Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it?

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #11  
I don't know how they splice fiber, but I have seen a trailer that's set up for it. There's a special setup that brings the fiber cable inside the trailer, I assume that it's a controlled environment to some extent and it a slow tedious process.
I'd like to know if someone reads this that knows.

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #12  
Going to be some over time. :oops:

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it?
Or maybe the look on the drillers face means 'I need a new career immediately, coding or installing solar or something. Cause I'm going to be a legend everywhere, now.' :)

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #15  
One of my peeves is when a company outsources part of their business function and then feels that this somehow reduces their responsibility for poor service. Who cares who signs the paycheck of whoever screwed up?

The company is responsible for their product, regardless of how they chose to produce it. Repeatedly stating that a third-party made the error sounds like a lame cop-out to me.

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #16  
Ooof. That hurts on so many levels!

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #17  
   / Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #18  
I guess there is something to that "call before you dig" thing ;)
Wellll... yes & no. It all depends on if the cables have actually been recorded properly.

When I was going to dig/clear the area for the pad of my 5-bay shed I did the "Dial before you dig" thing, mostly for my telephone/internet cable. The website map showed a wildly inaccurate cable plan from the end of my driveway going to 4 properties (one of which ran under my house to a neighbour).

I called 'them' and they said that they'd send someone to survey BUT if the map was accurate, I'd have to foot the cost. Of course, the lines went up beside my driveway, then cut over to my house. NO WHERE near was was on the map.

Hopefully the map has been updated for the future.

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #19  
I don't know how they splice fiber, but I have seen a trailer that's set up for it. There's a special setup that brings the fiber cable inside the trailer, I assume that it's a controlled environment to some extent and it a slow tedious process.
I'd like to know if someone reads this that knows
Yes. Not only does it need to be a 'clean' environment but the cutting of the fibre needs to be pefectly flat and perpendicular. A flaw will corrupt the data 'light' flow at the 'splice'.

Mind you, it's been over 20 years since I took a course on how to splice fibre optic cable. Technology/method has probably advanced.

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #20  
Worst I ever did was pull down a cable TV line with my backhoe dipper stick.
Seen a few inexperienced mini-ex operator dig fiber optic lines, but just a little smaller than that disaster.