents. You just need to know the underlying cause.

RIO is on mowing equipment now primarily because of successful damages awarded in child backover cases. They are awful. Some are limited to backovers only while others fall into the most severe category: blade contact cases.

One underlying factor that often appears in backover cases is that THE CHILD HAD BEEN GIVEN TRACTOR RIDES. "Big deal.... it is safe. I've got a good hold on her. SHE WON'T FALL OFF" is the typical thought. The issue is that it teaches the child that tractors are FUN. Here is a typical accident scenario:
  • Toddler had routinely been given tractor rides
  • Parent is outside mowing while child is inside with supervision
  • The child disappears momentarily
  • Child approaches the machine from behind wanting another tractor ride
  • Operator does not know child is there
This is how it typically goes down. It is more common than you think too. DO NOT GIVE YOUR CHILDREN/GRAND CHILDREN TRACTOR RIDES! My tractors are always put away when grandkids come to visit. Teach your children that tractors can be dangerous and they shouldn't ever approach one without a parent.... you get the idea.

RIO will probably never go away but we can all do things to help prevent backover accidents. Hope this helps!

/ X300 42" Mower Blades #24  
I'm a retired tractor engineer and worked on many of the machines routinely discussed here. It is hard to design power equipment for the masses as there are always people on the 'fringe' that really DO need every bit of safety you can design into a product. Some safety devices (like a seat switch) really does offer real protection without much inconvenience to the user.

RIO is a different animal. It doesn't stop a manufacturer from being sued. Any manufacturer with money is always going to be challenged in court. RIO does little to prevent a backover accident either as we all know you quickly learn the 'muscle memory' needed to lift the switch, not look back, and mow in reverse. RIO DOES change outcomes in court though. On every mowing session, on every reverse motion, the machine makes YOU RESPONSIBLE for overriding. Really hard to successfully blame the manufacturer then. Disconnect RIO... same effect. EVERYBODY hates RIO but this is the world we live in now.

What bothers me is that the underlying cause of backover accidents are never discussed. There are things we can do while operating equipment that can really make a difference in PREVENTING backover accidents. You just need to know the underlying cause.

RIO is on mowing equipment now primarily because of successful damages awarded in child backover cases. They are awful. Some are limited to backovers only while others fall into the most severe category: blade contact cases.

One underlying factor that often appears in backover cases is that THE CHILD HAD BEEN GIVEN TRACTOR RIDES. "Big deal.... it is safe. I've got a good hold on her. SHE WON'T FALL OFF" is the typical thought. The issue is that it teaches the child that tractors are FUN. Here is a typical accident scenario:
  • Toddler had routinely been given tractor rides
  • Parent is outside mowing while child is inside with supervision
  • The child disappears momentarily
  • Child approaches the machine from behind wanting another tractor ride
  • Operator does not know child is there
This is how it typically goes down. It is more common than you think too. DO NOT GIVE YOUR CHILDREN/GRAND CHILDREN TRACTOR RIDES! My tractors are always put away when grandkids come to visit. Teach your children that tractors can be dangerous and they shouldn't ever approach one without a parent.... you get the idea.

RIO will probably never go away but we can all do things to help prevent backover accidents. Hope this helps!
Every machine needs a sticker: "This Machine Wants to Kill You".

/ X300 42" Mower Blades #25  
KevPH1,
Thanks for the information.
I'm not happy with the PTO shutting off in reverse either. I read somewhere that it could be overridden by clamping a clothespin or something similar under the RIO lever so that it stays up while you are mowing. That sounds OK but you have to remove it to shut off the mower. I have not tried this. I have gotten used to pulling up on the lever before going in reverse but sometimes I forget.
Another thing that bothers me about the mower constantly switching off in reverse is that it must be hard on the PTO clutch. New clutches are probably expensive.
Can you tell me how you solved your problem with the wire and wire tie? And does it cause any other problems?
I removed the mower deck for the first time and did it according to the owner's manual. After it was off I then found the square 3/8 hole in the idler pully tension arm which is used to release the belt tension wish this would have been more obvious to me before. Also, in replacing the deck, it helps to prop up the back of the deck with two 2 x 4's this makes lining up the holes in the mower deck brackets and rear draft arm a lot easier. The next time I remove the deck it should be much easier.
The more I use the X300, the more I like it. For my less than 1 acre lot with hilly areas, the 17 hp Kawasaki engine is more than adequate. It never seems to slow down. The separate forward and reverse pedals originally gave me a fit but I'm getting used to them also.
I'm glad you solved the PTO problem for your wife. Mine is happy to let me do the mowing.
I also have an X300 and I disabled the RIO by simply unbolting the switch from its bracket and zip tying it to the frame. That way the switch stays in the run position all the time. Works perfectly.

/ X300 42" Mower Blades #26  
My tractors are always put away when grandkids come to visit. Teach your children that tractors can be dangerous and they shouldn't ever approach one without a parent....

My tractors are always out when grand children and now great grand children come to visit. When they are out, they see and hear about what makes them run, how they start and stop with the controls, what moving parts can hurt them, and the list goes on.
Do that so they don't grow up without any knowledge, then go to a store and buy one without any knowledge. My thought is there are too many without a clue because they didn't have a parent or grand parent to give them knowledge and experience at an early age.

We see the "clueless" all the time.
* Mowing lawns with people and children playing in the lawn when mowing. clueless
* Pulling a child in small wagon towed behind a running lawn tractor while mowing - clueless.
* and many many more examples of clueless.