You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,521  
Not ancient history on a human scale, but how many of us were blown away with the speed you could get logging onto a dial-up BBS at 1200bps?
I remember being the first person I knew to upgrade to 14.4kpbs ca.1993. Others still running on 2400 - 9600 baud modems thought I was going to break the internet. :D

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,522  
Remember the early days of "Plug and Pray"? Some of the early win95 compatibility issues were so bad, people were swearing it'd never work. Hey... kinda reminds me of the EV debate, today!

So many of us just wanted to go back to setting IRQ's and DMA's by pin jumpers, since at least you could always make it work, even if crude and clumsy. Of course, they got most of the plug & play kinks worked out after the first year, or so.

I remember when dad bought the first Apple computer for our family in the mid-80's, and he splurged for the "big" 640k memory card, so he could do spreadsheet work at home. The 13-year old me felt so high-tech plugging all the IC's into the empty sockets. :D

1715658762483.png

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,523  
You know you're old when, you remember how proud you were that your radio had "six" transistors.
Or you are old when you remember looking into the vents on the back of the radio to see the vacuum tubes glowing.

Oh, wait we still have one of those. Someday I will set up chairs around it and turn it on when friends come over for the big game. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,524  
Before McDs came to town my parents would treat us to another chain with a clown for a mascot. Howdie Doodie?
It was something like that. This would have been 1968- early '70s.

Any suggestions?
Maybe you're thinking of Howdy Beef Burger? When I first moved to the "big city" (Manchester, N.H.) after high school there were 2 burger chains...McD's and Howdy's. Of the 2 I preferred Howdy's at the time. Don't recall them being around much after '72-73. They introduced deep fried apple pies before McD's did, they called it Apple Snackle or something like that.

I usually go to Hardee's these days.
Why?
The lines are much shorter.
Haven't been to one since the 70s/early 80s, didn't even know they were still around. I don't remember the food there being very good...both the burgers and fries were kind of soggy.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,525  
Or you are old when you remember looking into the vents on the back of the radio to see the vacuum tubes glowing.

Oh, wait we still have one of those. Someday I will set up chairs around it and turn it on when friends come over for the big game. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I still have a tube radio out in the shed somewhere, worked last time I tried it. It's only AM, so there's nothing really worth listening to with it.
So many of us just wanted to go back to setting IRQ's and DMA's by pin jumpers, since at least you could always make it work, even if crude and clumsy. Of course, they got most of the plug & play kinks worked out after the first year, or so.

I remember when dad bought the first Apple computer for our family in the mid-80's, and he splurged for the "big" 640k memory card, so he could do spreadsheet work at home. The 13-year old me felt so high-tech plugging all the IC's into the empty sockets. :D
And it wasn't long before 'most anything you'd need (video, modem, sound, networking) was built in to the motherboard, so you didn't need to worry about any of that stuff. These days unless you want a pro soundcard or are a gamer who needs/wants a super deluxe video card really no need for any peripheral cards anymore.

When I bought my first PC (around '93 or so) I got the 640k option, even though it was just running DOS. I think it had a 25 mHz 386 processor in it!! Wow! Blazingly fast!! And a 20M hard drive too!! More space than I'll ever need! :ROFLMAO:

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,526  

Those old tube radios, or at least the ones we had, sounded great with deep, rich tones and a depth hard to describe. I think my love of the component stereos of the 1970's and their 5 ft speakers was just trying to recall the sound of those old tube radios. Oh wait, I'm dating myself...

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,527  
Those old tube radios, or at least the ones we had, sounded great with deep, rich tones and a depth hard to describe. I think my love of the component stereos of the 1970's and their 5 ft speakers was just trying to recall the sound of those old tube radios. Oh wait, I'm dating myself...
How about going to RadioShack with a bag of tunes to test when the radio quit working?

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,529  
Maybe you're thinking of Howdy Beef Burger? When I first moved to the "big city" (Manchester, N.H.) after high school there were 2 burger chains...McD's and Howdy's. Of the 2 I preferred Howdy's at the time. Don't recall them being around much after '72-73. They introduced deep fried apple pies before McD's did, they called it Apple Snackle or something like that.

Haven't been to one since the 70s/early 80s, didn't even know they were still around. I don't remember the food there being very good...both the burgers and fries were kind of soggy.
All of the burger chain burgers are about the same to me. The chain that used to advertise fish that goes crunch here was Long John Silvers. After getting an order of soggy, greasy fish on two occasions, I quit going there and they soon left town. Good riddance!