Yesterday. Would you buy and EV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #161  
I'm curious how much of the cost of building and/or maintaining natural gas plants is due to government regulations and EPA obstruction.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #162  
The 50 MW gas turbine plant required a full time crew to monitor and adjust...

The only maintenance I've done to home solar was efficiency related... in periods without rain a simple rinse with garden hose and bi-annually adjusting the angle to optimize

Last edited:
   / Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #163  
Extreme cost of windmills & solar? Where did you come up with that? As an engineer for the owner of 2nd largest installed base of solar and wind turbines in North America I beg to differ. Solar system are much cheaper to build than natural gas plants. Natural gas plants average $812 per kW. Utility solar plants are considerably less than $200 per kW, Also keep in mind the cost to run a solar plant in zero. Certainly not zero for a natural gas plant. Also maintenance costs ar much higher on natural gas plants

Andy
Yeah extreme costs, like we already have power plants and don’t need to build solar or windmills to begin with.
So you can beg to differ, but thats what I mean by extreme costs, they arent even necessary.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #164  
Yep, it's all a scam. It's targeted towards people who are worried about what other people think of them.
Sad isnt it? Some people get up every day and worry what other people think of them.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #166  
Back to the original theme, "Would you buy and EV?"

No, I don't believe I would. Economically they seem overpriced and a bit too one-dimensional.
The environmental aspect is important to me, but I'm not convinced that the battery-only type EV's are the answer.
The ecological math just doesnt work for me, plus I don't like single-sided solutions.

There might be a hybrid in my future someday. They check more of the right boxes.
rScotty

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #167  
Volts we’re almost given away a few years ago with $199 lease and one of our office staff bought one… she wanted a Honda but cost a lot more and Chevrolet had a big promotion across from Honda.

She liked it so much she bought it at lease end and could have sold for a small profit on the buyout.

I’ve been in it many times and no issues… perfect for her city commute and the $800 allowance was enough to add a charge hookup at her apartment.

If they travel they can always take the husbands car…

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #168  

That’s actually part of the problem with EV’s…EV owners I have interviewed and know personally have two things in common; they are multiple vehicle households (which include at least one ICE vehicle…that they can use in an emergency or recreationally) and are affluent. All enjoy their EV’s.
Even if they can’t park them in the garage for fear of the vehicle spontaneously catching fire and burning their house down. But, seriously, they all have backup vehicles so when driving the EV isn’t convenient, they use the ICE vehicle, emissions be damned.

It’s gonna get ugly for the consumer if legislation forces the population to buy EV’s only.

Mike

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #169  
Volts we’re almost given away a few years ago with $199 lease and one of our office staff bought one… she wanted a Honda but cost a lot more and Chevrolet had a big promotion across from Honda.

She liked it so much she bought it at lease end and could have sold for a small profit on the buyout.

I’ve been in it many times and no issues… perfect for her city commute and the $800 allowance was enough to add a charge hookup at her apartment.

They were practically given away because they were bursting into flames and people were scared $hitless of them.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #170  
They were practically given away because they were bursting into flames and people were scared $hitless of them.
Could you provide link confirming even one Volt having a battery fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.