Loader Zerk -- err is it full?

/ Zerk -- err is it full? #21  
Cool tool.
Thanks

/ Zerk -- err is it full?
UGG-- tonight err was 2 nights ago.. and I had a customer visit that took me 6 hours away from home...

Well... it's a Sat AM task now..

Beezfun--- I just saw that at tractorsupply..
I almost bought it!!!

J

/ Zerk -- err is it full? #23  
yea--- I raised it, dumped it, tilted back and tried 4 or 5 different angles..

No joy..

I am down to the remove and inspect but I am sure someone has another idea..

I will go try it again... I did do 3 hours of heavy loader work today..
when I greased it last week, it had been sitting for 2 weeks...DANG-- I missed that 10 hour grease schedule alot--- (see the thread on that :laughing: )
maybe---- it will work now..

J
Well Mr, Radartech...... guess my question wasn't so dumb after all :laughing: I grease mine every 10 hours just like the manual says and have no problems with my zerks.:thumbsup: By the way I started the every 10 hour thread!

/ Zerk -- err is it full? #24  
Going to resurrect this one as a result of searching...

I have one loader pin that I have not been able to grease in 2 tries now. All others are good. Zerk is clear - pulled and tested. The pin looks dry compared to all the other ones, but since I can't get grease in it, that makes sense. Loader still works (for now...).

I'll try the different positions of the loader first and see if I get lucky there. I am not hopeful given the age (1000 hrs now) and I suspect it was like that for a bit before I got it. I will also try some heat with torch and/or heat gun to free it up, but barring that, is there anything special to removing these pins? Do they only drive out one way? And is there any position to drive them out where the whole loader doesn't collapse when the pin pops free or it binds them enough to stop them from coming out? I have a ball joint press which tends to work wonders on stuff like this, as long as it fits around it. Pin may be too deep in this case, so I might be down to the sledge and a drift...

Thanks for any advice before I tear into it.

Dave

/ Zerk -- err is it full? #25  
My daugher spotted zerks I had never seen the FEL of our 1983 310 JD BH since we purchased it earlier this year and from the looks of things they had not been greased in years.

The zerks are in the end of the pin. When greasing the first one it took a lot of force then a puff of rust colored dust puffed out as I pumped. The left side was a NO GO so every few days I tried with all the force I could put on the gease gun. That went on for a few weeks

One day I had it fully dumped and just parked it with it resting on the cutting edge and I tried the zerk again. Same as before then suddenly it TOOK the grease.

Bottom line I tried max pressure about 10 times over a few weeks. Not sure if the change in position helped or not since it was still blocked. Keeping high pressure on the fitting in triple digit temps did not hurt I am sure.

Right after that I had to move 35 ton of lime stone over a distance of 400 feet one bucket at a time so I was glad all pins were well greased.

So far the 22 gauge bushing shims I made out of flat cold roll stock and put in the pin holes when the pressure of kurling the be bucket is the greatest are holding up even after all of the rock moving. One side took one piece and the right side was worn enough there I could put in three circles of the 22 gauge steel and still get the pin back in without force. It really took out the slop. The pins are worn so they are concave at the wear points so I am sure the soft steel conformed to the old wear pattern.

/ Zerk -- err is it full? #26  
Hi, I have a different problem with this greasing. Have any of you removed this pin and seen where the grease is applied inside. My new toy was fitted with a new loader, which was painted Kubota Orange over Gloss black paint. Now these former owners replaced the four pins at the tractor mount with cold rolled steel. No zerts on them, one of them had been hammered into the loader.I have pulled and replaced it, but very few of the other pins have zerts, thank goodness the ones toward the bucket do. My thoughts at to drill into the end, mount a zert, drill to single point in center of the pin. Any one know where I might be able to buy pins if this is unsatifactory?I have looked at TSC, I bought a long one with handle, but it has no zert either? Perplexed? JY.

/ Zerk -- err is it full? #27  
Dave,
If you can access the zerk SAFELY-have someone operate the controls very slowly, little by little while you apply pressure with the grease gun. Maybe with the movement, grease will have somewhere to go.

I have had several zerks that have taken lots of pressure to get grease to flow. The problem is, there is a reason- and taking it apart, removing pins etc is a good idea to clean out the old hardened stuff and or clean up the parts from rust and dirt.

/ Zerk -- err is it full? #28  
Maybe, you can tell me or post a photo of how the pin looks inside? I don't want to go to the dealer and ask? After he quit laughing, he might ask me to leave for not buying his used Mahindra?JY.

/ Zerk -- err is it full? #29  
You might want to try one of the zerk clearing tools that inject light oil. Northern Tools has them for about $40. Basically it is a grease fitting coupled to a cylinder with a brass plunger. You load the cylinder with light machine oil, put in the plunger, attach the device to the problem zerk and give the plunger a few whacks with a mallet or hammer to drive the light oil into the zerk. I have one and find that it works about 80% of the time. Obviously the key is just that it puts light oil under high pressure which can dislodge old dried up grease or dirt.

/ Zerk -- err is it full? #30  
The zerk is fine (pulled and tested), it's stopped up in the pin somewhere that I can't see from the outside.