I'm a Believer... No Not the Song... R4 Tire Grooving

/ I'm a Believer... No Not the Song... R4 Tire Grooving #1  

LittleBill21

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 26XL, White
First go around since I grooved the tires, big big difference, I don't know if the snow was different, it was definitely heavier, but significantly less trouble this time, almost 0 spinning and hills i needed diff lock and had to spin my way up, i went in reverse (no diff lock at all). To those of you debating, i would definitely do tire grooving before going chains to see if its enough. I am not buying chains now. (90 vs 800)

20210222_162114.jpg20210222_162125.jpg

/ I'm a Believer... No Not the Song... R4 Tire Grooving #2  
How long did it take you, and what groover / iron did you use? Looks like you did a great job. Contemplating doing my B2601.

/ I'm a Believer... No Not the Song... R4 Tire Grooving
   / I'm a Believer... No Not the Song... R4 Tire Grooving #4  
I never thoght about the ATV, good idea.

/ I'm a Believer... No Not the Song... R4 Tire Grooving #5  
Tire siping - same idea. I always had my big M/S tires siped on my Jeep. Jeep was light and siping REALLY helped in snow and ice. Local tire store - Les Schwab - has a special tool for siping.

Tire siping - same idea. I always had my big M/S tires siped on my Jeep. Jeep was light and siping REALLY helped in snow and ice. Local tire store - Les Schwab - has a special tool for siping.

the tool i listed above will do siping, you just need to turn the blade around. siping doesn't work apparently on tractor tires as they don't spin fast enough i guess to have any benefit, thus why tractors get grooved

/ I'm a Believer... No Not the Song... R4 Tire Grooving #7  
I did the grooves last yr and it definitely makes a big difference and if your tires are rimgard loaded you will notice the difference.

I did the grooves last yr and it definitely makes a big difference and if your tires are rimgard loaded you will notice the difference.

I have washer fluid in all 4, and a BH hanging off the back. I was smashing frozen snow banks down like it was nothing in High.

/ I'm a Believer... No Not the Song... R4 Tire Grooving #9  
I've seen that mentioned here before, how does it work? Not quite sure I understand how these shallow grooves work where the large lugged tires don't.

I've seen that mentioned here before, how does it work? Not quite sure I understand how these shallow grooves work where the large lugged tires don't.

Simply gives the tire more biting surface into the snow, snow on snow causes friction, friction allows grip, i have effectively double the gripping force by adding this. at least thats the way it was explained to me. you definitely do notice a difference.