ZD 1211 , 60 vs 72" and side vs rear discharge ?

/ ZD 1211 , 60 vs 72" and side vs rear discharge ? #1  

Rmart30

Platinum Member
Tractor
Currently Kubota L4600HST, two Massey 265's, Massey 230, Kubota M8540...... Had Long 510, Mahindra 3510.Ford 4000, Deere 4230.
Almost pulled the trigger on a used ZD but after looking at so many that never could work up a comfortable deal on Ive decided to start looking at new machines.

I will start by telling what I have to do with it. Eventually I will have 4-6 acres of lawn to cut after all my clearing is done. The property I bought had been neglected for quite a while and 2-3 acres was a big briar and weed patch. Eventually this 2 acres will have 40+ fruit or nut trees on it. Ive put 20 on it as of now.
Up until now i was just bush hogging it. With the trees now Ive planted I need something more maneuverable than the tractor and bush hog.

My 2 questions are on the deck and I will say upfront im not looking for a manicured lawn.
This property was once a tomato farm and is gently sloping and has some rolling contour to it along with some rolling terraces. Only about a acre of it will be level and flat. With those conditions would you go with a 60" to try and limit the scalping? Or get the 72 and just deal with it?
Also, preference of rear vs side discharge?

/ ZD 1211 , 60 vs 72" and side vs rear discharge ? #2  
I guess this is a 2 part answer. First off I had a zd326 60 inch side discharge mower. Traded that for a f2690 side discharge 72 inch mower.

Now to my opinions

60 or 72 inch mower. - really depends on how high you are going to let the grass grow and hp on machine.
My zd326 60 inch mower would just about mow anything I ran over within reason. The f2690 with 72 inch mower you have to pay a little more attention to the height of the grass. This is also due to mulching kit installed. Both of my mowers were 26hp diesels.

Side or rear discharge - you will definitely get more discharge on you with side discharge. That is why I put a mulching kit on the f2690. You don’t see many complaints about rear discharge except more debris under the mower or maybe a windrow if the grass is wet. But someone with a rear discharge can tell you more than me since I’ve never owned one.

I really like my mulching kit on the f2690, so if I had to do it again probably would go with a 60 inch side discharge with mulching kit on a f2690.

Good luck on any decision you make.

/ ZD 1211 , 60 vs 72" and side vs rear discharge ? #3  
A 72” deck will put 6” more deck under the tree canopy than a 60” deck. You can maneuver closer to objects while keeping your shoulders and head further from them. Can’t speak at all about rear discharge decks as I have no experience with them or any customers that own them on a ZD. I would not have concerns about sufficient power with a ZD1211 and 72” side discharge deck without a mulching kit. Adding the mulch kit and putting it in high grass will take HP.

/ ZD 1211 , 60 vs 72" and side vs rear discharge ? #4  
ZD 1211 , 60 vs 72" and side vs rear discharge ?

I’ve got a 72” ZTR and for mowing other people’s yards like I do a 60” would be better. I like my 72 though. It’ll lay down a lot of grass in a hurry. I’ve got a 28 hp diesel on it and it has plenty of power. I’ve never had a RD deck but I’ve heard they are more prone to wind rowing grass and stop up the radiator worse.

/ ZD 1211 , 60 vs 72" and side vs rear discharge ? #5  
Went with ZD326 60" to F3680 72" side discharge.

Don't have HP issues with 72"...but I have 36 HP to....both mowers not short of HP with the decks installed.

The ZD deck is suspended....the F series is ground contact. Good surprise, the ground contact mower gave a better cut, and the suspended deck had tendency to scalp more than the bigger ground contact deck.

Side discharge of both will put clippings all over you if the wind is wrong. On the F series, I put on a chute blocker with a linear actuator, it solved that problem, but it will windrow with the blocker in place. Also kept clipping out of rock landscaping.

/ ZD 1211 , 60 vs 72" and side vs rear discharge ? #6  
If not space/terrain or power challenged, go with the biggest deck.

SDC advantages: Better clipping dispersement in heavy grass, can "double windrow" for leaf chopping
SDC disadvantages: Close trimming on one side only, bigger debris cloud for operator, wider with shute

RDC advantages: Close trimming on both sides, less debris for operator
RDC disadvantages: Can't double windrow, more debris under rear of mower

Only you can decide what's most important for your needs/wants, as both styles have pluses & minuses.

Personally, for a ZTR, I prefer SDC, and for a tractor mounted RFM, I prefer RDC.

