Zero turn recommendations.

/ Zero turn recommendations. #31  
Before you buy anything make sure you drive a Walker! Hands down the most comfortable ZT to operate.

/ Zero turn recommendations. #32  
I just got the 54" Ryobi Electric zero turn. Used it once so far and I like it. No belts - no drive belts or deck belts. Each blade has its own motor. Its supposed to be able to cut 3-4 acres.

/ Zero turn recommendations. #33  
Toro fanboy here. Bought a Titan 60 MyRide last year. Love the ride. I do around four acres. Smaller area, a Timecutter would do well. Check into the MyRide, you will not be disappointed. Local dealer's new stock was 90 % MyRide equipped, only have a few left.

/ Zero turn recommendations. #34  
I just got the 54" Ryobi Electric zero turn. Used it once so far and I like it. No belts - no drive belts or deck belts. Each blade has its own motor. Its supposed to be able to cut 3-4 acres.

I've been running a Toro z420 for about 15 years, but the 54" Ryobi has my eye as a possible replacement. Not sure how large my lawn is, but it takes me about 90 minutes with the 42 inch deck.

/ Zero turn recommendations. #35  
I've been running a Toro z420 for about 15 years, but the 54" Ryobi has my eye as a possible replacement. Not sure how large my lawn is, but it takes me about 90 minutes with the 42 inch deck.
I was previously using a 46" Ariens riding mower and it took more than an hour to cut my yard. With the Ryobi it took about 30min and this was very thick wet grass and had 40% battery left when I was done. Probably cut about 2 acres.

/ Zero turn recommendations. #36  
It seems like an ideal application for a electric ZT - use it once a week, recharges for the next session, IF you are ready to replace or buy a new unit then it makes sense $ wise.

We are in the early adoption phase of electrification in general, and will see improvement/innovation in the next two-three years, so I am waiting likely a long time to justify replacing my 52" Ferris that has 330 hour with an electric ZT.

The early days of cordless drills 20+ years ago were great, now those 12V NICAD units are in the dustbin, replaced with new LI tools. I have all 18V and 12V Bosch LI drills and tools now, and got the HF 40V Lynx pole saw and hedge trimmer too, and really like them, so its a matter of time.

Also landscapers need 6 hours + a day mowing time, so these units have a ways to go to achieve that unless they come up with a swappable battery like they do on forklifts in warehouses.

/ Zero turn recommendations. #37  
Understand about planting grass. Here in Central Texas, I cannot EVER consider planting seed. Usually NO rain, and IF rain, Floods. Or, worse, .01" per day to sprout seeds then nothing.
And you get a little more rain than those west of I35.

In East Texas lately they have been getting drenched. Already exceeded the yearly average rainfall.

Try King Ranch zoysia sod in your yard.

Last edited:
   / Zero turn recommendations. #38  
Before you buy anything make sure you drive a Walker! Hands down the most comfortable ZT to operate.

Looks a lot like the Grasshopper. I like the tilt up deck. The levers look somewhat awkward. Do you find you have to lean forward a lot to operate them?

/ Zero turn recommendations. #39  
I think that you really can’t go wrong with at least 10-20 worthy competitors out there. Dealership support, with a great service department and good parts man, may be more important than anything.
I was visiting a customers farm last year and watched him mow a large area with a Ferris zero turn and I hate to admit it, but it will mow faster than my Kubota. That thing was stoopid fast.
Then he let me try it. I felt like I was riding on a cloud. There were suspension components everywhere. It seemed like it was designed specifically to mow terrible ground at fast speed. Big Vanguard gas engine....like 38HP, too. It was the best ZT I ever saw. He is a wealthy guy and spares no money on his toys.
I think my Kubota may run longer with its Diesel engine and who has the tougher driveline, frame, etc. is debatable, but his was more comfortable and mowed faster.

If Ferris could make a ZT with a 35HP Kubota and a durable drivetrain, I would consider buying. But your probably taking north of $25,000..

Last edited:
   / Zero turn recommendations. #40  
I think that you really can’t go wrong with at least 10-20 worthy competitors out there. Dealership support, with a great service department and good parts man, may be more important than anything.
I was visiting a customers farm last year and watched him mow a large area with a Ferris zero turn and I hate to admit it, but it will mow faster than my Kubota. That thing was stoopid fast.
Then he let me try it. I felt like I was riding on a cloud. There were suspension components everywhere. It seemed like it was designed specifically to mow terrible ground at fast speed. Big Vanguard gas engine....like 38HP, too. It was the best ZT I ever saw. He is a wealthy guy and spares no money on his toys.
I think my Kubota may run longer with its Diesel engine and who has the tougher driveline, frame, etc. is debatable, but his was more comfortable and mowed faster.

If Ferris could make a ZT with a 35HP Kubota and a durable drivetrain, I would consider buying. But your probably taking north of $25,000..
I think you are absolutely correct - can't go wrong with 10-20 competitors. I spent some time attempting to find enough difference to choose.... hardly possible to determine. My needs may not match others, and the amount I want to spend does not justify a diesel engine, a Walker (starts at 10K), or other models >4-5K. Reading the OEM websites are not much help either. I have narrowed it down to parts, service and distributors where I live. When it gets down to it, the only items I find a "real" difference are on ease of maintenance (I do not want a model where I have to find the rubber hose to drain the oil) and gas tank size (found a couple 48"-52" with just over 3 gallon gas tanks, a little small I think). Most other factors..... cannot determine enough difference, for me.