Zero turn thoughts on common models

/ Zero turn thoughts on common models #11  
The mower brands you listed all have their following and are good brands, assuming you have good dealer support.
Whichever one you pick, just make sure it has a suspension seat or suspension platform, and enough hp.
There are a lot of under powered units out there.

I used to mow eight acres before we downsized. Used three different ZTs while I owned the property. The one I liked the best was a Scag Cheetah with a 31 hp Kawi. 61" deck.
Had a JD 830A. Was a good mower, but I failed to get the suspension seat which was a big mistake.
I only have 1.5 acres to mow now and sold the Cheetah and got a TC II with a 26hp Kawi. 61" deck. Great mower.

I highly suggest to request the dealers bring the mowers you are looking at to your property for a demo. You will know after the demo on your property what mower is best for you

Last edited:
   / Zero turn thoughts on common models #12  
May I offer my Ferris IS2600Z into the discussion?
You've got hills? This thing has full 4 wheel suspension.
Now granted, I saved up for a number of years for this one but
they do offer many mowers in their line-up for around you price point.
It feels like mowing in your easy chair at 10 mph.
I let my neighbor use mine just once & he had one (IS2000Z 61") the
next week. I think he paid around $7K.

/ Zero turn thoughts on common models #13  
I just picked up my 2021 Bad Boy Maverick two weeks ago. It still has the break-in oil in it. Been too cold to mow more than just the immediate yard. :)

I got mine at Tractor Supply but if I had it to do again, I'd look for a "dealer". TS did a lousy job of assembly/setup. The ROPs was mounted backwards and rattled worse than my 1925 Model T. It didn't help that I had a bad taste in my mouth over the Mini Bike I bought there two weeks earlier. Similar assembly errors on that too. They must use high school shop class dropouts to do their wrench work. :(

/ Zero turn thoughts on common models #15  
Scag Tiger Cat with a Kohler 27hp and the suspension seat. If I were buying one now the only thing I'd change is going with an EFI engine. Mine has never been to a dealer but if it did have to go I'm guessing it'd be behind ALL the lawn care companies who make a living with these machines.

/ Zero turn thoughts on common models #16  
If you have a Hustler dealer near you, check them out. They built the first zero turn 50+ years ago. They are all made in USA (Kansas) and my experience is they provide excellent service and warranty work. My 60" X-One will mow 6 acres an hour, if you can mow at full speed. I have an air ride seat and front suspension, so I can mow fast, but still not full speed. I mow 5 acres and went from 5 hours with my lawn tractor to 90 minutes with the zero turn.

/ Zero turn thoughts on common models
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!

Rob

/ Zero turn thoughts on common models #19  
I have a used 2015 Scag Turf Tiger purchased used 3 years ago with Cat. 28 hp. 330 hrs. because I wanted a diesel but had to drive 3.5 hrs. each direction to purchase it because they don't come up very often.

/ Zero turn thoughts on common models #20  
While it does not have suspension my Gravely pro turn 252z has been bullet proof since 2008. Blown fuse that was a fluke, flat tire, and needle and seat not sealing in carb causing fuel to continue flowing. I'm going to blame that on the cheapo fuel filter I used that let trash by. That's all my trouble since I purchased it.