Yet another subcompact thread.. Small backhoe, BX vs Rural King

/ Yet another subcompact thread.. Small backhoe, BX vs Rural King #1  

Overtaxed

Tractor
Kioti NX6010, JD 2720 w/46BH, Honda Pioneer 1000
I know, and I've read them, but I'm wondering if the entry of Rural King into the market changes the equation at all. I already have a 60HP cabbed tractor and while I could just got an get the backhoe for it, I'm not too keen on taking it on and off every time I need to use an implement on the "big tractor". So, given that the BH for the Kioti is 8-9K, I decided to just look at another tractor as the carrier for a BH. So, while my post didn't say it, my primary use for this machine will be digging (trenching for water, small tree planting, moving some dirt around my property to open some areas up). Yes, I know there are "real" BH's in this size range, they are too pricey. And I've considered a mini-ex, in fact, I have one sitting outside right now that's a rental, but it's so special purpose, I'm just afraid I won't get the use out of it. So, I started looking at something like a BX and found a few locally in the 12K or so price range. Thought that was a great deal, and frankly, the BX is so common and such a good size for many people, I'm not worried about buying it and deciding it's "not enough", I'm sure I could resell it next year for near what I've got in it if I buy used.

So, my mind was pretty made up, and then.. Then Rural King had to go an sponsor a poster here who made all these great videos talking about how great the little TLB is from RK. Took a look at their pricing and its only about 2K over what I was planning to spend for a used BX. Called the dealer up in NC, great guy, nice to talk to, no negotiation on price, but there's a 8-12 week wait to get one and they have none for a test drive or even to look at before buying.

Now, I'm locked in indecision. The RK tractor looks very comparable to the BX, but with a big increase in FEL lift capacity. Other than that, it's mostly spec for spec with the RK beating it in some, the Kubota in others.

Anyone debating this or debated it and made a decision? The big unknown with the RK, what if they stop making it/support it and the bottom falls out on the prices? The biggest thing in the Kubota's favor, honestly, is that the market for them is so strong, if this machine doesn't do it for me and I decide on a mini-ex next year, I don't want to lose 10K. And if RK stopped selling them at the end of this year, that's exactly what I fear would happen. I'm less worried about support, the RK is pretty far from me, but I have a trailer that can handle it no problem and I do most wrenching myself anyway.

So, tell me I'm not alone in this! It seems like the decision just got a lot harder, thanks a lot RK.

/ Yet another subcompact thread.. Small backhoe, BX vs Rural King #2  
Seems like an easy decision to me. Buy the BX and sleep well at night knowing you can use it for a couple of years and get most of your money back when you sell it.

The alternative is buying something brand new, untested and unknown both to you and whoever you try to sell it to. Buying new and untested machines with no dealer network is for people who like to gamble. I'm not one of them.

/ Yet another subcompact thread.. Small backhoe, BX vs Rural King #3  
The RK24 is the tractor you must purchase to get the backhoe and it's $16997 for the tlb package. That is $5k more than the BX. A Massey GC1710 would be about the same price as the RK with a larger dealer (Nance Tractors) not far from you and it would have a better resale similar to the Kubota. Or just get the BX used and sell it for not much loss later.
$5k more. Lol, your math is fuzzy - you've been setting off too many Excalibur's from my man Poor Paul's and hitting the Blackberry Cider from Abbotts. Since I only have 1 gallon of Peach Cider left I'm jealous of you. Get the used tractor. :thumbsup:

/ Yet another subcompact thread.. Small backhoe, BX vs Rural King #4  
So, while my post didn't say it, my primary use for this machine will be digging (trenching for water, small tree planting, moving some dirt around my property to open some areas up). Yes, I know there are "real" BH's in this size range, they are too pricey.

So, my mind was pretty made up, and then.. Then Rural King had to go an sponsor a poster here who made all these great videos talking about how great the little TLB is from RK. Took a look at their pricing and its only about 2K over what I was planning to spend for a used BX.

First, don't skip over LS or Massey in your search. They seem more than comparable and may even be better than Orange in some areas. You'll have to decide that. I've kind of decided to avoid Orange (at least that Orange) based on the excess hype I've seen here, unless I find the right deal used. I will NOT be buying new Orange.

Second, in some of my searches, I've seen used full sized Case and other brand hoes in the $5K range that the sellers say are in good condition.

/ Yet another subcompact thread.. Small backhoe, BX vs Rural King #5  
IMO.. I think you'll see RK flame out in 3-5 years (depending how long their contract with TYM is). This is not a new concept, and its flamed out every time its been tried.

/ Yet another subcompact thread.. Small backhoe, BX vs Rural King #6  
^^ Maybe so, but TYM will probably still be around for parts and service.

/ Yet another subcompact thread.. Small backhoe, BX vs Rural King
First, don't skip over LS or Massey in your search.

Well, thanks for nothing!! So, I contacted the local MF dealer, a 1720 he can do at pretty much parity with the RK, right around 17K. The 2 used options I'm looking at are a 2014 BX25D at 14,500 and a 2011 BX24 at 13,900. The Kubota and JD dealers are both close to 20K on the respective models (new, of course), so those are pretty much out of the running. I could probably talk both used sellers down a little, maybe 14K even for the 2014? But 3K isn't that big a difference, especially if I could own a RK or MF for a few years and sell it for ~3-5K under what I paid for it.. Seems these things don't depreciate that much, and I wouldn't be rolling a lot of hours on it, it would be almost a purpose built backhoe/FEL for me, my bigger tractor is perfect for all my other implements, I'd be surprised if I do 100hrs a year regularly on this machine.

I'll see what I can find out. The FEL capacity of the RK is really exceptional compared to the competition, beyond that, everything else looks pretty "even" JD/Kubota/MF/etc.

IMO.. I think you'll see RK flame out in 3-5 years (depending how long their contract with TYM is). This is not a new concept, and its flamed out every time its been tried.

Exactly my fear. And yes, parts will still be around, but the value of the machine might (probably will) drop like crazy because it's an "orphan". And that's my biggest concern, I'm hoping I can do 80% of what I need with this BH and the other 20% I'll rent a mini-ex. If I find that I can only to 20% of what I need with the little BH and wind up with a mini-ex for a month or 2 a year in rental, I'm gonna sell this and buy a mini-ex, and I'd like to avoid taking a big depreciation hit.

/ Yet another subcompact thread.. Small backhoe, BX vs Rural King #8  
I’d have to have a good reason not to buy the used Kubota.

/ Yet another subcompact thread.. Small backhoe, BX vs Rural King #9  
Guess I expected a little more class and etiquette from Messick's. Showing a little tarnish on that sterling reputation. Dealer bashing by a dealer, Hypocrisy on display...?..

/ Yet another subcompact thread.. Small backhoe, BX vs Rural King #10  
Guess I expected a little more class and etiquette from Messick's. Showing a little tarnish on that sterling reputation. Dealer bashing by a dealer, Hypocrisy on display...?..

Totally agree with you Majorwager.