XUV835M

/ XUV835M #1  

bigtiller

Tractor
JD 2720 & 3039R
I bought this new gator and after scanning the owners manual I still have a question. To switch over to 4 wheel drive[4wd], I simply push a rocker switch on the dash. The manual said if I am not moving AND the rear tires are spinning, do not engage 4wd because it may damage the gears. So that's simple enough, stop spinning the rear tires and push the button.

My question, any other time I want to engage the 4wd, do I need to come to a stop or does it work like my GMC pickup, slow down and push the button?

/ XUV835M #2  
I bought this new gator and after scanning the owners manual I still have a question. To switch over to 4 wheel drive[4wd], I simply push a rocker switch on the dash. The manual said if I am not moving AND the rear tires are spinning, do not engage 4wd because it may damage the gears. So that's simple enough, stop spinning the rear tires and push the button.

My question, any other time I want to engage the 4wd, do I need to come to a stop or does it work like my GMC pickup, slow down and push the button?

I’m fairly certain you need to be stopped before you engage 4wd. I have learned to engage before you think you will need 4wd. I understand this sounds goofy, however it works well for me.

/ XUV835M
I’m fairly certain you need to be stopped before you engage 4wd. I have learned to engage before you think you will need 4wd. I understand this sounds goofy, however it works well for me.

That's what I have been doing, and just to be safe, I put the transmission in neutral before shifting into 4wd.

It sure would be convenient if it worked like modern trucks and suv's. I just don't know.

/ XUV835M #4  
Not sure on the new 835's but on my 12' 825i you can engage and disengage while moving with no issues.....I wouldn't engage it if the rear tires are spinning fast and the machine wasn't moving that would be a huge shock load on the front end....that said if I'm driving down a trail at 10 mph and see a mud hole ahead I flip the switch without slowing down....you can disengage anytime.

/ XUV835M #5  
That's what I have been doing, and just to be safe, I put the transmission in neutral before shifting into 4wd.

It sure would be convenient if it worked like modern trucks and suv's. I just don't know.

Below are screenshots from the 825 and 835 Operators Manual.

I stand corrected, the literature does not specifically state that you must be stopped to engage 4wd.

The only guidance provided is do not engage 4wd while stopped while the rear wheels are spinning.

825i

IMG_0201.png

835m

Adjustments.jpg

I apologize for my error

/ XUV835M #6  

I stand corrected, see post with additional information.

My bad

/ XUV835M
Below are screenshots from the 825 and 835 Operators Manual.

I stand corrected, the literature does not specifically state that you must be stopped to engage 4wd.

The only guidance provided is do not engage 4wd while stopped while the rear wheels are spinning.

I apologize for my error

Thanks Trails, I seen that in my manual, hence the original question.
I suspect that DIXIEDOG is more than likely correct about the new 835's but it sure would be nice if Deere gave a little more guidance.

I called my dealer and the young salesman didn't know. He also advised to come to a complete stop before shifting.
I asked him to report back if he ever found the answer from Deere.