ZTR: Commercial/residential or what?

/ ZTR: Commercial/residential or what? #1  

Will_C

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560, Toro 52" and 60" ZTRs, Kubota RTV 900
I hope you have the patience for one more ZTR post. I have been thinking about buying one to take some wear and tear off the BX 2200. If I could spend $9800, I'd just buy a ZD-21 and be done with it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I mow about 4.5 acres between the two places I maintain. I mow quite often, about 32 times a growing season. I have no major problems (hills, slopes, obstacles etc.) on either of the two lawns. I spend about 80 minutes on my Mother's lawn and 100 minutes on mine, not counting trimming. Here is what I am looking for from you folks:
1. The BX has a 60" MMM. Could I be as productive with a 48"-54" Z? Stepping up to a 60" Z seems to be a major increase in price. I am comfortable with the amount of time I spend mowing now, but would not want to spend any more time.

2. I put just about 100 hours mowing on the BX every year. This is where I have a concern about residential models. Every machine I have owned or used has been, IMHO, commercial quality. Before the BX, I owned/used a pair of Case/Ingersoll tractors. My experience prejudices me toward "serious" toys /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif,er, tools. Would a residential model make me happy? Could I expect 7-8 years service with no major problems?

3. I would like to keep the $$ down on this potential purchase. I bought a new truck last summer and plan on building a pole barn this summer. If I can't make this Z purchase work for less than $6000 or so, I'll just postpone it. After all, there is nothing wrong with my BX (5yrs. and 870 hours.) I think that if I limit the usage on the tractor to FEL work on such, I should be able to plan on having it for a long, long time. Any recommended models or brands in this price range?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, I always find them helpful.
Will

/ ZTR: Commercial/residential or what? #2  
I mow about the same acreage. Bought a Ferris 1500 48 inch deck last month for $5,400 and couldn't be happier. Cut my mowing time in half and I'm having fun mowing hte property now.

$6,000 is plenty for a geat commercial unit.

/ ZTR: Commercial/residential or what? #3  
In the first place, if your only concern is keeping the hours down on the BX, I wouldn't even worry about it. 870 hours in 5 years? You should never wear it out. However, for my opinion as to your questions:

1. Yes, I think you can mow as fast with a 48"-54" ZTR as you can a 60" BX.
2. Yes, I would expect 7 or 8 years with no major problems on a residential model, but since I've only had one less than a year, that's just my "expectation" with no real evidence.
3. No recommendation as to brand. If you've been reading the threads on ZTRs, you probably realize that, just as with tractors, there are many good brands. I was looking for a cheap price and bought a Toro; I like it, and have no idea whether it will be any better or worse than several other brands over the long haul.

/ ZTR: Commercial/residential or what? #4  
4.5 acres, I think you'll want a commercial mower. I went with the ZD21 last spring and love the machine. Yes it's pricey, but it will outlast me, it's diesel and gets great mileage, and my mow time was reduced by 2/3's.

/ ZTR: Commercial/residential or what? #5  
Will C, I choose or what! If your happy with your tractor and the way it mows, forget about a ZTR (as bird mentioned)...put the hours on it ,its a diesel and will last,and last,and last, or is that the energizer bunny?? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

If you NEED to save time ,well then thats another story all-together, The Wife might just BITE on that line of reasoning. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ ZTR: Commercial/residential or what? #6  
The Gravely 2148 is right at or under 4k and is idealy suited for what you have in mind. How's that for a specific recommendation? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ ZTR: Commercial/residential or what?
Thanks for all the thoughts. I'll keep that Gravely in mind when I will go shopping, slammer. Bird, my brother has the largest Toro (18hp. and 52" deck), and has done well mowing 3 acres with it the last two years. The Toro dealer is local and a good guy.
You guys have got me thinking. Maybe I'll just keep using the BX. I love the way it mows, and in my rational mind know I should expect 2-3000 hours from it, if not more. It has been babied with maintenence, etc. My irrational mind, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks again,
Will

/ ZTR: Commercial/residential or what? #8  
I just bought a Gravley 44z for $4500. Mows like a dream. Cuts through high wet grass like butter.

Later
JimC

/ ZTR: Commercial/residential or what? #9  
I shopped and bought my ZTR last year. I bought commercial and am very glad I did. I bought a Scag wildcat 61" deck, 27hp Kohler v-twin. It does a great job.

I mow 4 acres. It used to take me 3 hours to mow with my Kubota Grand L3010 w a RFM, now I can mow it in 1 1/2 hour with the Scag.

Besides the time savings factor, with two mowing machines you might get a little help. My wife and son both enjoy taking a turn mowing now. This didn't ever happen with the tractor. Now I do all my mowing with the ZTR, so I can have the tractor ready with the Box Blade or Rotary cutter at all times. I really like that convenience. I still like seat time on the tractor better, but the ZTR does make mowing a little more fun. I really like doing the tight circles and not having to go back and trim places that you miss. I think a Scag tiger cub would come in around your 6k price point. If your looking at commercial I'd also look at Exmark if it were me.

Good luck.

Moon of Ohio

/ ZTR: Commercial/residential or what? #10  
Will,

Get a commerical 27hp 61" ZTR you will not regret having the extra horsepower and girth, I have a Ferris 3000 GT 61" and as far as I know it is the only one on the market with shock absorbers. If you mow fast and have bumpy ground your body will thank you big time for that extra feature.

My 2 cents worth!

db