I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit?

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #31  
Where I live, the require a permit for EVERYTHING...Even to paint the inside of your house or to replace a window. Your grass can't be over 12" tall either...

My uncle was putting on a new roof without getting a permit and they threw him in jail!!!

It's crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's one state off my list. A permit to paint, craziness. I did a permit for my AG pool, had the guy out once and had to change some stuff. I never had him come back out to look at the fixes though.

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #32  
I was told by the local building inspector that any structure larger than a dog house will require a permit in my town.
Of course I live in Taxachusetts. :mad:

Ken

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #33  
best stay out of baltimore county maryland also. Paint inside or out , fence, re shingle a roof anything that changes the value of your house needs a permit. The inspectors are politically appointed and few know what they are inspecting. They and the local contractors have a private club of sorts. Get a contractor not in the club and you will fail inspection, one in the club they usually have the inspection sheet signed before they get there. I have lots of examples that happened to me while building my house.
That's one state off my list. A permit to paint, craziness. I did a permit for my AG pool, had the guy out once and had to change some stuff. I never had him come back out to look at the fixes though.

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #34  
yep.. I've heard of places that make you permit for paint or fencing... yikes!

here, on A1 land we can build a pole building as long as no power or water, .. needs no permit...

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #36  

Depends on the municipality. Up my way... they don't care as much.

In the end it all comes down to money. They want ours and we want to keep it. :D

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #37  
i don't mind the permit fees often.. it's the BS and red tape and flaming hoops they make you go thru that are a PITA.

if it was just revenue enforcement i'd be more 'ok' with it.

same with traffic tickets?

ok. i know your municipality is a hungry money grubbing greedy SOB.. but why tack a civil penalty on it too??

:)

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit?
i don't mind the permit fees often.. it's the BS and red tape and flaming hoops they make you go thru that are a PITA.

How true! I was curious about requirements in our area and found some info for the county south of us. The Table of Contents shows what a property owner is up against. (I'm surprised there's no section regulating oxygen use of the air above your land.): :confused2:

I'd like to build a barn. Do I need a permit?
What projects need a building permit?
I want to build a tool shed, but a neighbor told me I need a permit to build it. Is that true?
What are the setback requirements?
Do I need a permit to clear vegetation from my property? What about next to my creek?
Can I cut down a tree or use a tree for firewood on my property?
Can you explain the notice I received from the Weed Board?
Can I outlet rainwater from the roof of my house, barn, or outbuilding directly to the ditch along the
county road by my property?
Can I deepen or work in an existing ditch on private property that may have silted in over the years?
I've heard that farmers don't need to get any permits. Is that true?
What kind of activities will trigger the need for a grading permit?
If I want to build a pond on my property, what do I need to know before I build one? What if I just like
the sound of running water, can I build a water feature?
Can I raise trout? How about other fish species?
Can I draw water from the small stream that flows on my property?
If I cannot use surface waters, what about using my well water?
What is an easement and how does it affect the use of my property?
What general advice would be good when looking at doing projects on my acreage?

http://clark.wsu.edu/horticulture/smallAcreageProgram/sm-ac-FAQ9-3-04.pdf

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #39  
it is scary what some folks do, to try and cut corners. and corners are cut so badly. that it can create a major hazard.

there one folk i always quickly think of. junk and garbage laying all over the yard, when i mean garbage i actually mean regular house hold garbage, to stuff that just broke down and that is were it lies dead. and when say broke down, i mean had a live animal that had health issues and died, and yes i do mean tractors, cars, and everything else.

also wells, that are in the same live stock pen area, with no protection. as in, when the animal goes pee or poo. the well gets a splash of yellow or brown.

if you want to risk your own health and life, and you fully understand the possible problems and willing to accept them. that is fine with me. but when ya put other folks health at risk, that is a different story.

i do get permits as needed when needed. i know i do make mistakes here and there. normally though, i tend to be person trying to talk others and those trying to help. to do it the correct way. vs trying to cut a corner. and having to redo the entire thing again. when it does fail.

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #40  
How true! I was curious about requirements in our area and found some info for the county south of us. The Table of Contents shows what a property owner is up against. (I'm surprised there's no section regulating oxygen use of the air above your land.): :confused2:

I'd like to build a barn. Do I need a permit?
What projects need a building permit?
I want to build a tool shed, but a neighbor told me I need a permit to build it. Is that true?
What are the setback requirements?
Do I need a permit to clear vegetation from my property? What about next to my creek?
Can I cut down a tree or use a tree for firewood on my property?
Can you explain the notice I received from the Weed Board?
Can I outlet rainwater from the roof of my house, barn, or outbuilding directly to the ditch along the
county road by my property?
Can I deepen or work in an existing ditch on private property that may have silted in over the years?
I've heard that farmers don't need to get any permits. Is that true?
What kind of activities will trigger the need for a grading permit?
If I want to build a pond on my property, what do I need to know before I build one? What if I just like
the sound of running water, can I build a water feature?
Can I raise trout? How about other fish species?
Can I draw water from the small stream that flows on my property?
If I cannot use surface waters, what about using my well water?
What is an easement and how does it affect the use of my property?
What general advice would be good when looking at doing projects on my acreage?

http://clark.wsu.edu/horticulture/smallAcreageProgram/sm-ac-FAQ9-3-04.pdf

looking through the PDF file you linked to. what is needed for a permit and info that is stated. sounds fairly reasonable.

grading permit.... ya some folk up stream, may want to do a large redo of landscaping of yard. but 1/2 mile down stream. were all the water goes. along with any mud / water ends up. can be a completely different story. for folks that live right near were the stream enters the lake, were once lake was 20 feet deep is now only 5 feet deep within a couple years.

have you been out onto any major rivers? or looked into any streams. that water gets pretty nasty pretty fast, from erosion problems up stream and streams that feed into the rivers.

i hope you are not the person, i always think about. that has been sited multi times. for a gully washer errr ice glacier of cow manure, and pig manure, running from a live stock pen. down a hill a few hundred feet, into the ditch, and over the ditch, and then going down into the nearby stream, which has a few near by houses shortly down the stream. and be afraid any sort of spark that might happen. due to the gasses coming from the manure.

are you one them folks, that stocked there lakes with a fish, that got out of the overflow. and started wiping out a good portion of the local wild life? carp anyone? woops there went the kid off the boat, that just got hit by a carp that got spoked and jumped out of the water and hit the kid off the boat.

so you just pumped 20,000 gallons out of the nearby creak. to wash vehicles and everything else down, and you just did a big chemical treatment as well. so are you the person, that is responsible for the large fish kill down stream, with fish floating up filling the sides of the bank of the stream?

so are you the person. that just sucked out someones septic tank. and because you were out in middle of know were decided to dump the septic tank waste water into the near by field. were it just all ran down into the creak 50 feet away? and not a single thing actually was filtered out beyond leaving a film of nasty smell over everything.

========================
errr, re-read post before posting it, and statements seem like they were directed to you personally lady tonka, but are just generic statements geared at everyone. and what many neighbors around here have went through, with a given person. i realize for many folks, many of them codes and regulations does not make sense, and ya just gotta scratch your head. and like huh? but when your the one receiving the ugly stick of someone elses doings. it is not so fun at all.