YM 2000D manual question

/ YM 2000D manual question #1  

BurningBushFarm

Silver Member
Tractor
YM2000D
We have a YM 2000D bought about 6 years ago from a guy who bought it from a refurb guy in NC (Corrigan Bros??) He included a Yanmar manual covering several models including the YM240 which is supposed to be very similar to our gray market tractor. How accurate are they?

I have attached a picture of one of the pages. I found this picture a bit confusing,Can anyone see any thing wrong with the picture?

manual_pix.jpg

Thanks.

/ YM 2000D manual question #2  
That's the manual for the version of YM2000 as adapted for the US market and renamed YM240. Import sellers distribute the YM240 manual because it's the closest English-language manual for YM2000.
See the YM240 brochure that rScotty posted today: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanmar/397305-240d-yanmar-rims-tires.html#post5112131

YM240 has some minor differences to be more similar to US tractors: the throttle lever is push to accelerate, your YM2000 is pull to accelerate.

PTO speed 540 is universal across nearly all tractors but YM240 also has 1000 rpm. Your YM2000 has a 3-speed pto - 540, then something like 800 and 1100. Somebody will come along with the right numbers.

YM240 has an over-run 'clutch' (ratchet) built inside the pto. Slow down the tractor or push in the clutch and the inertia of a spinning mower isn't transfered into propelling the tractor forward. Same as the clicking racket on a bicycle when you stop pedalling. YM2000 lacks this feature, push in the clutch and you will still be shoved into the wall of the barn. :)

YM240 was painted green. It never got the upgrade to red that YM2000 got when it went to version 2 sheet metal.

That manual will serve you well, the minor differences are obvious.

/ YM 2000D manual question
Thanks California. Helpful.

But here's a "minor" difference that would be obvious to an experienced tractor dude which was lost on me. The bush hog came along with the tractor and I am pretty certain the previous owner in his instructions told me how to use it. Correctly. Engage the PTO and off I go. I have a bunch of hours happily bush hogging (and in some cases "yee-hawing!" while I wipe out the floribunda and blackberries and saplings which are trying to consume my pasture).

Otherwise we mostly used the FEL for stuff around the barn.

Bought some new equipment to make our own hay. So of course I diligently read all the manuals. (They must have used google to translate from Chinese and Italian -- now that's a trip.) And checked my tractor manual ... and discovered apparently I have been running the bush hog at the wrong PTO. Uh oh.

Well. No. (I was actually doing it right.) What I belatedly and sadly discovered on my re-reading is that not only is the throttle direction opposite (which I never "noticed" since that in inherently obviousl) is the PTO speed lever was "flipped." (?)

The manual diagram for the YM240 has 540 RPM "back" (up) and 1000 RPM "forward" (down). (Side bar: I never knew there was an 800 or why, but that explains the extra little step I have to do sometimes to get it to disengage when I think I am putting the PTO into neutral. Learn something new everyday.)

Because I was working alone at the time (helpful husband somehow is always out of town when I got to this point) I did not notice right away that "up" was indeed NOT 540 and in a bit of an **** mode I was following what the manual said instead of my previous experience. The sound and feel were something new, so I didn't figure it out right away. :duh: I know now, but thought I was wrong in what I recalled from the manual. Nope. It is reversed.

So here's the scoop for new / novice owners of some of the Yanmar gray market tractors ... some of the info is reversed.

(Don't the Japanese drive on the wrong side of the road also? ;) )

/ YM 2000D manual question
He writes from Oz.

:drink: