X739 reverse button

/ X739 reverse button #1  

gjsnow

Bronze Member
Love my new X739. Quiet, smooth operation. Everything works as it should. The HC deck is superb, the HDAP tires don't scuff or harm even my soft shade lawn. Seems well made. I'm getting used to the drive over deck which is a bit fussy but the concept is good.
The only thing that is annoying is the reverse button. When the PTO is engaged, in order to go into reverse, you need to hold a button on the dash to keep the PTO running. Otherwise, the second the reverse pedal is touched, the PTO shuts off for safety.
I understand the extra safety concerns but this is too cumbersome to always lean forward and push a button to go into reverse. So far I have used my gorilla tape over the button to keep it engaged for mowing so I can freely go forward and reverse in my tight yard. Any other thoughts?
GJSnow.

/ X739 reverse button #2  
I use a Bic pen plastic cap beneath my switch to hold the knob/ plate upwards. Some use a short pencil or golf tee too.

/ X739 reverse button #3  
Not if actually sure if you meant say "HOLD". All you really need to do is push the button before your foot makes contact with the reverse pedal. Once you make contact with your foot you can release the button. It took me awhile to get this but now I don't even think about it. Left hand push the button, Right foot on pedal and right hand on the steering wheel. You still have the option of using the override on the PTO lever.

/ X739 reverse button #4  
If anything goes wrong and you are found wilfully over riding a safety system you will be "more" liable.

/ X739 reverse button
JBGood, what over-ride on the PTO lever?
I have only a switch for the PTO.
GJSnow.
PS Buick, I had a commercial deere front mower and the PTO never shut off riding in reverse. This is a bit "overly safety" conscious for my needs.

/ X739 reverse button #6  
JBGood, what over-ride on the PTO lever?
I have only a switch for the PTO.
GJSnow.
PS Buick, I had a commercial deere front mower and the PTO never shut off riding in reverse. This is a bit "overly safety" conscious for my needs.

"Overly safety conscious" does not exist in the court of law.

I keep trying to tell people, and no one listens. This is 2013. Not only do people sue for everything and anything, but documented evidence has never been easier to get. At any given time, people have cell phones on them which can record high quality video, audio, and take still pictures. Security camera systems for homes now are worlds ahead of where they used to be. Heck, someone could be filming someone else and accidentally catch you in the background, which is now evidence.

I am the prepared type, I document everything and anything. I have more cameras on my property than most stores have. They all record audio and video, and store for long periods of time. I have spotlights mounted in places you would never guess, until it is turned on. If I see anyone who looks suspicious, or is doing something suspicious, I will take pictures of everything I can. I am not paranoid by any means, I like to have gadgets, but I also like to be prepared, even if I know the chances of an incident are remote.

Picture if someones kid was hurt by your tractor at a family BBQ. On the deck, 100 feet away from you, someone was taking a picture of someone else. Without knowing it, the picture shows you backing into someone with your tractor. The first thing they would do is investigate that further. Sure, maybe you can pull out your pen cap immediately and throw it away, but chances are you won't think of it. Even if you do, I bet John Deere has a way of telling if that sensor was pulled upward for a long period of time with no release.

It's your tractor, and I am not calling you out. I am simply advising you to remember what kind of world we live in now. I am especially trying to point out how much media is out there today too. I have a 2012 X740, I share your pain. It is a PIA to remember that switch every time. After the first few hours, it will become second nature. For the one extra thing my brain needs to complete that takes 0.25 of a second, I will do it and avoid any kind of liability.

/ X739 reverse button #7  
I've had my x748 for 7 years, and the RIO has been jumpered out for 6.999 years. Life is too short to worry about being sued over such nonsense. You will really be cussing when you are blowing snow.
No offense JDTANK, but what you are describing sounds like living in HE11.

/ X739 reverse button #8  
I've had my x748 for 7 years, and the RIO has been jumpered out for 6.999 years. Life is too short to worry about being sued over such nonsense. You will really be cussing when you are blowing snow.
No offense JDTANK, but what you are describing sounds like living in HE11.

Nobody ever thinks it could happen to them.

/ X739 reverse button #10  
If you had a clothes pin in your pocket when you are mowing next time, I bet you could find a use for it.