/ ZD 1211 , 60 vs 72" and side vs rear discharge ? #7  
Owned many side discharges over my life time. Now just buy rear discharge or side discharge with mulching kit. I've owned a couple of Kubota ZDs and Zero turns and 3 Fs. I bought a rear discharge (demanded it) in the ZD326.
If one cuts their lawn with a rear discharge they will never go back. If one cuts a high grassed some what wet yard with either they will see the tracks of spread out grass (RD0 where they mowed)and if a side discharge will see the most awful rows on mounds of grass.
I hate side discharge and love rear discharge. I love cutting both sides, I love no grass/dust blowing all over me and I have a leaf blower to blow the grass off the radiator screen and under the mower/machine/battery top.
The grass track/trail of the RD is visible for a day or two if one waits till the grass is about 5" to 6" high or more and then it becomes pure invisible free yard fertilizer spread out evenly over the yard and no one can say that about a side discharge without a mulching kit. I currently have a BX2370 with side discharge and mulching kit and that combination may now be my favorite option. I do most mowing of grown up fields, yard and mountain trail (Old logging road) with my F3080 72" rear discharge which my 14 year old grandson also picks and some other paid mowers on my rental property that tried/used the ZD326 and small Z and the F.
The F is the fastest most controllable on open or mostly open ground and for sure any hills or ditches. The ZD is faster and more controllable around close setting rental units. F is faster and more controllable around trees unless the mower with roll bar can get under the limbs and against the tree. The F can reach under the canopy of tree limbs.
I've owned a 26HP and 30HP Kubota Fs and would never pay more money for any more HP with a 72" cut mowing deck. Never ran out of power with the 26HP 72" deck unless I got into super septic line monster thick super green grass that was a foot high and then had to slow down a bit, small bit and probably would have had to with even more HP.
72" deck side discharge with mulching kit first choice and 72" rear discharge deck second choice and plain side discharge deck I would just pay some one to mow my acres.:D:cool2:

/ ZD 1211 , 60 vs 72" and side vs rear discharge ? #8  
Almost pulled the trigger on a used ZD but after looking at so many that never could work up a comfortable deal on Ive decided to start looking at new machines.

I will start by telling what I have to do with it. Eventually I will have 4-6 acres of lawn to cut after all my clearing is done. The property I bought had been neglected for quite a while and 2-3 acres was a big briar and weed patch. Eventually this 2 acres will have 40+ fruit or nut trees on it. Ive put 20 on it as of now.
Up until now i was just bush hogging it. With the trees now Ive planted I need something more maneuverable than the tractor and bush hog.

My 2 questions are on the deck and I will say upfront im not looking for a manicured lawn.
This property was once a tomato farm and is gently sloping and has some rolling contour to it along with some rolling terraces. Only about a acre of it will be level and flat. With those conditions would you go with a 60" to try and limit the scalping? Or get the 72 and just deal with it?
Also, preference of rear vs side discharge?

I went with the ZD326-60" because I have a lot of trees and tight spots to contend with. I originally wanted the rear discharge but after a demo I didn't like the grass clumps it left everywhere behind the machine. In my opinion the side discharge leaves a nicer finish and spreads the swarf out nicely. I also like that the side discharge lets me clear leaves in fall time and push them to the fence lines. The other thing I didn't like about the rear discharge deck was the design. The side discharge model had smooth round front corners. The rear discharge had angular front corners with hooks on them. Guaranteed to hook on to things unexpectedly vs bump and slide past eg. watch out for small trees.

These machines go very quick and I find my ZTR 60 will out cut what the tractor did with 72 inch mower. The ZTR only takes about 1/4 to 1/3 the time of the tractor with bigger mower.

If your ground is rough pay for the air ride seat suspension up front - your back and neck will thank you. Also consider bar tires if you have slopes.

I doubt you need to worry about scalping. I'd suggest getting a demo of each machine and see what you like best on your property.

If I had lots of open spaces and simply wanted to get the job done in the shortest amount of time I'd go for a 31 HP machine with rear discharge and 72" deck. My 26HP handles the 60" deck no problems. Keep your deck clean and blades sharp.

/ ZD 1211 , 60 vs 72" and side vs rear discharge ? #9  
I have a ZD326 60” and a ZD331 72” both side discharge. Cutting a variety of lawns, slopes, ditches, etc... the 72” deck can gouge turf, particularly around culverts and getting into and out of ditches. With common sense and planning it’s not an issue.
The 72” deck is also offset to the left on my machine, which makes mowing close to objects easier.
I use the 60” mower on smaller lawns, and it gets in places the 72” won’t.
Finally, the 72” mower has a slightly higher ground speed, which combined with the larger deck save me a lot of time - in my case on the order of 60 hours last year alone.

/ ZD 1211 , 60 vs 72" and side vs rear discharge ?
I have a ZD326 60” and a ZD331 72” both side discharge. Cutting a variety of lawns, slopes, ditches, etc... the 72” deck can gouge turf, particularly around culverts and getting into and out of ditches. With common sense and planning it’s not an issue.

With my rolling property, ditchline, and the terraces I want to keep thats my concern with the larger deck. That and the fact that at my current home a 72" will not fit into my storage building so that would have me storing it outside for 18-24 months.

i may have gotten a answer to my side or read discharge the other day. most dealers this time of year arent too well stocked so I havent been able to go lay eyes on a rear discharge. Dealer I talked to other day says that the side discharge deck is heavier built than the rear discharge.

Im getting a best price of $13,500 for a ZD1211-60 and about $900 more for the 72".