Zero turn mowers

/ Zero turn mowers #11  
I bought a Kubota ZD-21 new and ran it for 3 years then sold at 1300hrs, and bought a ZD28 with a 72" deck. Then also bought a ZD-25 with a 60" deck. These are great machines, as long as you have a dependable dealer. My ZD-28, the rear main seal started leaking so I took it to the dealer as still under warranty. Two other minor problems were addressed while there, fuel tank leaked when full, and one hydro pump was weak. The mower was in the shop for ONE AND A HALF MONTHS before it was released. I either called or stopped every ten or so days to find out the progress. When I got it back the hydro problem was much worse, couldnt even use it when it got warmed up! This is when I traded the other ZD-25 for my first Exmark. Then one week later I took the ZD-28 back in and they had it for ONE MONTH AND FIVE DAYS this time! It was fixed I think, never mowed with it after that, but the dealer never even called or nothing after to see if it was fixed or to explain why this took so long. One time the store manager even admitted most of the problem was the service manager! Was he fired, no! I also want to make this clear, I AM NOT BASHING KUBOTA, like the John Deere thread the other day, Kubota is a great product, my problem was the weasel dealer.

My Exmark dealer is top notch! They are a large John Deere dealership and if I have a problem take it in and it goes into the shop right then and there and is looked at right away, couldnt ask for anything more. I have a Mowing business so I need to get back up and running ASAP.

Kubotas are the Cadillac of mowers IMO, I also really like Exmarks, but not had alot of seat time on other brands. Make sure your dealer is going to take care of you before you buy. Sorry for the long post, I just had to rant and rave about my Kubota experience!!!

Dennis

/ Zero turn mowers #12  
I was in the same situation 2 years ago.

I have a small commercial mowing operation, and 2 years ago I finally decided to go the zero-turn route.
Being that everything I own is diesel, including my wife's VW New Beetle, I was quite hung up on a diesel zero-turn myself.

I've had nothing but Deere equipment since I can remember. Also, living in a very rural area, my Deere dealer is the closest (30 miles away).

For my first zero-turn, the 997 was just way too much - too big, too heavy, and of course, too expensive. I researched the Kubota diesel, and looked like the right size setup for me. But, the nearest Kubota dealer is 60 miles each way, plus I have no experience with them. My Deere dealer has always come through for me if I ever have a problem during mowing season.

So, they had a 727A zero-turn demo machine, which I brought home to try out for a few days. This one has a Kawasaki vertical shaft 23hp with 54" deck. A little smaller than I would have liked, but they gave me a deal on it I couldn't refuse to keep it.
Still not a diesel - it did take me a long time adjusting to running a gas engine for sure.

Went through the last season with that machine, and really got to love it. Small and nimble, and seemed to have plenty of power for my uses.
I am now negotiating to trade that in on a 757 (horizontal shaft Kawi 25hp w/60" deck). The new 2008 line of zero-turns is coming out this month, so I figured I could get a deal on one of their 757's since they are now out dated. I've heard nothing but good reviews on the 757 - plus it is a tried and true machine. I surely would not want one of the new 2008's as this is their first production year.

So, yes, still a slight bit disappointed on not having a diesel for my zero-turn, but these Kawaski engines seem to really put out the power, and have a great history. Sure, the Kawasaki might have to be rebuilt by ~1000 hours, but I usually trade every 2 years, so that is not a concern.

/ Zero turn mowers #13  
My JD 757 has been a wonderful machine. I have only put blades and a battery in it in addition to the usual fluid changes, etc. I figure this machine will last me forever.

D.

/ Zero turn mowers #14  
I have been running a 757 Deere for the last 6 years and would recommend one to anybody. The Kawasaki engines are great , mine has never been back to the dealer for anything.

/ Zero turn mowers #15  
I've been using my 757 for about a year and wouldn't part with it. Normal fluid changes, no problems, shorter cutting time for larger area and super smooth looking lawn.

/ Zero turn mowers #16  
I ditto the 757 comments. I do not really like ZTR's but I liked this one that I bought for my dad. My father is getting a bit more feeble in his elder years, so I suspect I will hire out his mowing during the weeks I cannot do it for the upcoming year. I sold my dad's 757 last month--to my dealer--who is using it for his lawn care business. I suppose that tells you a bit about the machine, when the dealer is eager to give you a fair price to buy it back for his personal business.

John M

/ Zero turn mowers #17  
jcmseven said:
I ditto the 757 comments. I do not really like ZTR's but I liked this one that I bought for my dad. My father is getting a bit more feeble in his elder years, so I suspect I will hire out his mowing during the weeks I cannot do it for the upcoming year. I sold my dad's 757 last month--to my dealer--who is using it for his lawn care business. I suppose that tells you a bit about the machine, when the dealer is eager to give you a fair price to buy it back for his personal business.

John M

How did you do on resale? I always wonder, but really don't care because I don't plan on selling it.

D.

/ Zero turn mowers #18  
ddivinia said:
How did you do on resale? I always wonder, but really don't care because I don't plan on selling it.

D.

Before we purchased the Kubota ZD18 I looked at couple of used 7x7's and the resales seemed VERY high. This is the main reason I switched back to going new. I sometimes wander if this high priced resale trend is on it's way back down a little as many lawn companies are going out of business or downsizing.

/ Zero turn mowers #19  
I sold it for $4500.00. I could have probably gotten more, but my dealer is also a good friend and had cash on hand to buy, so I felt it fair. GF123 is correct. One problem with these machines is that they tend to not depreciate that much (I paid $7000, tax included new two years ago) and JD in particular offers such program discounts it is rarely beneficial not to go new. All in all, I felt it was a fair deal for all involved on my dad's machine. Interestingly, I am planning to hire my friend to mow some for my folks this year--and he will be doing so with my dad's old mower. Go figure.

John M

/ Zero turn mowers #20  
Not too bad - could have been worse. I love mine - added the materials bagger this year - it is incredible.

D.