XC drag build

/ XC drag build
I'm awaiting for a pan from Yellowstone track systems. I already have one here but need another for the 2nd drag This is what they look like and run about $1600 each.

unnamed.jpg

/ XC drag build #52  
I'm awaiting for a pan from Yellowstone track systems. I already have one here but need another for the 2nd drag This is what they look like and run about $1600 each.

View attachment 718906
i don't wanna sound like a geezer but.....i will.

i took up x country skiing in 1970. it was just becoming a thing. wisconsin has long winters!

looking at the trails you maintain and the equipment they have now, what a difference, looks like they made some progress in 50 years.

Our skis were wooden that you had to wax and the "boots" were like very thin leather slippers with 3 little holes in the front of the sole that located on 3 tiny pins.

either the boots came off your feet or they twisted around so bad the boot became a turnaquette (stumped spell check with that one)

trails? the first guy in line made the trails, like a bull dozer. kinda like a flock of geese, every so often it's your turn to lead!

wanna get some exercise? go x country skiing!

/ XC drag build
Work done over the past week. Extra 1/4" plates added to the hitch attachment mounts. Why would we do that?
P1020442.jpg

How the hitch will attach. Th holes in the ski plate are for mounting plastic skis. You can't see the rearward most one. These hdpe skis will be about 6" x 21" in size and what the front of the implement rides on.
P1020445.jpg

/ XC drag build #54  
We have 20-40cm of snow coming. Grounds not frozen but I’m sure some die hards will want some grooming done.
nice work Arly!

/ XC drag build
We have 20-40cm of snow coming. Grounds not frozen but I’m sure some die hards will want some grooming done. nice work Arly!
Thanks T chicken. We've been receiving skiffs of snow here but not enough to worry about. I just got my new snow tires ordered! I'll get some photos from this weeks drag work posted soon.

/ XC drag build
These 1/4" plates were added this past week. They hold the 2x2 tube across the rear that the pans are mounted to. These allow operators to adjust the position of the tracks across the implements back.

Yes, if I did this again, I'd have made them from a single .250 plate and reinforced the appropriate area's and cut them with a cnc plasma torch.

This shows the plates and how I cut the square holes out
P1020480.jpg

After they were welded on and the position of the 2x2.
P1020483.jpg

What this tube looks like on YTS implements.
Ginzu rear tube.jpg

/ XC drag build #57  
Groovy!

/ XC drag build #58  
Good work Arly!

You might think about making a stencil to use wit the plasma cutter. It's a thin plate with a cutout, say a C shape like you cut out, dimensioned so it allows for the width of the cutter nozzle. Just clamp it in place and run the torch around the edges for a perfect cut.

I have a set of these, which are very handy.

61SFtL4QS5L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Plasma-Stencil-Square-Cutter-Guide/dp/B01FL1BIEY/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3VLMTZUOFLJ9K&keywords=plasma+cutter+stencils&qid=1636857720&sprefix=plasma+cutter+stencils,aps,187&sr=8-4

61g9bfR0zaL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Plasma-Stencil-Circle-Cutter-Guide/dp/B00OCH0JMQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3VLMTZUOFLJ9K&keywords=plasma+cutter+stencils&qid=1636857780&sprefix=plasma+cutter+stencils,aps,187&sr=8-2

/ XC drag build
Good work Arly!

You might think about making a stencil to use wit the plasma cutter. It's a thin plate with a cutout, say a C shape like you cut out, dimensioned so it allows for the width of the cutter nozzle. Just clamp it in place and run the torch around the edges for a perfect cut.

I have a set of these, which are very handy.

View attachment 720709

https://www.amazon.com/Plasma-Stencil-Square-Cutter-Guide/dp/B01FL1BIEY/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3VLMTZUOFLJ9K&keywords=plasma+cutter+stencils&qid=1636857720&sprefix=plasma+cutter+stencils,aps,187&sr=8-4

View attachment 720710

https://www.amazon.com/Plasma-Stencil-Circle-Cutter-Guide/dp/B00OCH0JMQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3VLMTZUOFLJ9K&keywords=plasma+cutter+stencils&qid=1636857780&sprefix=plasma+cutter+stencils,aps,187&sr=8-2
Thanks Dennis, but I'm not the cnc torch operator nor do I own it. The fellow who operates it (its owned by the school) is struggling to get it to do this and that.

/ XC drag build #60  
Great build. I would love to see a video on the complete operation of that when it is all done, looks complicated lol, but very professional. My buddy and I have been grooming the local ski trails around here for over 15 years now. Our DIY equipment is no where as fancy as yours, but it works. I built all of it myself, roller, drag and track setter. We dont use the roller anymore for the big snow falls, we just drive around with our sleds first to pack it like you mentioned in one of your previuos posts. I built everything light so it could be pulled with a standard snowmobile but now we use a quad with tracks. Just last year we mounted the track setter to the drag so we can do one pass grooming which saves a ton of time. We just rely on the weight of the track setter to cut the tracks but i really like the idea of using jack to add pressure to a lighter smaller track setter. Our drag is extremley simple and is just built out of 3/6 x 2 angle and doesn't have a pan on the back to pack or corrigate the the final result but I would love to add that. I wll be following this to see the final result.