Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #911  
Futures hit 680 for a bit yesterday then bounced back, up and down again today, now around 740.

Still don't know what that will mean for retail prices ... or when.

My target is about $10 for a 2 x 8 x 12. I don't buy until prices are in that area.
Holy moly that might be a long wait. 2 x 8 x 12 are $24 here.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #912  
Jon's working at the lumberyard, pushing a tree through the buzz saw, and accidentally shears off all ten of his fingers. He goes to the emergency room.

The doctor says, "Yuck! Well, give me the fingers, and I'll see what I can do."

Jon says, "I haven't got the fingers."

The doctor says, "What do you mean, you haven't got the fingers? It's 2021. We've got microsurgery and all kinds of incredible techniques. I could have put them back on and made you like new. Why didn't you bring the fingers?"

Jon says, "Well, ****, Doc, I couldn't pick 'em up."

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #913  
Nope!
Haven't worked for the past 21 years....and lovin every minute of it!
Well, in that case, I'd venture to say you put in your share of time and work and have earned this! And you've still worked for every dollar you now have.

And if you've been lucky enough to somehow get here without working much for it, then I'm genuinely happy for you and a little jealous! Lol

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #914  
Well, in that case, I'd venture to say you put in your share of time and work and have earned this! And you've still worked for every dollar you now have.

And if you've been lucky enough to somehow get here without working much for it, then I'm genuinely happy for you and a little jealous! Lol
I think "Oosik" may be the real TBN winner in the early retirement category.
Age 50 I think it was, for him!

Last edited:
   / Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #915  
Oh, are we going to start early retirement stories now? 👍 That's always interesting, hang on while I make some popcorn.

As for building with current prices; not everybody has time to wait for the world to move on. If you have a project planned and have the money go for it. How is it any different than going for a vacation trip or eating out at an expensive restaurant?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #916  
i check the craigs list materials section all the time.

yesterday a guy had 20 sheets of 1/2 inch osb, 4x8 sheets

new

less than. 1/2 price of lowe's, $20 each.

it was a few hours away or i would have snapped them up.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #917  
I was talking to the owner of a local lumber yard today. He said that no matter if he pays two dollars or ten for a 2x4, he marks it up 50 cents.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #918  
I think that's kind of how it is for us. It's a low profit margin and it stays roughly the same. Our company makes money on high volume. The mills are the ones raking in the dough through the recent price hikes.

In fact, our prices are based on the market. Right now we have lumber we paid the mills astronomical prices for, but we have to sell it to Lowe's based on current market prices. So we're losing our tail on most of the lumber on the yard right now.

Conversely, they will also buy up when it's low, sit on it a while (we have lots of storage facilities) and sell when it's high. I think in general they usually do okay with that. Win some, you lose some.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #919  
I think "Oosik" may be the real TBN winner in the early retirement category.
Age 50 I think it was, for him!
I do not think Oosik was that old when he retired, I was thinking 40.

At 40 I was just starting to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up 😜🤪🤪

Last edited: