35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #41  
It seems the current trend of farming under the 150hp or so mark, traction don't seem to be the issue. Rather power. Because discs, soil finishers, chisel plows, etc are designed to be pulled pretty fast.

Something designed for a 140 hp tractor...a 140hp 2wd tractor is going to pull it at speed just fine. Will a 100hp 4wd tractor pull it....probably. got the traction to with the extra drive wheels. But does it have the HP to maintain the ground speed desired or is it gonna labor and lug down?

Now the great big stuff...300-600hp. I think they just need AWD to get power to the ground. But the 100-200hp farmers...most are operating in 2wd most of the time.

But farming is usually under ideal conditions. Us utility guys that have a tractor as a swiss-army knife so to speak...we are out when wet, play in the mud, get too close and sucked into a pond edge or creek, etc. If all I ever did was flat, dry, farm work, there would be little need for 4wd

Certainly I'm in 2wd most of the time, or I'd have no grass left! I think I'd be a 100 hp farmer, as I'd be a flatland farmer.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #42  
Take two identical tractors, EXCEPT one is MFWD and the other is 2wd.

In decent conditions, the 2wd tractor will "out pull" the MFWD tractor that's in 2wd...

Once you get above 140hp or so, you just can't put any more hp through a 2wd and get the traction to use it... You just need those front tires working for you...

SR

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #43  
Take two identical tractors, EXCEPT one is MFWD and the other is 2wd.

In decent conditions, the 2wd tractor will "out pull" the MFWD tractor that's in 2wd...

SR

How?? I don't get it?

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #44  
How?? I don't get it?

Either he edited his post or I miss read it the first time. The dedicated 2wd tractor will out pull the 4wd tractor that's in 2wd because it usually has bigger back wheels.

Last edited:
   / 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #45  
Nope, not edited.

Two identical tractors.....one 4wd pulling in 2wd and the other 2wd only.....

Not sure how one can say the 2wd will out pull.

Rear tire size is usually the same.

Sure, there are usually some more options on tire size for the 2wd because it don't have to worry about ratios.

I take his post as two identical tractors meaning same model.

Like the MX Kubota can be had in either 2wd or 4wd.

Dame with a few of the JD 5-series.

So take a mx4800 in 2wd and take a 4wd mx4800 and leave it in 2wd.......how can you possibly come to the conclusion that the 2wd will out pull the 4wd (that is left in 2wd)?

If anything, a 4wd version of the same model will have an advantage. Larger front tires float better and roll easier. They also have a little more front end weight due to the 4wd axle.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #46  
Weight distribution. 70/30 on a 2wd. 60/40 on a 4WD. More weight to the rear wheels in a 2WD that is ballasted will have more traction than a 4WD that is also in 2WD.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #47  
Either he edited his post or I miss read it the first time. The dedicated 2wd tractor will out pull the 4wd tractor that's in 2wd because it usually has bigger back wheels.

My 100 hp JD 4230C had 18.4x38s with 3 each 150# weights per rear wheel plus about 7 100# weights on the front bracket. The 6530 has 16.9x28s. The Deere weighed up around 11k with the cab and weights and the 6530 around 7k with cab and loader, 50 gallons of fluid per rear. So yes, at least in my corral, on smaller wheels and lighter for the 4wd.
---------------------
For the doubters, it's a no brainer. Just hook up your implement and get out in the field in 2wd and knock yourself out. Then do nothing but engage 4wd and bring yourself up to reality.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #48  
My 100 hp JD 4230C had 18.4x38s with 3 each 150# weights per rear wheel plus about 7 100# weights on the front bracket. The 6530 has 16.9x28s. The Deere weighed up around 11k with the cab and weights and the 6530 around 7k with cab and loader, 50 gallons of fluid per rear. So yes, at least in my corral, on smaller wheels and lighter for the 4wd.
---------------------
For the doubters, it's a no brainer. Just hook up your implement and get out in the field in 2wd and knock yourself out. Then do nothing but engage 4wd and bring yourself up to reality.

