Your favorite lawn and garden tractors Past and Present

/ Your favorite lawn and garden tractors Past and Present #21  
MT372HERE said:
okay...you got me. How do you hold the outside wheels on?

I put up a thread with pics of the process when I did it on LMC, you can read it here <--

Actually, you might like the rest of the site too, more garden tractor orinetated.
Link

Last edited:
   / Your favorite lawn and garden tractors Past and Present #22  
Farmwithjunk said:
It was a Magnum series I. The crank was trashed. It would have needed a crank kit in addition to all the other parts. The clutch ended up with a burnt out coil. It had to be replaced. Parts alone listed out just shy of $800, and then the machine work required.

I still have the old manual on the 682. It states 3 pints as crankcase capacity. (17HP Magnum series 1)

Add to all of that, I didn't have the time to do the work myself. (My father died 2 days after the mower returned in pieces) I would have needed to get it done by the local Cadet dealer. $$$$.$$X10!

OHHHH, It was a KT17 S1...

No wonder, those Engines were mostly recalled for being faulty.

The oiling system operated @ only 3psi, add to that the low oil capacity, many died within a matter of weeks.

Remember the JD 317? The tractor that just about killed the JD Garden tractor line, the KT17 was the culprit.

The rods would run dry if operated on any sort of incline. Most of them slung rods, sounds like yours wasnt far off.

The Series 2 replacement was solid.

/ Your favorite lawn and garden tractors Past and Present #23  
MT372HERE said:
OHHHH, It was a KT17 S1...

No wonder, those Engines were mostly recalled for being faulty.

The oiling system operated @ only 3psi, add to that the low oil capacity, many died within a matter of weeks.

Remember the JD 317? The tractor that just about killed the JD Garden tractor line, the KT17 was the culprit.

The rods would run dry if operated on any sort of incline. Most of them slung rods, sounds like yours wasnt far off.

The Series 2 replacement was solid.

That's the baby! We got 10 full seasons out of it. The rest of the mower was an 11 on a 10 scale. The motor was a .000001 on that same scale.

/ Your favorite lawn and garden tractors Past and Present #24  
Farmwithjunk said:
That's the baby! We got 10 full seasons out of it. The rest of the mower was an 11 on a 10 scale. The motor was a .000001 on that same scale.

Kind of reminds me of the 1999 Troy Bilt Horse Riding mower.

They put a 42" Deck, with Electric PTO, 17hp Briggs Intek, full pressure lube, with filter. Great engine, runs for 1500 hours or more with proper care...
Then they put it on a tractor with a crappy trans and drive that wont last 2 years.

So many great 17hp Briggs engines were junked becasue the transmissions died..

Thats why I like the Older JD's and most all WH's, Great engines, Great tractors.

/ Your favorite lawn and garden tractors Past and Present #28  
MT372HERE said:
Aren't Bolens made by MTD now?

Are BOLENS even made at all any more????

/ Your favorite lawn and garden tractors Past and Present #29  
bermuda_ken said:
Are BOLENS even made at all any more????
Well, you can get a MTD with a Bolens or Huskie label pasted on it.
I've seen them at Lowes and Tractor Supply.
Lowes and Tractor Supply are also good sources for MTDs with Troy Built and Cub Cadet labels on them.

/ Your favorite lawn and garden tractors Past and Present #30  
My favorite is the Allis Chalmers 620/720 series. The original SCUT built back in the early '70s. 20 HP, hydrostatic drive w/3 speed gear box, hydraulic lift system, Cat 0 3pt hitch, electric PTO clutch and built like a tank. I have a 1974 AC 620 in excellent condition with the following attachments; 60" MMM, 50" 3pt tiller, 50" sickle mower, 60" front sweeper, 50" front snowblower, 60" rear blade and many pull-type attachments.

See attached picture.

OrangeGuy

Attachments

• P6170017.JPG
    P6170017.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 308