Tiller Yanmar Tiller just got home

/ Yanmar Tiller just got home #21  
I did? :)

I think the purpose of the special top link is to help prevent the tiller from hitting the rear tires. As normally mounted the tiller is tucked in close to the tires and if lifted up using a typ upper link it is likely the tiller would hit the tires. With the very short top link, as the tiller is lifted it also piviots back away from the tires thus providing clearence.

Noticed villengineer mentioned how nice a job these tillers do. If you loo at the link California posted, at the bottom is a post I made that shows how fine these tillers work up the ground.

/ Yanmar Tiller just got home #22  
Mickey_FX, The only lever turbopiper can be refering to is the one that releases the whole guage wheel frame. You discussed it earlier in the thread. None of the pictures or diagrams of the special top links that I've seen show any levers that can be actuated by the operator, so I assume that's what he is asking about. I just thought you did a better job of describing it than I could do, plus you had pics.

/ Yanmar Tiller just got home #23  
Villengineer said:
Mickey_FX, The only lever turbopiper can be refering to is the one that releases the whole guage wheel frame. You discussed it earlier in the thread. None of the pictures or diagrams of the special top links that I've seen show any levers that can be actuated by the operator, so I assume that's what he is asking about. I just thought you did a better job of describing it than I could do, plus you had pics.
Yes, this is the lever I was referring to.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=100372&stc=1&d=1208226375

I'm still playing around with the tiller and the soil is getting a real workout. :)
I was playi... experimenting last weekend with the row widths and I overlapped each tilled row by half, creating two+ foot wide rows instead of one 4-5 foot wide row, and the last row was the full width of the tiller. Has anyone ever done this? Is there an advantage to doing it this way? The wife liked it and mentioned it would be easier to water with the narrower rows.

This is our first garden of this size as you can tell... it's about 50x25, maybe a little too big, we'll see.

Attachments

• HANDLE.jpg
    HANDLE.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 755
   / Yanmar Tiller just got home #24  
Mickey_Fx said:
I did? :)
Noticed villengineer mentioned how nice a job these tillers do. If you loo at the link California posted, at the bottom is a post I made that shows how fine these tillers work up the ground.

My neighbor thinks it does a preety decent job. A few weekends ago he was watching me play around with the tiller, and I mentioned anytime he wants to use he can. So I tilled a 40 foot section for his watermelon patch.

That's when he asked me why I decided to get a tiller for the tractor. I explained to him that I knew the wife wanted a garden when we moved onto the property, I didn't know how big or how small at the time. I watched him and his wife using their 5hp tiller. Him behind it and his wife on the JD lawn mower pulling with a tow rope. I watched them for ten minutes, and I was wore out.:eek: I wasn't looking forward to that much work!!!

So when I decided to get a tractor, I decided to ask about getting a tiller also. I sure am glad I did..... I think my neighbor is also.;) He's 73 years old, outwork me in a heartbeat.
Ted

/ Yanmar Tiller just got home #25  
i am hoping to pick up a 1400 tiller for my ym2000. hope i dont get outbidded like last time.

/ Yanmar Tiller just got home #26  
On my tiller the top crank controls the tiller depth and the side lever frees up the whole wheel assy so it floats on the ground but does not control depth.

On the special top link, it only controls the "rotation" of the tiller as it is lifted and insures the tiller doesn't hit the rear tires.

/ Yanmar Tiller just got home #27  
turbopiper said:
Yes, this is the lever I was referring to.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=100372&stc=1&d=1208226375

I'm still playing around with the tiller and the soil is getting a real workout. :)
I was playi... experimenting last weekend with the row widths and I overlapped each tilled row by half, creating two+ foot wide rows instead of one 4-5 foot wide row, and the last row was the full width of the tiller. Has anyone ever done this? Is there an advantage to doing it this way? The wife liked it and mentioned it would be easier to water with the narrower rows.

This is our first garden of this size as you can tell... it's about 50x25, maybe a little too big, we'll see.
This is what I was talking about with overlapping the rows. Is this a weird way of doing this? Does anyone have a picture of their garden to share?
Ted
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=100419&stc=1&d=1208305727

Attachments

• rows01.jpg
    rows01.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 455
   / Yanmar Tiller just got home #28  

One comment: I haven't seen a mention of the upper link 'bridge' that is needed to reach out from the tractor to that special short Yanmar upper link. This 'bridge' has two holes and is pinned to the upper/lower upper link holes on the tractor, so the rearmost end of the 'bridge' maintains a constant height. With the short upper link pivoting around this extended swivel point, the tiller lifts high without being drawn forward into the tires. Be sure you get the 'bridge' and its mounting pins, along with the special short top link.

if you are not familiar with this part, here's a picture of one for a Mitsubishi. Yanmar's look about the same.
View attachment 100171

Hi from NZ, Can you please give me the dimensions of the Yanmar upper link bridge that you posted the photo of. Reason is I have just bought a used Yanmar RCB1503 tiller and it came with a quick hitch and driveshaft. I am having problems fitting it to my Universal (Fiat) 45DT tractor, because the drive shaft has much too much angle when the tiller is lifted. Your description of the 'bridge' sounds like what I need to make the tiller fit my tractor. I will try and make a 'bridge' top link and the dimensions would be very helpful. Thanks

/ Yanmar Tiller just got home #29  
Hi from NZ, Can you please give me the dimensions of the Yanmar upper link bridge that you posted the photo of. ... I will try and make a 'bridge' top link and the dimensions would be very helpful. Thanks
Hopefully someone can post the actual measurements. You might need to post your inquiry in the Yanmar forum here where more Yanmar owners will see it.

I'm home in town and won't get back out to the ranch for a few days so the best I can offer is photos. It appears that the 'bridge' is about 60% the length of the standard top link, and the special replacement top link is about 40%.

Here are two photos. I copied the red Yanmar photo from here. I assume it shows standard hookup on a smaller Yanmar, maybe a 1610. Note the driveline angle.

The green Yanmar in the second photo is my YM240 (YM2000 equivalent). Note mine has oversize tires (12.4x24) and as I discovered, longer lower 3-pt arms to space the implements out beyond these larger tires.

After I took this photo, I had to put an extender on the tractor's pto output because the Yanmar tiller driveline was to short to use with the longer arms and didn't have sufficient overlap between its two parts. Now using the pto extender (not shown), everything works correctly.

Attachments

• 814358-tiller3(RS1400).JPG
    814358-tiller3(RS1400).JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,526
  • P-1-1060300rTillerLinkage.jpg
    P-1-1060300rTillerLinkage.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1,140
   / Yanmar Tiller just got home #30  
I just got an RS1303; for $200!

It is missing the guidewheels, and 6 tines.

Where is the best place to get tines?

How much do they cost?

I know everyone here likes pictures, so here they are:

P5040010.jpg

P5040011.jpg