Yet another oil filter comparison, but a good easy watch.

/ Yet another oil filter comparison, but a good easy watch. #1  

tomplum

Elite Member
Tractor
XJ2025H
When you have 15 minutes to relax and watch a video, it makes you wonder what you just screwed on your vehicle, tractor, bike, mower. How many here have filter cutters?

/ Yet another oil filter comparison, but a good easy watch. #2  
Not all Fram filters are created equal and yes I have a Motion Pro Filter cutter and use it. As an aside, the dud needs a barber..

/ Yet another oil filter comparison, but a good easy watch. #3  
When you have 15 minutes to relax and watch a video, it makes you wonder what you just screwed on your vehicle, tractor, bike, mower. How many here have filter cutters?

tomplum,

I do have a filter cutter and have posted several times about the nine Honda CRV filters I cut open in 2020.

I stop trusting the commercials and hype and cracked open a group of filters that fit the 2016 Honda CRV to learn who made what. Turns out many of the filters are from the same manufacturer but with different brand names and price points. Some of the most expensive filters being sold looked to be the most prone to failure having been made from sub standard materials.

I plan on replicating this for the other half dozen different vehicles to add to the database.

/ Yet another oil filter comparison, but a good easy watch. #4  
Back before I retired, I regularly delivered strip steel to an outfit in Cleveland, Ohio that made oil filters. Interestingly, the only thing that changed was the lettering and paint on the outside of the filter. The guts were the same constantly. I know, I watched them being produced.

Why I have a Motion Pro filter cutter now. Once you open them up, you soon see the good from the bad.

/ Yet another oil filter comparison, but a good easy watch.
A filter cutter could be an interesting thing to get. Doing OPE work, I remove a lot of different types of filters. Though I mainly install OEM filters for folks with a few exceptions. I had opened a new box of Kohler oil filters this past week and noted that they looked different. last years made in USA are now made in India. A lot of OPE fuel filters come from India, some China. Briggs and Kawasaki look like they rolled off adjacent production lines.

/ Yet another oil filter comparison, but a good easy watch. #6  
Why I have a Motion Pro filter cutter now. Once you open them up, you soon see the good from the bad.
I have been cutting filters apart for decades and I agree, it is easy to see the good and bad. The newer OEM Harley filter in the video is just shameful. The name on the box isn't what makes a good filter, it's what is inside.

/ Yet another oil filter comparison, but a good easy watch. #7  
A filter cutter could be an interesting thing to get. Doing OPE work, I remove a lot of different types of filters. Though I mainly install OEM filters for folks with a few exceptions. I had opened a new box of Kohler oil filters this past week and noted that they looked different. last years made in USA are now made in India. A lot of OPE fuel filters come from India, some China. Briggs and Kawasaki look like they rolled off adjacent production lines.
Be apprised, they aren't cheap but you can cut a can with a cut off wheel if you do it carefully. I open my used filters all the time and lay out the pleats to see what might be lurking in them. I will say that the Kubota OEM filters I use are consistent in quality and filter media (amount).

I have cut a Fram Ultra Guard in the past and was not impressed at all. In fact I switched to Baldwin in that application. Baldwins appear to be a much better alternative and cutting them open reveals a very consistent build.

Like everything in life, you get what you pay for.

/ Yet another oil filter comparison, but a good easy watch. #8  
Here is my Taiwanese Proform 66490 filter cutter I bought in 2020. It came with spare cut off wheel.

Here is Chinese less expensive now available knock off

And because this is a tractor forum, included are two pics of Kubota's high and low pressure hydraulic oil filters. Kubota M59 has two low pressure filters ( Left pic ) that incorporate a magnetic ring at filter inlet. Both of my filters's magnets were clean until I set then down on the lathe bed and voila, magnets loaded up. The filter cutter will cut Kubota low pressure filters but not the much thicker high pressure filter. These Kubota filters are both original install OEM filters, that is why they are gray.

The high pressure filter on right was cut with lathe and parting tool. Note the very thick aluminum base. For fun, I tried cutting a portion of the high pressure filter with abrasive cut off wheel but stopped due to concern with contaminating the filter with steel dust during cut off. Very tedious and throws lots of grinding dust.

Attachments

• Filter Cutter.jpg
    Filter Cutter.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
  • Kubota High & Low pressure filters.jpg
    Kubota High & Low pressure filters.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • Kubota High Pressure filter on R.jpg
    Kubota High Pressure filter on R.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 61
   / Yet another oil filter comparison, but a good easy watch. #9  
Your first one is about in line with the Motion Pro I bought some years ago. It was made here. I try to avoid all the import stuff as it's usually inferior (as the reviewers state). The Motio0n Pro also takes a Ridgid cutting wheel.

/ Yet another oil filter comparison, but a good easy watch. #10  
Here''s something for y'all to look at:

willy