HST vs. Shuttle shift

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #41  
HST is more about non ground engaging implements whereas gear drive is about ground engaging implements.

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #42  
HST is more about non ground engaging implements whereas gear drive is about ground engaging implements.

Ditto plus normally hydrostatic trans requires more fuel to accomplish same task as gear drives similar to auto trans vs gear trans in pickups.

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #43  
Maybe somebody here can explain how my shuttle shift is "synchromesh". They say it is, but I think synchromesh means there are little clutches in the transmission that block the engagement of a gear until they can bring the spinning parts to the same speed, so it doesn't grind (all of which is with the clutch in of course). Having owned cars with only two synchromesh gears (2 & 3) and cars like my current one with 6 forward and 1 reverse gear all synchromesh, I do appreciate the difference (no more double clutching and faster multipoint turns).

From the New Holland WM25 manual:
"The transmission shuttle shift lever (1) is located on the left-hand side of the dash panel. The shuttle shift lever is used to engage the transmission into forward or reverse mode while depressing the clutch pedal. Move the lever forward for forward travel and rearward for reverse travel.
NOTICE: Do not attempt to operate the shuttle lever while the tractor is moving, it may cause damage to the synchromesh gear. The clutch pedal must be depressed and tractor motion stopped to operate the shuttle lever."

I can attest that shifting this while the tractor is moving a little will grind.

Can anybody enlighten me how this is synchromesh?

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #44  
I'll take a guess.

Maybe the transmission gears are synchromesh but the F/R shuttle isn't?

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #45  
I believe you will find with a syncro shuttle that when changing directions after clutching and while stopping with light pressure on your shuttle you will not hear gears grinding, then when stopped the shuttle will allow the completion of the direction change and you can start reengaging your clutch.
When using a non syncro shuttle if you even start to engage your direction change before being completely stopped you will be grinding gears.

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #46  

Not true. I pull a heavy 24x22x9 2160# disk with my HST.

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #47  
Not true. I pull a heavy 24x22x9 2160# disk with my HST.

It would be interesting to see an accurate comparison of efficiency with a 50hp HST versus a 50hp gear drive doing the same ground engagement task. I would suspect the fuel useage after a few hours would be much different. Maybe 25% or more?

I don't recall ever seeing such a comparison.

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #48  
When I hook a chain to a stump to pull it over, I prefer my hydrostat to any other type of transmission, as I can apply stead, even and ever increasing pressure. No jerking. That is rather "ground engagening". :)

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #49  
I've only used to types of drive, gear and HST (my current Mahindra 3550). HST is the only thing for me. Mine has cruise control but I've never used it. All my working is typically around lots of trees and HST is good for tigh spots and lots of forward and backward with bucket or grapple. HST is just what I need. Its also real simple, low, med, High, set which ever one you need and push the pedal to go forward or push the other one to go backwards.

/ HST vs. Shuttle shift #50  
I've said this before, maybe in this thread, I've got three tractors with three different transmissions. Each one is perfect on that particular tractor. :)