Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,821  
No reason to not believe what you say about stronger internals. You dont strike me as a liar or exaggerator. I would dispute the strength issue as an engine is an assembly and only as strong as its weakest link. That’s why a Cummins 6.7 is a medium duty engine with a far longer B rating than an ecoboost gas engine. So we are good there.
But to compare both engines, even if they were in the same truck, its lights out. The Cummins would do more work and last longer doing it.

The original premise was, can the ecoboost haul 10k day in and day out. I said yes, the engine has the strength in the block and internals to do it. I see landscape guys doing it all summer. I also noted the fact the ecoboost comes in F150 package which I don't think the light duty suspension can handle that load day in and day out.

Of course the purposes of the engines are different and can do different things. I agree. However that was never the original premise.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,822  
I agree, nothing wrong with a walk around the barn once in awhile, plus it relates to towing. Speaking of which, the little small block 5.9 Cummins equipped with an exhaust brake...the gassers better move over on the down hill....all mine are so equipped.

Now the 2.0 Ecoboost in my Ford Escape, I love it:)
The exhaust brake on my 6.7 Cummins is fantastic, would love to add one of the Jake brakes but not really needed with my single wheel truck.

Thats the one thing I didn't have on my rollback with the 230hp 5.9, had to get the 260hp version to get the exhaust brake.
More then once I was going down a mountain with a heavy load and cooked the brakes(hyd), really wished it had at least an exhaust brake.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,823  
The exhaust brake on my 6.7 Cummins is fantastic, would love to add one of the Jake brakes but not really needed with my single wheel truck.

Thats the one thing I didn't have on my rollback with the 230hp 5.9, had to get the 260hp version to get the exhaust brake.
More then once I was going down a mountain with a heavy load and cooked the brakes(hyd), really wished it had at least an exhaust brake.

On full setting, I barely need service brakes. Then combine it with the Aisin downshift function, it slows the truck down almost too much. I find the truck the best built pulling and stopping truck I have ever owned without air brakes. I have already approached 50,000lb GCWR and it didnt struggle pulling it uphill or stopping it coming down the other side

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,824  
And too get some pictures in. A powerstroke, an ecoboost, a tractor, and the best of all...1988 Toyota truck. They don't make them like that anymore.

20180826_125119.jpg
20180901_085127.jpg

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,825  
I just sold off my last 6.4L powerstoke. Good riddance

Attachments

• 69B15BDF-346D-4AD2-AEB4-09C1D0F491E8.jpeg
    69B15BDF-346D-4AD2-AEB4-09C1D0F491E8.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 121
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #3,826  
You guys might wanna go into PMs for the rest of this back-n-forth. I'm definitely not interested nor does it add value to the OP's subject at hand. Others might not be interested in your banter either. Just a reminder -

"Lets see your towing rigs.(truck,trailer,tractor) the more pics the better.I know I never get tired of the pics you guys post.

Matt T."

I think it's beneficial to debate these things, someone will learn something.

Its beneficial to the forum when people with sound knowledge but different perspectives engage is strong discussion civilly and politely.
I know Im learning by reading their discussion. It doesnt limit anyone elses ability to post or comment, so no problem.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,827  
I'd take a 5.9L Cummins over any gas engine in production today. Even with a low power rating, it can be cheaply and easily unleashed into a great puller. With a B rating far longer than anything gas out today, great fuel economy and longevity well into the 250-500K range.....easy decision. Thats comparing a 30+ year old diesel to the newest turbocharged gas-hog gasser.

I agree. The 5.9 is an amazing truck engine. My numbers posted on the old Ford, 260/700 are to the ground and is considered a mild build. With two transmissions, a loss of 20% off the crank is about right, so 315/860 at the crank@1900 rpm. And for the non believing gasser guys:) here is a dyno sheet and a small load, 29k gcw.

Not bad for a 47 year old truck that spent 20 years in the log woods. 13 years as a gasser and 7 as a diesel hauling heavy. To this day, I would put it against any new 1 ton dually hauling heavy in the log woods. On the big highway, not so much:D

scan0028.jpgNick%252527s%252520Green%252520truck[1].jpg

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,828  
I just sold off my last 6.4L powerstoke. Good riddance

They say you don't want to own that engine out of warranty ! Could never see the Envoronmental advantage of that 6.4 . When it went into regen you couldn't see the truck in the cloud of gray smoke. Meanwhile my 5.9 with the stainless 4" from the turbo back was perfectly clean unless you abused your right foot !

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,829  
They say you don't want to own that engine out of warranty ! Could never see the Envoronmental advantage of that 6.4 . When it went into regen you couldn't see the truck in the cloud of gray smoke. Meanwhile my 5.9 with the stainless 4" from the turbo back was perfectly clean unless you abused your right foot !

And what they said was true. It would do a deep regen and blow out gray smoke every few weeks. I put up with that nonsense for 7 years. When properly running, they pull real hard and run exactly like a big block gasser when driving empty. Crazy fast stock. However, they suffered rocker arm problems, dpf problems and other problems. Typical of the V8 mentality, it revved too much. I was willing to deal with it to get the Ford rolling chassis and towing advantages.
RAM and GM passed Ford in many ways in the HD pickup market. GM made the IFS front end much stronger and RAM.....well, lets just say you need to own one to really explain the Cummins pulling experience.:D Its a calm, steady, low RPM diesel. More like a real, big truck feel. No more screaming at 4000 RPM. It pulls 18 tons no problem.

Attachments

• A9573B68-10BF-4A7E-B9D1-E15B3784D005.jpeg
    A9573B68-10BF-4A7E-B9D1-E15B3784D005.jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 93
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #3,830  
I agree. The 5.9 is an amazing truck engine. My numbers posted on the old Ford, 260/700 are to the ground and is considered a mild build. With two transmissions, a loss of 20% off the crank is about right, so 315/860 at the crank@1900 rpm. And for the non believing gasser guys:) here is a dyno sheet and a small load, 29k gcw.

Not bad for a 47 year old truck that spent 20 years in the log woods. 13 years as a gasser and 7 as a diesel hauling heavy. To this day, I would put it against any new 1 ton dually hauling heavy in the log woods. On the big highway, not so much:D

View attachment 687850View attachment 687851

You know it really is. It has powered small and medium trucks longer than any other diesel outside of maybe the DT466 (which was discontinued- it was a great diesel, too) The 6.6L Duramax has posted up a lot of years now, too. Ford changed engines 4 times in 12 years. Off pedal torque with the in line 6 configuration and design simplicity are something that may never be replicated. I am part way in “ the club “ with the 6.7 and understand why these trucks have a cult like following. Nothing pulls like an in line 6. That’s why the 5.9/6.7 are so successful....the engine is basically a miniaturized big rig engine.