Yellow Jackets

/ Yellow Jackets #41  
Yes, they got me, about 6 or 7 places. The bites are itching this morning.

Good thing I had that hat with a netting on it that I bought in Oz. Tucked it into my old ski parka and parka into very thick sweat pants and those into high boots. Had gloves with parka sleeves snapped over them. They didn't get me with all that on when I rescued the Gravely.

Let them have it with some Sevin dust last night. Will check to see how well it worked the next couple of days.

Ralph

/ Yellow Jackets
Yeah, please let us know how the Sevin dust works. I've always used gasoline- - - & it has worked OK.

/ Yellow Jackets #43  
I used to use sevin on everything.. but have switched over to the permethrin dusts. It works in about 1 minute once the insect comes into contact with it. A tad more agressive and more $$ than sevin.

Soundguy

/ Yellow Jackets #44  
The best thing I have found is to wait until after dark when they are all in the nest and pour a gallon of gas down the hole. DO NOT light it! The gas will kill the whole nest out.

Bill Tolle

/ Yellow Jackets #45  
A box or half a box of moth balls dumped into the whole will do it too.. without the obvious environmental impacts. Plus.. with the cost of fuel.. a box of mothballs is cheaper by far than gas.

Soundguy

/ Yellow Jackets #46  
The gas is a lot quicker and a lot more lethal. If you are careful and put a match to it it is a lot prettier especially after dark,just be careful and make sure it is not too dry out to burn.

/ Yellow Jackets
As many have posted, there is no reason to light the gas once introduced into the y-j hole.
I'm not sure mothballs would fit down the yellow jacket holes that I've seen. But, if it works for you . . . .

/ Yellow Jackets #48  
Kerosene is a lot safer than gasoline. My father has burned himself on his legs at least 2 times in the last 15 years by lighting gas used as a weed control and as a solvent. Butane evolves from gasoline and will go to a low point, generally around your ankles. You could end up with a big explosion of underground gas with bee nest stuff flying all over you by lighting gas poured down the hole.

The approved stuff in Virginia is Sevin dust or pyrethrin foam spray.

Wish they'd check out something like Orange Guard. Might be maybe the most environmental stuff. It apparently kills flying bees. Don't know how it works sprayed into the hole.

Ralph

/ Yellow Jackets #49  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> there is no reason to light the gas once introduced into the y-j hole. </font> )</font>

Sure there is...its fun to watch.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif