zero turn mowers EXPENSIVE

/ zero turn mowers EXPENSIVE #1  

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
Surprise.

since retired, I try to buy nice used cars. Im finding out I have to spend 2 to 3 times what I spend for a car on a lawn mower! This time, I'm buying all new stuff!

If I choose Kubota, it's 4 to 5 times as much!

i'm going to have appx. 5 acres of pretty smooth grass to mow, just planted winter rye and it's popping up everywhere! 3 of those acres have large pines, 15 to 20 ft apart. All my local advisers are telling me zero turn will be the best solution.

I have been shopping and am leaning toward the Huskvarna Z254F. It has a Kohler gas engine. It also has a fabricated vs pressed deck. The experts advice getting a fabricated deck.

The reviews were mostly positive but who really know who's writing those reviews. The reviews are helpful but I'd rather rely on advice from some of you folks.

When ever I think of Kohler I have 3 memories. They make toilets, lots of toilets. I lived in Oshkosh WI during my drinking years. It was a 2 hour drive to Kohler in the summer, 10 minutes across the lake in the winter. The ride back, fueled with lots of beer, was always exciting. Kohler has built one of the premier golf destinations in this country, maybe in the world. My dad and i played there a few times and have lots of fond memories.

Anyone have an opinion on Huskavarna Z254F zero turns?

Thx in Advance

/ zero turn mowers EXPENSIVE #2  
Bought a commercial Toro Zmaster 21 seasons ago. Under $300 in repairs (not counting batteries, belts and blades) Heavy spindles with cast iron housings. Often use it on small sticks, walnuts and tall weeds. Still going strong. Cost $7k at the time but I junked two mowers like the Husky before it only mowing grass on somewhat bumpy ground. They were also breaking frequently.

Spend more and don't look at Husky. Buy 1 good mower or 3 Husky types. I've found it's easy finding an excellent used car at a good price vs an excellent mower cheap.

/ zero turn mowers EXPENSIVE #3  
Spend the money on a good commercial grade mower. I have a zd331 with 1700 hrs and its treated me well. We have a zd28 at our farm its older and been treated fairly rough and its still going strong. Once its paid for you will be glad you have over the cheaper models. Other difference is do you want spend all day mowing or 1hr mowing. How many years will you be keeping your place?

/ zero turn mowers EXPENSIVE #4  
Bought a commercial Toro Zmaster 21 seasons ago. Under $300 in repairs (not counting batteries, belts and blades) Heavy spindles with cast iron housings. Often use it on small sticks, walnuts and tall weeds. Still going strong. Cost $7k at the time but I junked two mowers like the Husky before it only mowing grass on somewhat bumpy ground. They were also breaking frequently.

Spend more and don't look at Husky. Buy 1 good mower or 3 Husky types. I've found it's easy finding an excellent used car at a good price vs an excellent mower cheap.
You have stated the exact reason why I bought a Grasshopper, I'd rather spend more and buy once!

SR

/ zero turn mowers EXPENSIVE #5  
Spend the money on a good commercial grade mower.

I offer the same advise as well. I bit the bullet and did this in 2009 when I bought my Snapper Pro 52" zero turn. I have run it for over 11 years now. Other than maintenance items I have had to replace the hydraulic hoses and the mower deck switch. It has served me well and still continues to.

/ zero turn mowers EXPENSIVE #6  
Agree with above advice. I have an Exmark with Kawasaki engine, 1200 hours and still going strong.

Box store mowers don’t hold up here.

/ zero turn mowers EXPENSIVE #7  
Agree with everyone here. I bought my ZD724 54" Kubota zero turn about 5 years ago, I think. It was painfully expensive for a grass cutter but it was worth it. I have no regrets. Cut my mowing time by over 1/2, probably more, compared to the 54" deck on my BX. Haven't had to do anything to it besides maintenance. Koehler 23 HP has served well.

/ zero turn mowers EXPENSIVE #8  
You have stated the exact reason why I bought a Grasshopper, I'd rather spend more and buy once!

SR

My Grasshopper has 2500 hours and still reliably cutting grass. It’s probably still got more life left than a $3,000 mower would put in.

/ zero turn mowers EXPENSIVE #9  
5 acres is a lot of grass and 3 acres of pines make it a PITA.

Depending on how much grass space is between the pines, I might look at a flail mower with offset. My reasoning:

I have a cabbed tractor and that is better than sitting on a mower
Much less expensive than a commercial ZT
One less machine to maintain (no engine or transmission) and simple to maintain.
One less machine to store...but that means nothing if you have storage space...which I do not.
It will deal with sticks, stones and junk better.

FM-78H Flail Mower | Flail Mower Attachment | Tractor Mower | PTO Mower | -WoodMaxx™

The link above is the one I looked at buying but my 2 acres has way too many things to deal with. Two dozen trees, pond, waterfall, fence, two patios. I will end up with a $5000 ZT eventually.

Last edited:
   / zero turn mowers EXPENSIVE #10  
All I will say is... Kubota makes the best z turn; it will be the only one you will ever buy.