Yanmar or Kukje?

/ Yanmar or Kukje? #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
Looking at TYM and in the sizes I need, they have essentially the same tractors but with different engines. The Yanmar is common rail, the Kukje is indirect injection. What do I need to know?

/ Yanmar or Kukje? #2  
Aren't BOTH diesels indirect injection???

That really doesn't have anything to do with common rail or not...

SR

/ Yanmar or Kukje? #3  

Hope this link works. Certainly has one man's opinion but lots of factual information as well.

The Kukje diesel engines offered in both TYM and Branson tractors are simply an A-series Cummins.

/ Yanmar or Kukje? #4  
Do a network search. Diesels are direct injection. Common rail is a newer technology and generally more fuel efficient. It is normally computer controlled and can adapt more quickly to changing conditions. It also tends to run cleaner.

/ Yanmar or Kukje? #5  
Do a network search. Diesels are direct injection. Common rail is a newer technology and generally more fuel efficient. It is normally computer controlled and can adapt more quickly to changing conditions. It also tends to run cleaner.
I dunno about the engines mentioned in this thread but my 40 year old Yanmar diesel engine is indirect injection.
Eric

/ Yanmar or Kukje? #6  
Isn't 'indirect' injection just with a pre-chamber while 'direct' has none? P-C could be a regular thing with common rail injection but may be less important with computer control than with traditional pop-off injectors. Computers will compensate for timing by more than rpm, taking load into consideration. Cleaner burn and perhaps greater economy are part of that sophistication.

/ Yanmar or Kukje? #7  
Isn't 'indirect' injection just with a pre-chamber while 'direct' has none? P-C could be a regular thing with common rail injection but may be less important with computer control than with traditional pop-off injectors. Computers will compensate for timing by more than rpm, taking load into consideration. Cleaner burn and perhaps greater economy are part of that sophistication.
Yes, indirect has a little chamber.
Eric

/ Yanmar or Kukje? #8  

Since the mid-90s, Mitsubishi tractors in the K3 & K4 Series and newer can be equipped with either indirect injection (IDI) or direct injection (DI). So, nothing is very new about either of the the fuel delivery methods. :)

/ Yanmar or Kukje? #9  

Now that is very revealing. Why would ANYONE right now want computer control. I know of a few owners with their tractors being down waiting on parts that have up to a 24 month delay on computer chip assemblies. Could you afford being without your machine for 24 months ??? All to save maybe an ounce or two of fuel per tank?

Back in 1998 there was a publication called, When The Chips Are Down, What Will You Do?. I forget the author/blogger in that era. The 14-chapters covered many instances of why computer controls can be overkill for convivence vs the necessity of doing the job. The book covered Y2K, UNIX, EMP and other ways the chips could go down and what to expect in a world without them. Oddly, in the Y2K chapter, life would just begin to level off in the year 2020 towards a recovery.

With the supply chain broken and with limited output, now is not the time to rely on chips. Dang tractors have been around longer than any other machine. In a SHTF event, tractors with no chips are a key source for all kinds of uses.

Last edited:
   / Yanmar or Kukje? #10  
"We must unite to eradicate these spiteful and insidious computer-control mandates!" 🤬

btw, a sickle was good enough for my Grandfather, it's good enough for me.