Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it?

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #11  

Rustyiron

Tractor
M 9540 Kubota
I don't know how they splice fiber, but I have seen a trailer that's set up for it. There's a special setup that brings the fiber cable inside the trailer, I assume that it's a controlled environment to some extent and it a slow tedious process.
I'd like to know if someone reads this that knows.

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #12  

Thomas

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota B2650HSD w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046 & Craftman T2200 lawn mower.
Going to be some over time. :oops:

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it?
OP
California

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240, and now just one YM186D
Or maybe the look on the drillers face means 'I need a new career immediately, coding or installing solar or something. Cause I'm going to be a legend everywhere, now.' :)

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #15  

drssg

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700, BX2350
One of my peeves is when a company outsources part of their business function and then feels that this somehow reduces their responsibility for poor service. Who cares who signs the paycheck of whoever screwed up?

The company is responsible for their product, regardless of how they chose to produce it. Repeatedly stating that a third-party made the error sounds like a lame cop-out to me.

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #16  

Jchonline

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, X1100C, M62(S)
Ooof. That hurts on so many levels!

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #17  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
   / Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #18  

Wagtail

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4105 / JD Z355E (48" deck)
I guess there is something to that "call before you dig" thing ;)
Wellll... yes & no. It all depends on if the cables have actually been recorded properly.

When I was going to dig/clear the area for the pad of my 5-bay shed I did the "Dial before you dig" thing, mostly for my telephone/internet cable. The website map showed a wildly inaccurate cable plan from the end of my driveway going to 4 properties (one of which ran under my house to a neighbour).

I called 'them' and they said that they'd send someone to survey BUT if the map was accurate, I'd have to foot the cost. Of course, the lines went up beside my driveway, then cut over to my house. NO WHERE near was was on the map.

Hopefully the map has been updated for the future.

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #19  

Wagtail

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4105 / JD Z355E (48" deck)
I don't know how they splice fiber, but I have seen a trailer that's set up for it. There's a special setup that brings the fiber cable inside the trailer, I assume that it's a controlled environment to some extent and it a slow tedious process.
I'd like to know if someone reads this that knows
Yes. Not only does it need to be a 'clean' environment but the cutting of the fibre needs to be pefectly flat and perpendicular. A flaw will corrupt the data 'light' flow at the 'splice'.

Mind you, it's been over 20 years since I took a course on how to splice fibre optic cable. Technology/method has probably advanced.

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #20  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Case-IH MX-270, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Kubota M126XTDC, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4
Worst I ever did was pull down a cable TV line with my backhoe dipper stick.
Seen a few inexperienced mini-ex operator dig fiber optic lines, but just a little smaller than that disaster.