Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan?

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #161  
wasps, hornets and yellow jackets are all vespids. bees are not vespids

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #162  
Not being sarcastic at all. There aren't enough wild bees as it is and to assume they are vicious is incorrect.
Oh BS. I do not assume anything about ground bees -- to assume they are NOT vicious and aggressive is what is badly incorrect. I have years of experience with them and they are VICIOUS. They ARE aggressive. I've been attacked by them in many different circumstances. Ground bees (logically) are only a very tiny % of the pollinators among the wild bee populations. Protecting ground bees is like petting copperheads.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #163  
I think you got your stories crossed. These are honey bees and were not aggressive. Poster was only concerned because of his allergies.

Yellow jackets are a type of wasp, not a bee. This is where poor regional terminology ends up having bad consequences.
The title of the thread says "yellow jacket nests." The OP does not say anywhere in this thread that HE is allergic to them. He has friends who are, he said. Consensus here (and pretty well everywhere) is that ground bees and yellow jackets that are nasty, aggressive, can sting multiple times, etc. are the same thing. [Granted there are other types pf 'yellow jackets' much larger, etc.] Unlike honey bees. Whether they are true "bees" to a biology teacher doesn't matter a whole lot. These aggressive pests are very different from honey bees. I don't think my stories are crossed. How so ? Of course allergies and protection from anything that stings is a very different issue than for the rest of us.
OBTW, the OP said the context was running over them while bush hogging. Since honey bees build their nests in hollow trees (NOT in the ground mostly, in the wild) my guess is he is not bush hogging hollow trees.

Last edited:
   / Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #164  
Oh BS. I do not assume anything about ground bees -- to assume they are NOT vicious and aggressive is what is badly incorrect. I have years of experience with them and they are VICIOUS. They ARE aggressive. I've been attacked by them in many different circumstances. Ground bees (logically) are only a very tiny % of the pollinators among the wild bee populations. Protecting ground bees is like petting copperheads.
Oh, so you're one of 'those' people who always have to be right no matter what. It is obvious from the pictures that these were not 'ground bees', as you call them, but honey bees living on a hollowed out tree and not in the ground.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #165  
If I were king, a vicious animal would not determined by breed or popular vote, but rather by whose butt is being bit, stung, kicked, etc.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #166  
Oh, so you're one of 'those' people who always have to be right no matter what. It is obvious from the pictures that these were not 'ground bees', as you call them, but honey bees living on a hollowed out tree and not in the ground.
... I am one of 'those' people who like to see things be right, unrelated to me or what I may think, and unrelated to you or what you may think. The hollowed out tree you mention was interesting but off on a tangent relative to the the original post. Never even came up until post # 149. The original post and the title, in case you care to sometimes be right, says "Yellow jackets" which are, in context, Ground Bees. Certainly not honey bees.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #167  
... I am one of 'those' people who like to see things be right, unrelated to me or what I may think, and unrelated to you or what you may think. The hollowed out tree you mention was interesting but off on a tangent relative to the the original post. Never even came up until post # 149. The original post and the title, in case you care to sometimes be right, says "Yellow jackets" which are, in context, Ground Bees. Certainly not honey bees.
See, you keep saying that, but have already been proven wrong. Yellow jackets often live in the ground, but are not bees. You can call them land sharks or flying raptors, but that doesn't make it true or accurate.There are actual bees that nest in the ground that are called ground bees. Take the opportunity to learn.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #168  

Ground bees and yellow jackets aren’t the same thing. 2 seconds on google and you can find an image of both. Other than the fact they sting and fly they aren’t even close to the same thing. Yellowjacket’s are in the wasp family.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #169  
Ground bees and yellow jackets aren’t the same thing. 2 seconds on google and you can find an image of both. Other than the fact they sting and fly they aren’t even close to the same thing. Yellowjacket’s are in the wasp family.
Frankly my dear ... call them whatever you like. Most of us know what they are. Most of us know which ones are vicious and aggressive and chase you after inadvertent stirring with a bush hog. 168 post s ago I think that was the topic...

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #170  
Frankly my dear ... call them whatever you like. Most of us know what they are. Most of us know which ones are vicious and aggressive and chase you after inadvertent stirring with a bush hog. 168 post s ago I think that was the topic...

You can call this insect whatever you want but it’s not a ground bee or even bee. They are vicious and aggressive and they do live in the ground (usually) but they aren’t ground bees.

Attachments

• IMG_2883.JPG
    IMG_2883.JPG
    620.5 KB · Views: 72