Loader Zerk -- err is it full?

/ Zerk -- err is it full? #1  

RadarTech

Elite Member
Tractor
2007 Kubota L3400, YANMAR YT359C
Ok.. I have to admit, when I greased the loaded last weekend it just would not go into the lower right hand pin on the loader...

so after checking the grease gun, removing the zerk, testing that, swapping the fitting with the one above it, and pushing grease thru it I am confounded...

My next step is to remove the pin altogather and see what the issue is...

BUT I wonder has anyone had this problem before?

when the grease is applied, it just comes out right there at the zerk...

UGGG....

does this make sense?

ideas?

thanks,
J

/ Zerk -- err is it full? #2  
Did you try raising/lowering the loader? Sometimes changing the way the pin is loaded will allow grease to flow more easily.

Matt.

/ Zerk -- err is it full?
yea--- I raised it, dumped it, tilted back and tried 4 or 5 different angles..

No joy..

I am down to the remove and inspect but I am sure someone has another idea..

I will go try it again... I did do 3 hours of heavy loader work today..
when I greased it last week, it had been sitting for 2 weeks...DANG-- I missed that 10 hour grease schedule alot--- (see the thread on that :laughing: )
maybe---- it will work now..

J

/ Zerk -- err is it full?
I should add this is on an LA463 (L3400) 275 hours..

J

/ Zerk -- err is it full? #5  
Try taking all of the weight off of the problem pin. Put it in "float" and let it settle on a log or something similar.

Taking out the Zerk and see if grease will pump through it will verify that it is clear or at least not damaged. It wasn't mentioned how it was tested in the original post.

With the Zerk removed have you cleaned out as much of the old grease as possible with a thin screwdriver? That should allow some grease in and may compress the air space enough to force some of the old grease out.

Obviously the pin is free to move in the socket so a frozen pin shouldn't be an issue - especially since you grease often enough.

/ Zerk -- err is it full? #6  
275 hours and this is the first time you've ever had trouble with it? Just for the heck of it, how about raising the front wheels with the loader and try greasing it that way?

/ Zerk -- err is it full? #7  
This is a common problem. It might have sealed off below the zerk which requires you to clean the crud out. It may require pulling the pin. I have also found on some situations the the zerk is long enough that it will bottom against the pin thus preventing any grease getting through.

/ Zerk -- err is it full? #8  
I had one do that on the motor home. Finally with it off I got it to block the grease once so I then knew it was the problem. I swapped one from a more accessible place and finished up the grease job. The next day I bought a pack and replaced the funky one.

That was the first time I saw that in the 50 years I have been using a grease gun.

/ Zerk -- err is it full? #9  
I had one today that took me about 10 minutes to find a position where the pin would let the grease in. Top back pin on the loader arms. Finally got it to take grease by putting the bucket at about a 45 degree down angle and lifting the front wheels slightly. This is, of course, after having to pull and clean the zerk so that grease would even go through it.

I have a tool which looks like a dental pick which works well for cleaning out zerks or the hole to the pin when the zerk is removed.

/ Zerk -- err is it full? #10  
Heat is your friend.

Don't overdo it, but I would try heating the end of the pin and body of the bearing around it, keeping away from the zerk, which had already been cleaned and demonstrated to pass grease.

A few minutes with a propane torch may get the old grease runny enough to be easily displaced by fresh. Then grease it again after it cools down.