Zero turn recommendations.

/ Zero turn recommendations. #21  
No, they're usually not the same. But they can be.

The manufacturer tries to accomodate their Dealers by making them a different kind of mower. Maybe more durable, maybe.... Something. But they have to separate themselves from the Big Box stores somehow.

You can't beat "Economies Of Scale". Can't do it. At least, not in this Century. Maybe back in Byzantine times.

So they have to try to keep the smaller dealers in business by offering a niche product.

The question then becomes, "Do I need to pay more?" That is the real question. At what point do you bang your head on diminishing returns? For a pro, keeping his mower running is not an option. It has to be done.

For the Homeowner, it's usually not as important. Plus, Pros don't always do the driving of their own equipment. They often turn loose kids that just got their license revoked or just like to bang into stuff. Most kids are TTD (testtodestruction) anyway.

I am not. If I pay $3k for a ZT, I'm gonna take care of it.
I generally agree with your assessment. However, it would be interesting to note if Big Box stores can sell the same equipment cheaper *because* they sell more units or, because the unit they sell has "cheaper" components ?
It has been many years ago, but a refrigerator (whirpool I think) I bought at HD failed about 2 months after the warrantee expired. Called a repair guy, who before I said a word, said "you bought this at HD didnt you?". He said HD (being a big retailer) orders these with a different cheaper compressor, that is no where are good as the "model you'd buy at an appliance place". This has stuck with me all these years. :(
This effect may not be as bad today.... not certain ? But, if you look at the model / serial numbers, (it has been my experience) often you find "keys" in the numbers that may relate to component "types" ?
However, since I cannot figure out how to tell, and since this is residential (3-4 acres), I suppose I just shop local and for the best price.

/ Zero turn recommendations. #22  
I just went through that process and i'm a world class buyers remorse person.

I bought a Gravely with a kawi motor and 52 inch deck.

Planted grass 3 weeks ago, has not rained a drop.

1 tip.....if you have never driven one, find an open area and set up some cones and practice.

IMHO, they take some getting used to!
I have been looking at Gravely - same size. Can you tell which model number you bought ?

/ Zero turn recommendations. #23  
I have been looking at Gravely - same size. Can you tell which model number you bought ?
will do, gimme about an hour.

I will say, the engine seems to me to idle pretty high. I bought it used, with 10 hours on it so no dealer for me. The seller said he did not like the zt and went back to lawn tractor.

The first thing the seller said was, it idles pretty high but the dealer says that's normal. ok...

We have gone from a rain forest to the dust bowl. This grains of this orange dirt are 1/50th the size of sand. My dogs were wrestling in it yesterday and it looked like a scene from The Grapes of Wrath.

I planted 5 acres in bermuda, weeks ago. Virtually no rain! At this rate I won't ever need a lawn mower.

My nose feels like i been sanding sheetrock without a mask.

/ Zero turn recommendations. #24  
will do, gimme about an hour.

I will say, the engine seems to me to idle pretty high. I bought it used, with 10 hours on it so no dealer for me. The seller said he did not like the zt and went back to lawn tractor.

The first thing the seller said was, it idles pretty high but the dealer says that's normal. ok...

We have gone from a rain forest to the dust bowl. This grains of this orange dirt are 1/50th the size of sand. My dogs were wrestling in it yesterday and it looked like a scene from The Grapes of Wrath.

I planted 5 acres in bermuda, weeks ago. Virtually no rain! At this rate I won't ever need a lawn mower.

My nose feels like i been sanding sheetrock without a mask.
Understand about planting grass. Here in Central Texas, I cannot EVER consider planting seed. Usually NO rain, and IF rain, Floods. Or, worse, .01" per day to sprout seeds then nothing.

/ Zero turn recommendations. #25  
Understand about planting grass. Here in Central Texas, I cannot EVER consider planting seed. Usually NO rain, and IF rain, Floods. Or, worse, .01" per day to sprout seeds then nothing.
Mine is a ZT XL

Here's the manuals

so far, so good.....4 hours

1622035405146.jpeg

/ Zero turn recommendations. #26  
Mine is a ZT XL

Here's the manuals

so far, so good.....4 hours

View attachment 700050
Thanks, I know you have limited hours so far, but once *minor* concern I had about this model is the 2.8 gallon tank ? I think it would be sufficient ? I have a 3.5 gal tank and need one fill to fully mow everything. Hard to say if this is a limitation I should pay attention to... not a big deal I suppose.

/ Zero turn recommendations.
So the Gravely is a lemon mechanically, or you just do not like the Zero turn concept? I‘m about to close on a Kubota Z.

/ Zero turn recommendations. #28  
Thanks, I know you have limited hours so far, but once *minor* concern I had about this model is the 2.8 gallon tank ? I think it would be sufficient ? I have a 3.5 gal tank and need one fill to fully mow everything. Hard to say if this is a limitation I should pay attention to... not a big deal I suppose.
I noticed the small gas tank.

So far the one thing that sticks out......

Kludgiest oil change i've ever done. i've done a few.

i still think im doing something wrong. hard to believe it was designed that way.

/ Zero turn recommendations. #29  
I noticed the small gas tank.

So far the one thing that sticks out......

Kludgiest oil change i've ever done. i've done a few.

i still think im doing something wrong. hard to believe it was designed that way.
UGH. You have to look at EVERYTHING from EVERY angle these days. Quite maddening !!

/ Zero turn recommendations. #30  
I like my John Deere Z530M with 60" deck. It is quick, has good power and an excellent cut. I also got the toe mat and toe bars as I have some steep hills. I wanted the lights but I'm not paying $200 for weak lights so I bought a kit with 2 spots and 1 bar and mounted them myself for $30. I like the hose hookup as well. I got mine for $5,600 all said and done.