Yellowjacket trapping report

/ Yellowjacket trapping report #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
I started a thread a while back about trapping yellowjackets. Best time is when temps get into the mid 70's and higher. Here in northwest Oregon we have had rain, rain, rain with highs in the 50's and 60's and today (Sunday, 6/13) is our second nice day with sunshine. In May we only had about 6 days with no rain and it was cloudy and cool when it didn't rain with one only day when it hit 70 degrees.

Finally put out 2 traps on Thursday because of forecasts for 80+ deg. temps on the weekend. Didn't quite happen. Yesterday we had highs in the mid 70's and today barely into the low 70's.

Saturday I caught one queen.

Sunday, 3 more.

All catches are in the same trap. This location is always the best, sometimes catching up to 50 while other traps catch 1-3.

Time to move the second trap.

I sure could use a few days with 80+ degree temps.

Forecast is for temps in the 60's for 5 of the next 7 days, with 2 days forecast for 72. Not going to be a very good trapping year. I was hoping to post a bragging pic of my trap with about 50 queens, but I doubt I'll get more than a dozen or so.

The good thing: Very few queens came in with our firewood over the winter, I killed very few on the wood before bringing it in (I usually kill about 50 on the wood), so the overall population may be down this year. And, the cool, wet spring will slow the population build up.

/ Yellowjacket trapping report #2  
I sure haven't seen many here in the Seattle area this year. Had a really small one that found me though. Got in my pants leg and stung me on the knee cap when I sat down. Didn't even know he was there until I got stung. He became very flat, very quickly!:laughing: Realized it was a Yellow Jacket after I shook the carcuss out of my pants leg.

/ Yellowjacket trapping report #3  
I have a bunch buzzing around my place trying to get in. Any help would be great, i hate those things:D

What type of trap are you having success with?

Also, have you tried the fake nests that you hang to keep them away? I wonder if theyre worth the money?

/ Yellowjacket trapping report #5  
I purchased two Rescue traps that Pilot mentioned and while I only caught three queens, I haven't seen any other yellow jackets either. We're usually inundated with them. So, I think I may have stopped a hive or two.

I noticed that Lowes had the Rescue attractant and I bought some more. I assume what came with the traps has lost it's scent as it says it will only last a couple of weeks. I've been waiting for a string of warm sunny days to replenish the attractant. Sadly, we've not had many of those yet.

/ Yellowjacket trapping report
Jason,

Here's my previous post with most of what I know about them: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/170632-get-ready-trap-yellowjackets.html

The most important things about trapping yellowjackets are:

Trap the queens before they make hundreds of workers. There's no way you can trap enough workers to make a difference.

Trap when the weather warms up--75+ is best, below 70 is almost worthless, except up north where you live it's 21-24C.

Location, location, location: If one spot doesn't work, move the trap. Move it 50-100 ft.

/ Yellowjacket trapping report
Coachgrd: Yes, they say to add more attractant after 2 weeks. The stuff dissipates gradually and will actually work longer than 2 weeks. Might dissipate faster in warmer areas. If you think you need full strength, add attractant in a couple weeks, but the queens are only out for a month or so around here. After that, they are all underground.

/ Yellowjacket trapping report #9  
Thanks pilot.

Hornets have just gotten active around here in the last week or so (at least thats when they started around my house).

I found a small nest under my eve, which i killed.

Went out today and bought a trap and 2 of the "fake" nests. The girl at the store recommended it. Must be working, because i only saw one all afternoon and he didnt stick around, This is the same place where there was many hanging around this morning.

So far the fake nest seems like a good thing.