Yanmar YM1700 (Green)?

/ Yanmar YM1700 (Green)? #2  
Interesting! From the looks of it, It appears to be originally green, I've not seen a 1700 with this type sheet metal/hood , although have seen this in other size ym's , Looking closely I can see the original mint color on the trans./engine/running gear. if it were a repaint this area would likely have been repainted as well,

/ Yanmar YM1700 (Green)? #3  
Your photo is a YM1700-Early with that sheet metal. About 1975~6. Its correct body color is the green you see in my avatar. Same colors apply to its larger twin YM2000.

Your Craigslist version of green looks to be a repaint. I think that is a later hood decal too.

They went to front hinge hood and red paint for Second Series after a couple of years production. A few parts are different between first/second series, not much. After this many years the two versions should perform identical.

Here are sales brochures for the Early and Late US version of YM2000. (The US Yanmars stayed green through Second Series). YM1700 is nearly identical to YM2000 but with smaller-bore cylinder sleeves, smaller tires etc.

/ Yanmar YM1700 (Green)?
I called the owner and spoke with him about this tractor. He was told it had new sleeves and rings when he purchased it. It had began to smoke a little but as his son was mowing a week or so ago it blew the dipstick out and had bad blowby. I believe they pulled it to the shed to park. The owner is on the road at this time but planning on trying to crank it in the next few days and hopefully learn more. Son said tractor never knocked or made unusual noises. Owner also stated it still had coolant. This is my story and I'm sticking to it. Based on that what's the diagnosis? I've an opinion but want yours first.

/ Yanmar YM1700 (Green)? #5  
Combustion in the crankcase and no coolant loss ... Cracked piston or rings?

Maybe the rebuild didn't leave enough ring gap.

We'd like to hear what you find.

/ Yanmar YM1700 (Green)? #6  
" Son said tractor never knocked or made unusual noises " Hmmmmm.... Must not have ever gotten it started:D

/ Yanmar YM1700 (Green)? #8  
   / Yanmar YM1700 (Green)? #9  
It had began to smoke a little but as his son was mowing a week or so ago it blew the dipstick out and had bad blowby.
Here's a pic. of my 2000 DS. :eek: My parts book # DS-1250 for the 195,240,1700,2000,2210, 3000,3110,3810,4300. Must of been one heck of a blast to blow the DS.out.:laughing:

Attachments

• 003 (2).JPG
    003 (2).JPG
    744.8 KB · Views: 341
   / Yanmar YM1700 (Green)? #10  
Here's a pic. of my 2000 DS. :eek: My parts book # DS-1250 for the 195,240,1700,2000,2210, 3000,3110,3810,4300. Must of been one heck of a blast to blow the DS.out.:laughing:

mine is the same.. except painted yellow!

I'd expect a detonation inthe crankcase to blow that sucker out!