YANMAR RSB1401 tiller

/ YANMAR RSB1401 tiller #11  
Ok so it's mine and I'm picking it up Thursday.
Nice. So you can use the manual posted a few back in this thread. :)

Keep us posted. We'll want all the details please.

/ YANMAR RSB1401 tiller
Nice. So you can use the manual posted a few back in this thread. :)

Keep us posted. We'll want all the details please.
Grabbed the manual download already, thanks. I will take some pics when I get it home later Thursday.

/ YANMAR RSB1401 tiller
Just got back after a bit of a long day's drive and got her unloaded. Other then replacing the tines (they are done) and cleaning up and replacing some hardware it's in quite good condition. Had enough today so I'll go up to the shop in the am to play with hooking it up to the tractor and see how it goes. Luckily both side shields were still there.

Any suggestions on replacement tines, Hoye has the full set without the special offset left and right outers and just uses a normal L or R tine in it's place.

yt2.jpg
yt1.jpg
yt3.jpg
yt4.jpg
yt5.jpg

/ YANMAR RSB1401 tiller #14  
Just got back after a bit of a long day's drive and got her unloaded. Other then replacing the tines (they are done) and cleaning up and replacing some hardware it's in quite good condition. Had enough today so I'll go up to the shop in the am to play with hooking it up to the tractor and see how it goes. Luckily both side shields were still there.

Any suggestions on replacement tines, Hoye has the full set without the special offset left and right outers and just uses a normal L or R tine in it's place.

View attachment 759720View attachment 759721View attachment 759722View attachment 759723View attachment 759724

The only item missing from the tiller are the 2 rear rigged discs for hilling crops.

1661474830671.png

post-246-0-89442700-1412466271.jpg

With the disc right after the tiller, you can hill. This can be one all in 1-pass.

/ YANMAR RSB1401 tiller #15  
Don't order tines before you have tried tilling. Those may be sufficient regardless of how they look.

I was given a set of replacement tines with my RS1400 but I still haven't installed them. The original tines are worn nearly as much as yours, but still till as well as I would expect with new ones.

/ YANMAR RSB1401 tiller
Don't order tines before you have tried tilling. Those may be sufficient regardless of how they look.

I was given a set of replacement tines with my RS1400 but I still haven't installed them. The original tines are worn nearly as much as yours, but still till as well as I would expect with new ones.
Ok will do, otherwise are the Hoye replacements the go to at this point.

/ YANMAR RSB1401 tiller
The only item missing from the tiller are the 2 rear rigged discs for hilling crops.

View attachment 759744

View attachment 759745

With the disc right after the tiller, you can hill. This can be one all in 1-pass.
Fortunately it's not a feature that I looking to use since I'll be tilling existing lawn areas to expand my wildflowers beds in preparation for some bee hives next spring..

/ YANMAR RSB1401 tiller

I was just reading the thread about your Yanmar Tiller and was wondering if you ever replaced the lower bearing on the off side and if it's a concern.

/ YANMAR RSB1401 tiller #19  
I was just reading the thread about your Yanmar Tiller and was wondering if you ever replaced the lower bearing on the off side and if it's a concern.
I've forgotten, now. That was 2006?? when I bought it.

I recall I quoted Bud (import dealer, 'EFC') who said take out that bearing, throw it as far as you can, and replace it with a sealed bearing - because used Yanmar tillers had 20+ years exposure to wet muck before they arrive here. So when that rusty bearing seizes, it will destroy the shaft and the enclosure.

As I recall I found the bearing in excellent condition, repacked it, and put it back in service. I suggest this as the minimum for putting a used tiller in service. Since we till nearly dry ground, we don't risk the rust damage that Buck said he found in some used tillers.

/ YANMAR RSB1401 tiller #20  
No tiller in good condition would last too long at that price around here, much less a Yanmar tiller. Sounds like a good find. I agree with just use it before spending money on it, especially for what your planning to use if for.

Goes without saying you'll want to change out the oil, and grease her up good before use.