Z700 Series

/ Z700 Series #1  

kozak

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35D c/w FEL, ACCO Allis 1614
I am considering buying a Z723 ZTR. I am currently cutting the lawn using a tractor style mower. It has 4 wheel drive assist which is nice & has got me out of many predicaments. Cutting the ditch is also no issue. What has me concerned about these ZTR's are the front tires .... ZERO tread. What is that all about ? Do any of you with a ZTR have any issues cutting 15 to 20 degree slopes ? Does the front end tend to slide down due to NO tread on the tires ?

Any comments from a reliability stand point regarding the Z700 series ?

Thanks for any input.

/ Z700 Series #2  
They are just large diameter casters - no thread needed.

Caster.png

/ Z700 Series
They are just large diameter casters - no thread needed.

View attachment 747148
That's funny. That's exactly what they look like and probably perform like. Good on even terrain.

I have seen some video's which show ZTR's having trouble in ditches. I am thinking I keep my old machine to do the ditches & then have the Cadillac for the rest of the property. It would be highly stupid to spend $9 to $11K on a ZTR and trade my old machine in for hundreds of dollars only to find I yukered myself.

/ Z700 Series #4  
Keep the old machine as you say. I have a ZD1211 and 20+ degree slopes. The ZT is unmatched for open and relatively flat trimming and tight flat spaces. It is also fine going up and down 25 degree hills when fine control isn't required, but unless you have space at the bottom of the hill to slide into, can be difficult. If you need fine control on a hill you can have it to some degree going uphill.

According to folks on here this can be improved with deep tread tires. Regrettably, only turfs are available for my machine due to nonstandard rims. New tires would probably cost you more than your existing mower is worth. I would certainly keep it until you have tried the ZT.

My opinion.

/ Z700 Series #5  
I am considering buying a Z723 ZTR. I am currently cutting the lawn using a tractor style mower. It has 4 wheel drive assist which is nice & has got me out of many predicaments. Cutting the ditch is also no issue. What has me concerned about these ZTR's are the front tires .... ZERO tread. What is that all about ? Do any of you with a ZTR have any issues cutting 15 to 20 degree slopes ? Does the front end tend to slide down due to NO tread on the tires ?

Any comments from a reliability stand point regarding the Z700 series ?

Thanks for any input.
I owned a 2017 Z726X 60" for two seasons. Suspension seat. I do not have steep hills so can't comment on those personally.

I've never been a fan of zero turns mainly because of the rough ride, so I sold it and went back to mowing with my BX and recently added a GR2120 to the fleet for smaller areas near the house.

I was very impressed with the cut quality, speed, responsiveness, etc. Zero complaints. I couldn't believe how smooth the yard looked and how fast I could go.

Hopefully you have operated a few other zero turns so you are okay with getting one.

I highly recommend using one first on your own property if at all possible.

As far as ride quality, the larger Kubotas have a pivoting front axle that helps a lot, but I have never personally used one.

/ Z700 Series #6  
I forgot to mention, I've demoed a Grasshopper mower before, it rode much smoother than a normal zero turn, the mowing deck lifting up is a huge plus as well.

One thing I forgot to mention about my Z726X.... the mowing deck would have to be cleaned out very frequently, the grass would really build up for some reason, this has never been an issue with my BX. I suppose it's the higher blade tip speed was pulverizing the grass where it is cut.

/ Z700 Series
Thanks for the responses guys. Two additional things have me worried now. Cleaning out underneath the mower which I have never needed to do with my riding tractor mower. That would be a real Pain. Also the rough ride. I did try my neighbours ZT but that was years ago. Hmmmmm ......

/ Z700 Series #8  
Thanks for the responses guys. Two additional things have me worried now. Cleaning out underneath the mower which I have never needed to do with my riding tractor mower. That would be a real Pain. Also the rough ride. I did try my neighbours ZT but that was years ago. Hmmmmm ......
I have a Z724. I got the front jack option so cleaning the deck with a plastic putty knife is a breeze.

My Z rides Ok...If you hit a good hole you know it.

It does better than I expected on hills. My sandmound is 35 deg+ and I can cross it. There is a pucker factor but it never felt like I was going to lose it. Don't try that on wet grass obviously. Really dry grass can get slippy too.

/ Z700 Series #9  
I forgot to mention, I've demoed a Grasshopper mower before, it rode much smoother than a normal zero turn, the mowing deck lifting up is a huge plus as well.

One thing I forgot to mention about my Z726X.... the mowing deck would have to be cleaned out very frequently, the grass would really build up for some reason, this has never been an issue with my BX. I suppose it's the higher blade tip speed was pulverizing the grass where it is cut.

The front deck in Grasshopper is great when for example there is a need to get under fruit trees etc.

Ours is a year 1993 ex. commercial mower, with 61 inch mulching deck bought used about 19 year ago.

The deck can be manually tilted up for service, but it's very heavy so hoist is needed for tilting it up for sure - my solution is simple:
I just drive the deck up on HD car ramps, which were made out of 3"x10" 7 foot long planks.

The newer Grasshopper models have deck lift available.

1993 Grasshopper 721D.JPG

/ Z700 Series
Yes, the front jack option I think will be a must. Even if it is easier to take the mower off, these things weigh a ton. Kubota's are 8 gauge & JD are 9 or 10 gauge.

The ramp idea is also a consideration. Not sure if the jack option raises the front end high enough. Either way, will have to lie on my back to either remove the blades or clean the bottom of hardened grass clippings.

timswi ..... when you say you cross your sand berm do you mean up & down or actually across sideways ??

Thanks