X300 Blade Spindles

/ X300 Blade Spindles #1  

bmg88201

Gold Member
Tractor
JD X300
I have an JD X300 and my blade spindles sound like they got gravel in them. So it’s time to replace them. The first set went out at 300 hours, now at almost 600 hours they went bad again. Is this par for the course, I grease them with two shots after about every third or fourth mowing. Is this too much ? Am I over or under greasing the spindles ? JD wants $70 per spindle. I keep my blades balanced and take immaculate care of my stuff in general. Just wondering what I’m doing wrong, if anything. Any input would be welcomed.

/ X300 Blade Spindles #2  
If grease isn't coming out past the shaft seals, you're not greasing them too much.
As far as life of the bearings, spindle bearings on the newer stuff don't seem to be as big as the older stuff. The ones on my 430 diesel's 60" deck went 25 years and over 1000 hours before one went bad. So I replaced them all rather than have to replace them one at a time.

Not sure what your skill level is, or what tools you have, but I would take them apart and replace the bearings and seals. If you don't have access to a press, a brass hammer or drift should be sufficient to drive the shaft out of the bearing/housing. They are most likely standard off the shelf items that most any bearing supplier, or maybe even NAPA might have.

One other item I'll mention, it that bearing life is directly related to how well the blades are balanced Out of balance blades put a lot of stress on spindle bearings.

What size deck is it? 38", 42", 44" or 48"?

Last edited:
   / X300 Blade Spindles #3  
Loosen the top nut flush and you can drive the shaft down with a socket on it and eventually out. Replace the bearings for less. These will have a bell type spacer, so it is easier to drive the top bearing out first. Honestly, you are getting good enough hours. These bearings are undersized. I find the cleaner people keep the deck with the hose, the sooner that I replace bearings. Even by 100 hours.

/ X300 Blade Spindles #4  
Wait until the mower cools off before hosing out the deck. Warm bearings will suck in water as they cool off. The grease fittings on the housings just go into the space between the bearings, it is supposed to keep water out of the space, the bearings are sealed so little or none of that grease goes into the bearing.

/ X300 Blade Spindles
I have a 42 inch deck, and yes I clean my mower throughly after each mow which includes hosing the entire mower off and blowing it off with an air hose. I balance my blades every time I sharpen them. I think I can replace the bearings but I got so much going on right now so I will buy new spindles and then repair the old ones later and have a have a set ready for the next time. I was just wondering about the amount of hours these spindles were lasting. I guess I just expect everything to last for decades, ha. Thanks for the input, it was very helpful.