Yesterday. Would you buy and EV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #131  
Also keep in mind you will probably pay $20-50k for that 8kw array to be installed on a residential home.

Summary: Huge waste of money.

15KW installed at residence… $22,570
When I shopped, $1.50/W was a decent installed cost.

Would agree, $50k for 8kw system would be a huge waste of money. That is robbery. Good on the salesman for that bonus though!

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #132  
So: does it make any sense to own an EV, even with gas at $5. NO!
Anyone who would spend $41K on an electric toy car.....well, there's a sucker born every minute according to PT Barnum--current rate appears to be closer to 1 sucker per second.

Here is the argument. Cracks me up every time.

- This Timex is so superior to that Rolex, such a sucker to buy a Rolex.
- This 1 bedroom studio apt is so superior to that 3/2 brick ranch house on 5acres, such a sucker to live in country with expensive house and all that maintenance
- This push lawn mower is so superior to that riding mower burning all that extra gas. So wasteful!! Such a sucker.

To say initial purchase price is irrelevant is crazy.

Equally as crazy as indicating someone interested in a new 50k EV would be as equally interested in a 8k used base Ford Focus with 123,000mi on the clock.

Think we all agree the 8k vehicle will win out in overall economy.

Those interested in the 50k EV, probably just not interested in driving that 8k hot rod.

Cute arguments though.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #133  
Again, that is a big no for me.

Screenshot_20220623-003503.png

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #134  
You post was simplistic in nature.

Compare emissions output of fossil fuel power plant and a typical internal combustion engine for the same kw output.

My response was equally as simplistic.

I’ve been pretty steadfast that my interest in EV or PV is not environmental based, but economy based.

I’m aware of the pollutants produced from all sorts of mining, production, farming, living, cow farts, whatever…
Thank you. I try to keep things simple….. as opposed to the “if you cant dazzle ‘em with brilliance, baffle ‘em with BS” strategy.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #135  
Correct, they don’t make sense for ALL.
Makes sense for many.

Definitely don’t make sense for those
Looking for a pretty decent return on investment.

5-7yrs for me right now. Panel life at 30yrs, if they make it half that, do it again as they will likely pay for themselves and then some all over again.

Let’s face it, at this time, with the cost around $65,000 and the extra cost of adding a charging system, it’s still a wealthy persons toy.
Not to mention apartment dwellers…..still no feasible for them unless they have off street parking and really good access to charging stations.
Gonna be interesting to see what happens when a half dozen of them lose charge on the GW bridge or Lincoln Tunnel in a long term traffic jam!

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #136  
Let’s face it, at this time, with the cost around $65,000 and the extra cost of adding a charging system, it’s still a wealthy persons toy.
Not to mention apartment dwellers…..still no feasible for them unless they have off street parking and really good access to charging stations.
Gonna be interesting to see what happens when a half dozen of them lose charge on the GW bridge or Lincoln Tunnel in a long term traffic jam!

Standard model 3 in the $48k range now + TTL I’d call Teslas a ‘premium EV brand’ currently. With costs and options to well above $100k

Other manufactures offer lessor cost options.

Plug in Hybrids for instance there are a number of options in the 25-35k range.

Not much different than an economy civic or Camry in the 25k range.

Straight Economy EVs:
Nissan Leaf in mid 20s
Chevy bolt in the low 30s
Hyundai in mid 30s

So I’m not totally understanding how EVs are totally ‘out of reach?’ Seems economy ICE to economy EV are at least comparable?

Apartment dwellers Id assume are largely in the very short commute crowd. A low range battery and often without need to charge everyday.

Personal friend had a Model 3 in a house, without charging station for 4-5 years and was not a problem for them. Living in LA with commutes of varying lengths.

I am not suggesting right for everyone.
I am not supporting mandates.
It is a progression of technology similar to many other progressions we have witnessed.

There was a time a cell phone was a wealthy persons toy, with terrible coverage, high first cost and expensive by minute calling. Now they are extremely affordable (government provided in many cases)

Computers used to be a rich man’s luxury, now they are disposable.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #137  
What percentage of the population drive more than 250mi/day for 95% of the year?

I live in Texas. I don’t live in the city.

Prior to EV I stopped for fuel every 2 days (2-3 times per week) for ‘10mins’, now I haven’t fueled for my commute since getting an EV. I’ve saved over 2 hours of these 10 minute stops in the past few months.

Nothing against a Prius, had family with a string of em (Big fan of Toyota/LX in general) But arguments based alone of initial cost of vehicle are often special. You’d probably be a lot cheaper if you drove a $1,000 used motorcycle in lieu of that Prius. It would be cheaper for my commute as well. Why don’t we do that?

Poor comparison.

Just as poor as the comparisons I could buy a used car for $10k and get great mileage and never meet the cost of an EV…. No kidding. Some don’t want to drive a $10k car.

PV ROI often less than 10 years.
5-7 for me currently. To some that is intriguing, others don’t care to reduce cost.
a lot of people don't qualify for a loan to buy an expensive vehicle, or realize they can't afford the payments if they did qualify. That's why they drive a $10k vehicle.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #138  
So I’m not totally understanding how EVs are totally ‘out of reach?’ Seems economy ICE to economy EV are at least comparable?
seems you don't understand how many people are just struggling to get by on minimum wage.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #139  
Standard model 3 in the $48k range now + TTL I’d call Teslas a ‘premium EV brand’ currently. With costs and options to well above $100k

Other manufactures offer lessor cost options.

Plug in Hybrids for instance there are a number of options in the 25-35k range.

Not much different than an economy civic or Camry in the 25k range.

Straight Economy EVs:
Nissan Leaf in mid 20s
Chevy bolt in the low 30s
Hyundai in mid 30s

Apartment dwellers Id assume are largely in the very short commute crowd. A low range battery and often without need to charge everyday.

Personal friend had a Model 3 in a house, without charging station for 4-5 years and was not a problem for them. Living in LA with commutes of varying lengths.

I am not suggesting right for everyone.
I am not supporting mandates.
It is a progression of technology similar to many other progressions we have witnessed.

There was a time a cell phone was a wealthy persons toy, with terrible coverage, high first cost and expensive by minute calling. Now they are extremely affordable (government provided in many cases)

Computers used to be a rich man’s luxury, now they are disposable.

1. Wait, what? Why are apartment dwellers “short commuter crowd”? How do they all charge batteries? Throw long extension cords out the 14th story windows? All of them? Every night?

:ROFLMAO:

Long term traffic jam on bridge problem resolved when car batteries die? 95 degrees? 0 degrees?

Cell phone poor example. Small compact easy to recharge.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #140  
seems you don't understand how many people are just struggling to get by on minimum wage.

Are those folks lining up to buy new vehicles currently of the ICE variety? Or participating in used market already anyways?

Or not at all, minimum wage with any vehicle purchase price, fuel, maintenance, insurance, registration is a stretch.

What are we trying to compare here?

Status
Not open for further replies.