Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,201  
Main service panel is about 15' away (out of picture, to the right): electrical on right side of building is not associated with the generator. It's been on my TODO list for a while to put on a larger "hat" (top cover) and to utilize screens for the sides (removable) to better protect (from weather and from critters). I like this generator so much (a lot of faith in it) that I am planning on building a new house around it: new house will need to conform to the generator's capacity; at only 7.5kW it's a bit tricky when one doesn't want to rely on propane for heating (I use wood, but new homes cannot use wood as primary source for heating). If only my house looked this nice! 😆
Nice looking building.

TODOs..... that olde RoundTuIt list.... :cool:, I can relate. Post-up the new GenCabana structure once done.... We like pics here !

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,202  
Dragged out JD Subaru powered generator this morning . Hooked up 2 amp trickle charge for like five hours to it . I was surprised when I first hooked it up because charger stated batt had a 75 percent charge . I didnt try to start it either with E start or recoil yank . Charged it over five hours till charger said batt was fully charged . Put fresh fuel in it , choked , opened fuel on pet cock . Turned key after like two seconds fired rite up . I have it still running out back . Runs great !!! .......................

Attachments

• thumbnail (26).jpg
    thumbnail (26).jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 91
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 83
  • thumbnail (19).jpg
    thumbnail (19).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
  • ac-g8010s-e-large-frame-generator.png
    ac-g8010s-e-large-frame-generator.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 84
#5,203  
Well played bb.

Many small gen batteries are just big enough to do the job, so good call on waiting for the charger to play catch-up.

I like the pull-start design on my bigger gen but Estart is a nice convenience, and a must-have for some folks.

I have the 10A version of that Schumacher. It's fast, but seems to run a bit higher voltage than most of my other chargers - it's maybe just a trait of my particular box, but if I'm leaving a charger on overnite or longer, it's not the one I use....

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,204  
Sunday

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,205  
Dragged out JD Subaru powered generator this morning . Hooked up 2 amp trickle charge for like five hours to it . I was surprised when I first hooked it up because charger stated batt had a 75 percent charge . I didnt try to start it either with E start or recoil yank . Charged it over five hours till charger said batt was fully charged . Put fresh fuel in it , choked , opened fuel on pet cock . Turned key after like two seconds fired rite up . I have it still running out back . Runs great !!! .......................
Always good to test. Are you running it with a load? When I test run mine I plug in the leaf blower and the shop vac to give it a nice load to deal with during testing.

E-start is a must for any "larger" generator I would have. Wife couldn't pull start one... heck with my back I probably would regret it.

I keep mine hooked up to a wall wart all the time. It came with and the instructions say to leave it hooked up all the time. So it is always charged when I need it.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,206  
LOL , (y) no load when I took pic of meter . I swear I had a feeling someone would catch that and ask . Genny works fine I run a good load through it at least once a year to test it . In this case my battery only had like 75 % charge and I charged it and cranked it up and an ran it for a good while ( under no load) .
Always good to test. Are you running it with a load?
Question ? Anybody here ever see a wankel rotary type engine on a generator of any kind or size ??????

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,207  
I have an option on my generac whole house to exercise with house on as a load. This is accomplished with the Genmon monitoring system. But this year we have had so many real outages, no bother Doing it.

#5,209  
I have an option on my generac whole house to exercise with house on as a load. This is accomplished with the Genmon monitoring system. But this year we have had so many real outages, no bother Doing it.
Nice to be able to do live testing like that.

Mother Nature's latest reality show, helping out !

Rgds, D.

#5,210  
Question ? Anybody here ever see a wankel rotary type engine on a generator of any kind or size ??????
Nothing I can point to, but your question stirred up faint memories from long ago. Might have been something I read about prototype testing... given the weight advantage, maybe a small man-pack ?

High specific output, but the problem was always apex-seals/oil consumption, so I suspect that getting high hours in a gen application would be a challenge....

But... they are one sweet engine, when running right :love:.....

Rgds, D.