Zero turn mowers

/ Zero turn mowers #1  

joes_427_vette

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH Cub Lo Boy, 955 John Deere , TC 55 DA New Holland, Bolens HT 20 and 1456
Stopped at the JD dealer yesterday to check out a ZTR. The cheapest version they have with a Yanmar diesel lists for $16,000. Needless to say a bit more than I wanted to pay. They had other versions with Kawasaki engines but I'm not impressed with them.
The green paint is very expensive.

/ Zero turn mowers #3  
I have JD equipment but found the X-Mark to be a better buy for a zero turn mower. They cost about the same, perhaps a little less, but are built heavier and really cut the grass.

/ Zero turn mowers #4  
joes_427_vette said:
Stopped at the JD dealer yesterday to check out a ZTR. The cheapest version they have with a Yanmar diesel lists for $16,000. Needless to say a bit more than I wanted to pay. They had other versions with Kawasaki engines but I'm not impressed with them.

I have had a JD 757 coming up on 3 years. It has been awesome. I wanted a diesel also, but went with the gas powered Kawasaki engine. It has been excellent.

There might be better options out there, but i am happy with my 757.

I think the best way to buy one is at the end of mowing season, most landscapers dump them cheap. I would look that way instead of new next time. As solid as these mowers are - i think it will be a long time before I need another one.

D.

/ Zero turn mowers #5  
joes_427_vette said:

I have had a JD 757 coming up on 3 years. It has been awesome. I wanted a diesel also, but went with the gas powered Kawasaki engine. It has been excellent.

There might be better options out there, but i am happy with my 757.

I think the best way to buy one is at the end of mowing season, most landscapers dump them cheap. I would look that way instead of new next time. As solid as these mowers are - i think it will be a long time before I need another one.

D.

/ Zero turn mowers #6  
Joes 427, I run 2 Exmarks with the 25hp Kubota deisel and really like them. They are around $13,000 new I think. How much are you going to mow, You may be better off getting a gas version. The gassers with the EFI are as fuel efficient as a deisel. I have a business and put about 300 hrs a piece on them and I am trading a 2 yr old machine every winter. If you buy a mower from a landscape business be carefull, look the machine over very, very well, some are run really hard. I have seen mowers with only 200-300 hrs that look like they were run through a demo derby! I am a owner/operater and the other machine is run by a retired friend who has run similiar machines himself. If your dealer has any Demos for sale that is your best bet. They should have 100 hrs or less and the bugs should be worked out of them and have full factory warranty left. Plus you will save some money.

/ Zero turn mowers #7  
If diesel is requirement on your new ZTR then I highly suggest checking out a Kubota ZD series. We have a ZD18 for the farm/house that is a great mower. Not sure what size deck you are looking for but the ZD's seem to be priced pretty good.

/ Zero turn mowers #8  
garyfisher123 said:
If diesel is requirement on your new ZTR then I highly suggest checking out a Kubota ZD series. We have a ZD18 for the farm/house that is a great mower. Not sure what size deck you are looking for but the ZD's seem to be priced pretty good.

The Kubota is pretty crazy cool.

One thing you will find out, you will not have to mow anywhere near as long as you did with a lawn tractor. My Ztrack cut my mowing time in half. In the almost 3 years of ownership, I think I have 120 hour on it. I have 4 acres to mow around my house.

D.

/ Zero turn mowers #9  
I wish John Deere would come out with some other diesel options like Kubota has. Some people would like to have a diesel but do not need a 31 horsepower machine. This spring I will be in the market for either a 997 Deere or a ZD331 Kubota with a 72 inch deck but I mow 20 yards every week. I have found these 2 machines spec out pretty close to each other, but the Kubota is around $2100. cheaper on the list price. I will be visiting both dealers to see which one gives the better deal.

/ Zero turn mowers #10  
Joes 427
If you are looking for a Yanmar diesel, try a Dixie Chopper. They have 35.5 hp models, with 74" and 66" decks. They are well made,quick,and leave a very nice cut. They cost around $11,500- $12000. I'm very happy with my Dixie Chopper.