Two totally different machines.

He did say two identical tractors.

Two tractors of the SAME model one being 4wd and one being 2wd....they are usually gonna have the same sized rears, and the same weight over the rears.

True, weight added because of a heavier front axle changes the distribution percentage, but doesn't add or remove the total weight from the rear axle.

Every tractor is different. And we can do this all day. Comparing a 2wd tractor of brand/model x to a 4wd tractor of brand /model y. We are accomplishing nothing.

He clearly stated two identical tractors. A 2wd, and a 4wd version of the same machine but left in 2wd....that the 2wd will still pull harder. Hogwash. Not gonna happen.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #49  
Weight distribution.
WE HAVE A WINNER! Weight distribution is the right answer!

We have a few PROLIFIC posters here that seem to THINK they know EVERYTHING and I wondered if they would figure it out, but nope they missed this one...

Many years ago, an old tractor dealer told me the 2wd would pull more, so I wanted to try it myself to see it happen...

Two identical tractors, both full of fuel ect... In a pasture we hooked up an over size off set deere disk (for the size tractor hp) and pulled it.

NO question the 2wd pulled it faster but it did spin a lot. The MFWD tractor went a little faster with the fronts engaged but only because it was spinning less. You could feel that the 2wd was better balanced...

There was a noticeable difference in the 2wd's "pulling power" in the sod but less and less as the ground got loose.....AND that's not hogwash!

SR

Last edited:
   / 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #50  
WE HAVE A WINNER! Weight distribution is the right answer!

We have a few PROLIFIC posters here that seem THINK they know EVERYTHING and I wondered if they would figure it out, but nope they missed this one...

Many years ago, an old tractor dealer told me the 2wd would pull more, so I wanted to try it myself to see it happen...

Two identical tractors, both full of fuel ect... In a pasture we hooked up an over size off set deere disk (for the size tractor hp) and pulled it.

NO question the 2wd pulled it faster but it did spin a lot. The MFWD tractor went a little faster with the fronts engaged but only because it was spinning less. You could feel that the 2wd was better balanced...

There was a noticeable difference in the 2wd's "pulling power" in the sod but less and less as the ground got loose.....AND that's not hogwash!

SR

I am trying to understand how you determine more pulling power by the feel? When you clearly state the 4 wheel drive pulled faster unless the gearing was different .

The only real argument I have with some of the statements here is when they blindly say that a 30HP with 4 wheel drive will out pull any old tractor with 50 or 60 hp. I know they think its true they want it to be true, but it just isn't true for all the tractors made. Repeatedly I have pulled things with tractors that only had 2 wheel drive that I cant budge with a light 4 wheel drive machine. Not very scientific but if it doesn't move at all and the 50hp can pull it all day long we don't need actual FT LBS of pull measured.

When my friends backhoe broke down the bucket was down in the ground. His repeated attempts at pulling the machine out with his only other machine where nothing but comical. A 30 HP JD with 4 wheel drive. I called a friend who lived close to bring over his 2 wheel drive Massy which I think is rated at 56HP but is only 2 wheel drive, He simply pulled that case right out dragging the bucket right up to the surface as he pulled from the same exact points that my friend had rigged the chains for his smaller JD.

SO all I ask is that people do understand that there is a little more to this than simple 4 wheel or 2 wheel drive and that HP and weight can and do play a big part in things.

I also see a posting about a 2 wheel drive tractor without chains being driven in snow deeper than the axels. The poster says that was his wake up that he needed 4 wheel drive but again I have driven both 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive machines in snow deeper than the axels and my only thought is they both need chains on the rear tires but I didn't get stuck at the bottom of the ravine with the 2 wheel drive while the 4x4 did stay the night.. Yes that old ford got out and inched its way back up while the JD stayed at the bottom just spinning tires.