Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?
#1,151  
LUMBER Commodity
1,114.30 +45.00 +4.21%
Official Close 12/13/2021

lurch6.jpg

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,152  
With all the storm damages wood prices could see increases IMO.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,153  

Now I'm thankful that I bought my sawmill... even if it is mothballed until spring.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,154  
So, if that article is correct, prices for my lumber should be up, too.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,155  
Any updates from ya'll who are tracking this? I'm contemplating having a garage built. Thanks! :)

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,157  
Any updates from ya'll who are tracking this? I'm contemplating having a garage built. Thanks! :)

It's not great. Lumber futures are currently trading at about $1160 per 1000 board feet. For perspective, $350 to $500 per $1000 b.f. was typical during the previous decade. In 2021, it peaked at $1500, and recovered to as low as $470 in September. Since then, it's been marching up. Inflation and fuel cost are adding to the problems.

I don't think you'll see favorable lumber pricing again for a while.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,158  
Right back up to almost what it was during the 'so called shortage'. Think I'd go with a brick house instead.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,159  
Right back up to almost what it was during the 'so called shortage'. Think I'd go with a brick house instead.
There was definitely a real shortage. I work for a company that treats lumber and ships it to Lowe's, builds and ships their fence panels, and remanufactures a lot of products from lumber, treats that, and ships it.

We struggled to get material in from Mills for a while. When Covid first started to get serious, many mills shut down or slowed production, anticipating the industry to halt with the Covid restrictions that were being put into place. However, businesses like Lowe's did not get shut down and were deemed essential, so business actually skyrocketed for us.

The mills were behind and demand was up, and apparently they can set prices wherever they like. Demand is up, supply is low, price goes up.

Business hardly ever slowed down, and I fear that prices will never again be what we used to consider "normal". Houses are flying up where I live left and right.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,160  
Anybody know if steel buildings are getting hit as hard with material costs as post/stick framed buildings? I know steel has shot up, but I don't know how quickly that flows through to finished product purchasers in that world.