YM276D Brakes

/ YM276D Brakes
A quick question. I purchased two sets of new shoes/pads. They don't appear as good as the pads taken from the left side. Would you folkd recommend replacing shoes on both sides or just one and keep the extra set for the future?

/ YM276D Brakes #63  
A quick question. I purchased two sets of new shoes/pads. They don't appear as good as the pads taken from the left side. Would you folkd recommend replacing shoes on both sides or just one and keep the extra set for the future?

First thing that comes to mind id how you think you will be using your brakes?

If you are will almost always use the as a steering device, then feel free to only replace the one side if you wish. (You may also do this if you feel you can adjust the brakes to engage from the same pressure applied. However since there is no adjustment to the brake shoe resting place from my understanding, I do not know how you would do this.)

Installing one new shoe and one old shoe in the same drum, just seems full of red flags to me especially as you indicate the old shoe lining appears thicker than the new shoe lining. Also considering that the linings are probably of very different materials, braking force/resistance may perform very differently.
Granted my experience comes from the automotive industry, but from that background, I would never mix shoes on a axle (note that if you buy shoes, now mostly pads you but for an axle!)

/ YM276D Brakes #64  
A quick question. I purchased two sets of new shoes/pads. They don't appear as good as the pads taken from the left side. Would you folks recommend replacing shoes on both sides or just one and keep the extra set for the future?

I'd sure keep one or the other as an extra set for the future. Especially since you now know how easy and straightforward it is to do your brakes

Considering that lathe-turned drum. ....I know from experience on Yanmar brakes that large pits in the drums cause brakes to start grabbing badly, but none of us know know if small pits will do the same thing. There may well be a lower limit in pit size that is OK. After all, grabbing vs slowing smoothly is just a matter of relative friction between the axle to the ground vs the drum face to the shoe - at some point the amount of pad material of the shoe that is trapped in the pit becomes irrelevant - the point where it is just too small an effect. There are always going to be smaller and smaller pits. So the small pits you have now may be just fine. They may be small enough.
That limit is something I've wondered about since I noticed the effect many years ago. I'm glad to hear that you are going to add some more data to that experiment.

And if it doesn't work out, it will be nice to have a spare pair of shoes.

I guess it shouldn't matter all that much if the spare shoes on the shelf are the old left sides or the new unused ones.
Only difference is the old left sides now have their arc worn to match the drum diameter that they are with...that's why if they work I'd leave them there. They also give you a point of reference to see how the right side is breaking in. At some point both sides should be the same.
rScotty

/ YM276D Brakes
Does anyone know the size of the O-Ring, Yanmar part 24341-000200, that fits on the left and right brake levers? I am in the process of changing the brakes on the second YM276D and have all the o-rings sorted by size in the drawers. It looks thin, like 1.5 mm perhaps.

/ YM276D Brakes #66  
19.5mm x 22.5mm x 1.5mm or .7677" x .8858" x .059"
id od thickness

/ YM276D Brakes
Thanks. I forgot to include the o'rings when placing an order with Hoye and don't want to pay UPS to send two o-rings.

/ YM276D Brakes #68  
19.5mm x 22.5mm x 1.5mm or .7677" x .8858" x .059"
id od thickness

I wonder how many O ring specs exist worldwide? And how many are in general use?

Comparing O ring specs with thread specs, there are a large but limited number of thread specs.

But the size of the Asian O rings spec sheets just astounds me. Even leaving the physical side alone, there are many more options in the O ring material itself in Asian O rings and each material can be gotten in a multitude of characteristics. No wonder Yanmars don't leak. When I look at the choices that that Asian manufacturers have to choose from for their O rings it makes our ASTM/SAE O rings look like a poor subset.

I used to think that being elastic, that there would be some latitude in fitment, but in reality there seems to be very little room for error. Just how little always surprises me.

Up against so many choices it is no wonder we have trouble finding crossovers from our limited ASTM/SAE selection.

rScotty