You know it is cold on the farm when...

/ You know it is cold on the farm when... #41  
Hard on those underneath too, we get the same thing but on extremely hot days, almighty crack and off comes a big limb from up high, the koalas do not enjoy the ride down either.

Koalas are nothing but a bunch of punks.

/ You know it is cold on the farm when... #42  
They are vicious little sods except for the 'cuddly' ones you see on TV that have been brought up in captivity.

/ You know it is cold on the farm when... #44  
Pure ethylene glycol freezes at about 8 degrees F. With the other additives that are in "antifreeze" it will freeze somewhere from about 0 F to -10F. Mixed properly with water the freezing point will go down to almost -49F I totally believe cans of antifreeze being frozen solid. NO BS.

I was a Chemist in my first life; and as I recall, mixing ethylene glycol with water, say 50/50 lowers the freezing point of both quite a bit. I never thought to check out his story, but I never doubted it. As a practical matter, I hate Winter and cold weather so I think more in terms of the Caribbean than I do of Alaska.

/ You know it is cold on the farm when... #45  
...when you go to blow your nose and break off an icicle.

/ You know it is cold on the farm when... #46  
I was a Chemist in my first life; and as I recall, mixing ethylene glycol with water, say 50/50 lowers the freezing point of both quite a bit. I never thought to check out his story, but I never doubted it. As a practical matter, I hate Winter and cold weather so I think more in terms of the Caribbean than I do of Alaska.

Anti-freeze doesn't freeze in the Caribbean. It's used in drinks.

blue-hawaiian-drink-616871.gif

/ You know it is cold on the farm when... #47  
When it gets really cold you can hear the nails popping out of the roof trusses.

Steel contracts at a greater rate than wood as it gets cold.
I have observed this phenomena in every newly built house that I know up here in cold Canada.
Generally occurs when the cold hits -30 or so,

/ You know it is cold on the farm when... #48  
When you forget your handkerchief and this happens:

Winter.runny.nose_copy.jpg

/ You know it is cold on the farm when... #49  
When you leave "wool footprints" out on the front porch. And RUIN a good pair of wool socks.

/ You know it is cold on the farm when... #50  
Winter in Amarillo Tx. 2009

winter in Amarillo.jpg

My wife says we need to get indoor plumbing.