Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #901  
I'm a consumer as well, so I'm glad to see the market correcting itself. I suspect it'll take a while, but by next spring I am guessing we'll be rolling again like normal.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #902  
There's always suckers that will buy. Not patient enough to wait.
I'm a consumer as well, so I'm glad to see the market correcting itself. I suspect it'll take a while, but by next spring I am guessing we'll be rolling again like normal.

Well I'm a consumer (but a contractor...) & I guess.. a sucker... I guess... but I'm in the industry & if I don't work (as a contractor) I don't pay the bills.... so currently we are making basically nothing on material with the time spent specking, procuring, & installing it... but again.... I'm a consumer & I guess.. a sucker... for some of us this is our livelihood...

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #903  
Well I'm a consumer (but a contractor...) & I guess.. a sucker... I guess... but I'm in the industry & if I don't work (as a contractor) I don't pay the bills.... so currently we are making basically nothing on material with the time spent specking, procuring, & installing it... but again.... I'm a consumer & I guess.. a sucker... for some of us this is our livelihood...
When I've hired contractors, they typically charge cost+10% for materials - so in that case, the sucker would be the person who hired the contractor being in too much a hurry to wait for correction. Of course, the contractor takes the hit when the consumer puts off the project...

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #904  
The consumer (in a real world environment) is never the sucker... they know the cost up front & agree to it... it is in the contract they sign (at least in my world).... sure they may be paying more, but they know that up front... & they agree to it... as a contractor you must provide that product.

the sucker would be the person who hired the contractor being in too much a hurry to wait for correction.

That may be the market in CA... not here.... I'm competing with un-licensed... Un-insured contractors that do not have the overhead or insurance that we have.... (insurance & workman's comp) & they under-sell legitimate & insured contractors everyday... I'm lucky enough to have my reputation & to stay busy with material prices being as high as the are...

Oh... & 10% does not even come close to covering the cost of the time it takes to procure, manage, facilitate, & manage the materials (not the labor)... this is prior to the install.... (on your next project be the GC & tell me what your time is worth)... You don't have to trust me.... just become a contractor...

I work for every $ I earn... & everyone of my customers will back that up for the past 18yrs..
If you really had to work for only 10% on your materials (in CA.. I'm in CT & couldn't do it) you would look for a different carrier.... especially if you knew how much time is spent designing, selling, obtaining, managing, delivering, & finishing a project (for a homeowner).... We do commercial projects also.... much more profitable...

I will agree with you that the consumer could wait for a reasonable market to hire a contractor but the consumer knows the cost up-front... It is in the contract (if you are dealing with a legitimate contractor).. so there are no surprises...

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #906  
ning,
10% Markup, or Margin??
Why bother owning your own business? You can't make it on that unless your goal is to work until you die.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #907  
I agree. The guys retired and doing nothing can afford to wait.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #908  
I'd venture to say that....most of us here
...are working...for every dollar...we earn...
Nope!
Haven't worked for the past 21 years....and lovin every minute of it!

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #909  
I'm still waiting for prices to go down. It may turn out my project will a next year project. It's just me, for me, so i have the luxury of waiting.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?
Futures hit 680 for a bit yesterday then bounced back, up and down again today, now around 740.

Still don't know what that will mean for retail prices ... or when.

My target is about $10 for a 2 x 8 x 12. I don't buy until prices are in that area.