Zero turn thoughts on common models

/ Zero turn thoughts on common models
The Z997 is a cadillac and seems like the perfect option for me (liking JD and having other diesel equipment), but the fact that it doesn't have any frame suspension surprises me. Does its suspension seat really do that good of job?

Thanks,
Rob

/ Zero turn thoughts on common models #32  
I've been casually looking at adding a zero turn mower for a couple years. I have a JD x758 with 60" deck that works well for me but since I have almost 7 acres to mow it does take me about 4.5 hours. I know a zero turn can shave some time off of that. I love mowing but I could still love it mowing 2.5 or 3 hours a week... doesn't have to be 4.5. :)

My first thought was to look for a Deere ZT but I rapidly realized how much they want for them (new at least). I've researched other brands in the past and come up with a short list of ones I'd consider that seem to be fairly well respected. Being spring I'm back at it and figured I'd query folks here to see if there are any notable pros or cons of the ones I'm considering.

I'm looking for a commercial quality unit because I want it to last and I don't tend to buy lower-end equipment. But I certainly don't need the absolute best/biggest/fastest stuff out there. If we ranked ZTs from cheap-o to cadillac on a 1-10 scale, I'm probably looking for a 7 or 8. I want at least a 60" deck. My yard is mostly flat with a few slight hills and almost 800' of road ditch and similar sloped driveway to mow. I've mowed it all with a Deere z930M ZT a few years ago so I know none of it is too much for a ZT, slope-wise. I'm pondering a 72" deck.

Here are a few of the brands and models I'm looking into right now. They all seem to be in that $9-10k range, either for a sub-400 hour used model or new model. I'd be happier only spending $6k but I don't think that gets me to the features/quality I'm looking for.

eXmark Lazer Z X-series - several 2020 commercial models with under 400 hours available for a bit over $9k
Toro 6000 series - new
Bad Boy Outlaw Rogue - new, upper $9's for 61", low $10's for 72"
Deere Z997r - several used ones with ~300 hours from a local city trading in for about $11k
Scag Tiger Cat - new, upper $9's

I know the Deere is an outlier in features but because these happen to be close in price I'm considering them. I already have diesel equipment so another diesel would be nice - but not required.

The Bad Boy seems like it has some extra features that are kind of nice, like a rear suspension in addition to a suspension seat and separate hydraulic system for each motor/side, as well as extremely thick deck material. And more aggressive tires that are closer to HDAP than the typical turf tires. I'm sure that helps traction but that may also scuff more?

The Deere would be sweet, because it is a much higher caliber unit and diesel.

Scags get talked up quite a bit for their cut. I think they're known for high lift, which would help with my dandelions.

Anyway, appreciate any constructive feedback on pros & cons.

Thanks,
Rob
Everyone has their own preference and they will usually recommend what they own. I have a Scag Cheetah 61 since it first came out. Mow three acres in 1.5 hours. However, my recommendation is to find dealers that are near you and see if they will bring a unit out to your property for you to try. I went through John Deere, Bad Boy, Ferris and Scag, before making my choice. The old Bad Boy and Deere units had no suspension and nearly bounced me off. The Ferris bounced the mower deck a little too much and I didn't like the seat as much as on the Scag. Years of ownership and I think I made the right choice for me, but you are really the one who should have some seat time, if possible, before deciding.

As far as mower size, it would depend a little on how open your land is. If you have to mow close to a lot of things, the 61" will get you closer, avoiding having to go back to hand mow or trim. If you have mainly open fields, i would recommend the 72" to keep your mowing time low. Also, remember that the larger the mower, the more it will bridge over uneven spots.

/ Zero turn thoughts on common models #33  
I have an eXmark Radius Ultracut series 3 with a 52" deck. 708cc V-Twin commercial engine. I bought this new in the spring of 2019 so have used it 2 full years. Paid $6,300 including tax at that time. It has the suspension seat which you can adjust for your weight. I had never had that type of seat before and now at 63 years old I will never be without it. I mow about about 5 acres which is mostly flat, but has quite a few trees to spin around. In the open areas I can mow at up to 8 mph and still get a nice cut. If your grass is thick a little slower will yield a nicer cut.

I love this mower, but the zt I had before was a low end Cub Cadet so this is a big upgrade. I actually like mowing my lawn again. Maintenance is easy and I have had no problems. I take good care of it, but use it heavily. It also seems very easy on gas. Don't have actual gallons/hour of mowing, but subjectively it seems very good.

I would buy another eXmark in a heart beat if I needed another mower. I have no experience with the other brands mentioned so can't comment there. I do know buying a much higher end model was definitely worth the money.

