Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,961  
I like your drawbar, creative fix :)
You should see quite a difference in fuel consumption depending on the generator loading.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,962  
Nice story, and write-up Fi. Thanks ! Made in Port Credit too !

Diesel is spendy today, but, Needs Must - your friend gets his work done faster (y).

If you've never changed out the gear oil, ask your friend to keep an eye on the gearbox oil-level. Any water in the sump may get driven off with an extended run like that, with a corresponding drop in oil level.

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,963  
Question to Fi-q, where are you located? You report temps in metric, but using generator at 60hz.

the only people i know that use metric have 50 hz equipment (canada).

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,964  
Question to Fi-q, where are you located? You report temps in metric, but using generator at 60hz.

the only people i know that use metric have 50 hz equipment (canada).

In Canada, Eastern Quebec, but we use 60hz. As far as I know, the « costumer end » power is standard in North America, 120 / 240v at 60hz. Not sure where you took the 50hz for Canada ?

I think diffrent region have diffrent high volatge for power lines ( I know Hydro Quebec use 735kv).

And Canada made the switch to metric in 1975, but beign USA neighbor, we still use the American Standard a lot.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,965  
I was hooking up motors in cabinet shop over the years. All imported from canada, and all 50 hz.

not sure what part of Canada though.

this is the only instance ive encountered with 50 hz systems though.

Last edited:
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,966  
In Canada, Eastern Quebec, but we use 60hz. As far as I know, the « costumer end » power is standard in North America, 120 / 240v at 60hz. Not sure where you took the 50hz for Canada ?

I think diffrent region have diffrent high volatge for power lines ( I know Hydro Quebec use 735kv).

And Canada made the switch to metric in 1975, but beign USA neighbor, we still use the American Standard a lot.
There were competing electrical systems in North America until standardization in late 1950's. Of interest to Canadians may be that Southern Ontario (Windsor-Niagara-Toronto) was on a 25hz system until the 1950's. A very interesting bit of history I was never aware of until this thread piqued my curiosity.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,967  
I just remember the nightmare getting UL Certification on this Canadian 3 phase equipment to use in a US shop. Was very expensive, and time consuming. Was years ago, and never encountered it again. I just thought canada was all 50 hz. Never bothered to question it.

#5,968  
There were competing electrical systems in North America until standardization in late 1950's. Of interest to Canadians may be that Southern Ontario (Windsor-Niagara-Toronto) was on a 25hz system until the 1950's. A very interesting bit of history I was never aware of until this thread piqued my curiosity.
Interesting time-capsule article.

I remember my Dad's brothers talking about flickering lights on the farm, before conversion.

Rgds, D.

#5,969  
I was hooking up motors in cabinet shop over the years. All imported from canada, and all 50 hz.

not sure what part of Canada though.

this is the only instance ive encountered with 50 hz systems though.
I'm wondering if that equipment was manufactured here, but originally designed for Europe, or other 50hz markets......

Official reporting here is C, oldsters like me talk both C and F amongst ourselves. SI Electronic, I usually default to C.

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,970  
I just remember the nightmare getting UL Certification on this Canadian 3 phase equipment to use in a US shop. Was very expensive, and time consuming. Was years ago, and never encountered it again. I just thought canada was all 50 hz. Never bothered to question it.

No problems. On the other hand, back in the mid 2000’s I worked crazy overtime getting a USA manufactured windmill farm ( installed in Canada) to get it CSA compliant ( the equivalent of UL standard in the USA).

At the start of this project, back then I was installation manager, I raised many flags and send a crazy amount of email to the project managment team stating that the produxt will not be able to go on grid as many things, to my eyes anyway, we not going to fly with the CSA inspetor. Not did I know anything back then about the code, but I just finsihed a project in Eatern Ontario then and we wnt theough the wholse CSA campliance show!

Then the Alberta project was under sone west coast PM.

Anyway, no one ever replied to my emails and questions about the CSA standard , then 1 week before final commissioning. We were seeking permission to go live with approx 50 MW of power, so the locall grid authority send an inspector for the CSA certification, and we miserably failed ! At the moment, I was so pissed cause I spent month warning upper management about this exact moment!

But a few days down the road, I realized that this would give me and my team 3 months of extra work , retrofitting these wind generator to CSA standard, while there was no other job on the go for the compant in Canada, so I ended up enjoying the fact that no one have listen to me, the extra « gravy » months paid , at the time, the used Duramax I got there 6 months earlier !