Your Land is my Land

/ Your Land is my Land #401  
Just be glad you are not in earthquake country. The Landers earthquake not too far from me resulted in a lateral offset along portions of the fault in the magnitude of 18 feet. Now where is my property corner? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ Your Land is my Land #402  
It's true, but sometimes how the other neighbors are has little to do with how nice you are. In fact, the nicer you are the worse they may take advantage of you.

The other thing, is that you don't truly know anyone, not neighbor or even sometimes your spouse until some dispute crops up.

Those "nice" people that bake you cookies for clearing their driveway might be the first to cut your throat under the right circumstances.

/ Your Land is my Land #403  
It's true, but sometimes how the other neighbors are has little to do with how nice you are. In fact, the nicer you are the worse they may take advantage of you.

The other thing, is that you don't truly know anyone, not neighbor or even sometimes your spouse until some dispute crops up.

Those "nice" people that bake you cookies for clearing their driveway might be the first to cut your throat under the right circumstances.
That's why you speak softly, and carry a big stick.

/ Your Land is my Land #404  
In the late fall right before Y2K I was bringing in the last of the garden harvest and asked the neighbor if he wanted any of the veggies. He laughingly asked, "Shouldn't you save that for Y2K?" To which I replied, "No, I just have to keep you fat and happy." Then I gave him a dead stare....

/ Your Land is my Land #405  

I hear you and you are probably right more than any of us want to believe. But I go through life giving the benefit of doubt unless burned. Then I may turn the other cheek one time.

/ Your Land is my Land #406  
While the is a lot of merit in being good neighbours and not creating a dispute over boundary positions and fence positions, there can be long-term implications from allowing neighbours to use one's land. One can lose the land forever.

The concepts involved are Easement and Adverse Possession.

A quick Google search came up with numerous hits. Here are two that give quite nice explanations of how easements and adverse possessions come about, how to avoid them, etc.

Boundary Law - Summary part of which says....
What are some examples of encroachments?

Encroachments are uses of property for structures and improvements and do not necessarily involve paths of travel:
  • Fences that are not on the property line
  • Landscaping that extends onto another property
  • Structures that are placed on top of a property line, extending into the other property

Adverse Possession and Prescriptive Easements

Of course, laws may differ from state to state, so it is worth checking what the law in your state is.

Ken

/ Your Land is my Land #407  
I'll bet not. In my area, I'd say more than half the property corners, rural or urban areas, are missing.

Yep. I致e looked for mine. Can稚 find them. There is one monument from where the state took a sliver (like literally less than 100 sq ft) for a road project. But even the new corners that would have resulted from that are missing.

I need to get a metal detector to see if I can fix them. Around here rebar would have been pounded into the ground and a cap placed. Then often a concrete monument on top of that.

/ Your Land is my Land #408  
This is the right answer.
I'll bet nearly every property owner knows where the corners are.
Nearly every landowner thinks that he knows where his corners are. That's why so many times in this and other threads, the importance of having a survey done gets brought up.

A forester friend who also does a lot of work with a surveyor goes back to the original deeds and survey notes, it's pretty amazing how far corners have moved in the last 120 years. One parcel corner was establish on a hardwood ridge; someplace along the line in migrated down the hill into a swamp.

/ Your Land is my Land #409  
This reminds me of a case discussed before on TBN, where a rich neighbor built a very expensive fence next to an old poor neighbor, then demanded the poor neighbor pay half. This lead to several confrontations. The poor neighbor one day went on the rich neighbors land to confront him about some event, and the rich neighbor shoot and killed the poor neighbor, out of "fear for his life". Was a very sad story. Think it happened in NC.
It happened in the neighboring county here in Virginia, too.

/ Your Land is my Land #410  
It happened in the neighboring county here in Virginia, too.
Maybe that is the case i was thinking of.

A friend's neighbor poured a house foundation right across the property line, because they referenced the wrong pin as their property corner. They had to remove the foundation and move the house over.