/ Zero turn thoughts on common models #34  
As others have said, everything you are looking at seems to be of decent quality. Whichever brand you decide on focus on the seat, I put a new air ride seat on my Scag Wildcat a couple of years ago and it was the best money I've spent in a long time. My back thanks me every time I mow.

/ Zero turn thoughts on common models #35  
Try a Ferris, Zero turn or Stander, for that acreage you deserve the best money can buy (you body will thank you ).

/ Zero turn thoughts on common models #36  
I've been casually looking at adding a zero turn mower for a couple years. I have a JD x758 with 60" deck that works well for me but since I have almost 7 acres to mow it does take me about 4.5 hours. I know a zero turn can shave some time off of that. I love mowing but I could still love it mowing 2.5 or 3 hours a week... doesn't have to be 4.5. :)

My first thought was to look for a Deere ZT but I rapidly realized how much they want for them (new at least). I've researched other brands in the past and come up with a short list of ones I'd consider that seem to be fairly well respected. Being spring I'm back at it and figured I'd query folks here to see if there are any notable pros or cons of the ones I'm considering.

I'm looking for a commercial quality unit because I want it to last and I don't tend to buy lower-end equipment. But I certainly don't need the absolute best/biggest/fastest stuff out there. If we ranked ZTs from cheap-o to cadillac on a 1-10 scale, I'm probably looking for a 7 or 8. I want at least a 60" deck. My yard is mostly flat with a few slight hills and almost 800' of road ditch and similar sloped driveway to mow. I've mowed it all with a Deere z930M ZT a few years ago so I know none of it is too much for a ZT, slope-wise. I'm pondering a 72" deck.

Here are a few of the brands and models I'm looking into right now. They all seem to be in that $9-10k range, either for a sub-400 hour used model or new model. I'd be happier only spending $6k but I don't think that gets me to the features/quality I'm looking for.

eXmark Lazer Z X-series - several 2020 commercial models with under 400 hours available for a bit over $9k
Toro 6000 series - new
Deere Z997r - several used ones with ~300 hours from a local city trading in for about $11k

I know the Deere is an outlier in features but because these happen to be close in price I'm considering them. I already have diesel equipment so another diesel would be nice - but not required.

The Bad Boy seems like it has some extra features that are kind of nice, like a rear suspension in addition to a suspension seat and separate hydraulic system for each motor/side, as well as extremely thick deck material. And more aggressive tires that are closer to HDAP than the typical turf tires. I'm sure that helps traction but that may also scuff more?

Scags get talked up quite a bit for their cut. I think they're known for high lift, which would help with my dandelions.

Thanks,
Rob
I have a 2014 Lazer Z with Kawasaki and 60" deck. Mow about 4 acres and around lots of trees and other obstacles. Love it for open spaces, but up close to the house, a ztr makes bad divots in the grass, so i have to watch it.

/ Zero turn thoughts on common models #37  
As others have noted, at least get a suspension seat. Love mine.

/ Zero turn thoughts on common models #38  

Toro 6000 series - new

Thanks,
Rob
Probably not what you wanna hear since it sounds like you’re pretty well set on a zero turn. IMO you will not shave two or maybe not even one hour off by going to a zero turn. The amount you do shave off will not be worth the amount of comfort you will be giving up. I’ve used both XMark and JD garden tractor X485 w/62” deck. The zero turn can mow fast but to do so much faster than your JD will result in you practically bouncing out of the seat. That, combined with having to constantly hold the sticks forward while cutting make for a pretty uncomfortable mowing experience. If you want to still enjoy mowing, stick with the comfortable seat, power steering and cruise control unit. Just my 2c worth. Good luck.

/ Zero turn thoughts on common models #39  
Probably not what you wanna hear since it sounds like you’re pretty well set on a zero turn. IMO you will not shave two or maybe not even one hour off by going to a zero turn. The amount you do shave off will not be worth the amount of comfort you will be giving up. I’ve used both XMark and JD garden tractor X485 w/62” deck. The zero turn can mow fast but to do so much faster than your JD will result in you practically bouncing out of the seat. That, combined with having to constantly hold the sticks forward while cutting make for a pretty uncomfortable mowing experience. If you want to still enjoy mowing, stick with the comfortable seat, power steering and cruise control unit. Just my 2c worth. Good luck.

I can only speak from anecdotal experience as I have only driven a zero turn since I moved to the country. Going from a 48" to a 60" deck in the same model I saved 45 minutes of mowing.
If I lived close to the OP I would loan him my 60" Toro HD 2000 just see how much time he could shave off.
If he's mowing 7 acres in 4-1/2 hrs I call that a win as it takes my about 2-1/2 hrs to mow 2-1/2 acres but mine is mostly mowing around trees and very few long runs.

/ Zero turn thoughts on common models #40  
Scag me with a spoon. w/ Kawasaki engine